Dilemma about a find on private land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Dilemma about a find on private land

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:45 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:From past experience, I would monitor the area with a trailcamera to determine who is the owner of the feeder. With proper evidence, I would then approach the landowner and ask him how he wants to proceed. If no one comes back, just remove it.

if he put his camera near that area, he may have a hard time proving to the warden that he is not part of the baiting activity.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:45 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:From past experience, I would monitor the area with a trailcamera to determine who is the owner of the feeder. With proper evidence, I would then approach the landowner and ask him how he wants to proceed. If no one comes back, just remove it.

if he put his camera near that area, he may have a hard time proving to the warden that he is not part of the baiting activity.

Yeah, but is it illegal to bait during the season or the off season too in the state? Most of those baiters are going to have their bait out a couple months before season...If you catch them at that point you can then get the authorities involved when the bait is still there during hunting season.

If it's illegal year around I agree about not putting the camera out. However, if you tell the warden what your doing beforehand you wouldn't have to worry about getting in trouble by them.

Mount the camera high aiming down if you go that route.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:46 am

One thing that angers me about illegal baiting is that hunting anywhere near it is also illegal even if I didn't place the bait and I am not hunting "over" it. Therefore that area is off-limits to me anyway.

I have no idea how far you need to be away from bait in Indiana.

I suppose that's where having a good relationship with a local warden comes in. If you could discuss your concerns "hypothetically"...
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:54 am

I'd would just ignore it - hunt away from it or find a new spot

Don't bother the old man... he doesn't want anything to do with it.

Getting involved is just gonna create headaches
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 am

Bucky wrote:I'd would just ignore it - hunt away from it or find a new spot

I would have to agree. There is an old baiting barrel that someone put corn in where I hunt. Its off the beaten path and I can see it from one of my stands. Its never been filled since I have hunted there so I don't even worry about it. I'd just check it out close to the season and make sire it isn't filled. If there isn't any bait in it come time for the season, I wouldn't even worry about it.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:50 am

Bucky wrote:I'd would just ignore it - hunt away from it or find a new spot

I agree, just let it go. What harm is a little feeder gonna do anyways?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:10 am

seeds wrote:One thing that angers me about illegal baiting is that hunting anywhere near it is also illegal even if I didn't place the bait and I am not hunting "over" it. Therefore that area is off-limits to me anyway.

I have no idea how far you need to be away from bait in Indiana.

I suppose that's where having a good relationship with a local warden comes in. If you could discuss your concerns "hypothetically"...

It is not easy to have a good relationship with game wardens in Indiana....however, it is my understanding that the distance from bait should be at least a 200 yard circle in distance from it. Once again, what I don't know is, is it legal to bait for the purpose of pics out of season as long as you have the bait removed 2 weeks prior to season open?? If you just found the feeder and they guy didn't have it up during the season, it is conceivable that he isn't doing anything illegal. I guess that depends on one's interpretation of what "purpose of taking a deer" means. I think we need Bill Clinton in on this one!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:27 am

If you walked the property that I hunt in IN you'd find 3 similar style feeders. I supplemental feed Jan thru mid September. The law is 10 days, but I don't think you have a "dilemma" until you know it's been used for baiting/killing game.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:02 am

Like said before, it's ten day prior to hunting not the start of a season. Corn would be easy to tell and clean up, I'd check for mineral sites too, because the CO will absolutely test the soil. I'd leave it alone until you knew it was being baited while you or someone else was hunting the property. If you find it being baited next season, I'd let the land owner know and if he didn't care, I'd still let a CO know. Not only is it illegal to hunt over bait, it's pretty inconsiderate of the other guy if he knows you hunt the property too, cuz you'll get tagged just for hunting the property whether you knew it was there or not. The ICO's won't let ignorance fly as an excuse.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:19 am

Land owners can be funny people some times. I hunted a farm back in 1980 Lester and Harlem owned it. Lester was the brains and Harlem was the Brawn. They were a couple of drunks but always let me hunt as long as I didn't bother them and shut all the gates when I went through.

I was hunting in a timber finger in between 2 corn fields. Lester drives his tractor out and throws out a salt block about 40 yards from my stand trying to help me out. :roll: I never did say anything to him but I had to never hunt that stand site again. Sometimes landowners have a different idea of what is right or wrong.

Lester and Harlem are no longer in this world. I miss the days of talking to them, milking their cows and falling off their milk stools. ;) :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:35 am

I'd tack a note in a ziplock bag on the tree that says "please don't" anonymously .

Then he knows, that someone knows. Maybe he'll stop, maybe not. Don't bother the landowner.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:14 pm

I had the EXACT same experience about six years ago. I just let it go and hunted a creek crossing about 500 yards away. Doubled down one morning and guess who showed up at the house a few days later! That's right Indiana CO. He had all sorts of questions and even read me my rights. But through the questioning I told him about the feeders before he brought them up so he believed me. I got out of that one by honesty and the skin of my teeth. He told me it didn't matter how far you hunt from bait. So my advice is to call DNR. Report it. Do the right thing. You're already thinking you should, right? Ain't worth losing your license over

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:43 pm

It might just be an old feeder that hasn't been used in years. No point in saying anything if it still isn't getting used come season. Might be for taking inventory before season too.

I have a farm in Iowa that I have permission to hunt. It's just a little patch of woods that some really nice bucks use, but I can't hunt it because another guy the land owner lets hunt there has an illegal mineral lick too close to where I need to be. I casually brought it to the land owners attention by mentioning that's why I hadn't been out there hunting. The land owner said "oh, I didn't know that" and then moved onto another subject. It's a bummer to lose a good spot to inconsiderate self centered law breakers.

The more people that get away with ignoring the law it the more people that break it and the more often people do it.

As long as they aren't putting out ridicules amounts of bait it could help you too. Assuming they don't run the mature bucks out of the area. Law breakers tend to be lazy and easily patterned by the deer. If you pattern the "hunter" then it will help you pattern the deer.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:53 pm

"Please dont" what? A feeder was found empty. Am I missing something here?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:45 pm

Frustrating to find potential illegal activity...land owner must be made aware

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”