Bed Hunting Rate of Success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: Bed Hunting Rate of Success

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:33 am

Very helpful info. I already have some looong shining trips planned for this summer to locate the public ground with the age structure I need to find so I can finally kill a nice buck.

Question, does anyone believe that high population = more old bucks? I think i can make a good assumption but would like experienced input.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:48 am

hunter_mike wrote:Very helpful info. I already have some looong shining trips planned for this summer to locate the public ground with the age structure I need to find so I can finally kill a nice buck.

Question,[glow=red]does anyone believe that high population = more old bucks?[/glow]I think i can make a good assumption but would like experienced input.

Yes assuming age structure stays constant. IMHO you need to pick areas that promote age structure not population. I know some great areas that have low-moderate population and great age structure. Its a subtle difference but easily validated by observation.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:04 am

nater wrote:Intriguing thought on the relationship between mature buck sightings and number of good buck beds in the area. I am inclined to think that as the number of good buck beds in an area increases then so does the number of good bucks, assuming that secure bedding area is the limiting factor for the buck population. If you continue with that assumption, then an area with more beds would have more bucks and thus the chance of seeing one should be higher, especially during the rut.

But Dan--you're saying that a hunter is more likely to see a big buck if he sets up in an area with a more limited number of good buck beds. Since you have way more experience than me, my assumption that more buck beds = more bucks must be wrong. Would you say that is the case?

The number of good bedding areas alone does not dictate the number of target bucks... As in the case of the area behind my house, pressure can change the number of mature bucks in a given area... If people are killing bucks before they get old enough to get smart, or they are driving with guns, or for what ever reason are killing bucks before they get age your going to have low numbers of mature bucks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:00 am

hunter_mike wrote:Question, does anyone believe that high population = more old bucks?

I strongly subscribe to this theory. Herd is in rough shape in Northern MN and I hunt an area with maybe 6-7 deer per square mile. I think I have seen 1-2 mature bucks up there in the past 5 years. Herd is down in Central MN number but much better numbers to work with and I see a lot more bucks and sign, I don't know the exact numbers but its not even close. I couldn't care less about APR, any kind of trophy management. The guys I hunt with shoot everything they see, however give me some numbers to work with and I usually do ok.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:54 am

hunter_mike wrote:Question,[glow=red]does anyone believe that high population = more old bucks?[/glow]I think i can make a good assumption but would like experienced input.

I think deer numbers in an area in most cases equals more bigger bucks. If you think about it how could it not? If you are hunting an area with 5 1.5 year old bucks or if you are hunting an area with 10 1.5 year old bucks. Which area stands a better chance of more bucks making it to 2.5 years old? Also remember where those bucks came from; does. That old saying that it is good for bucks having to hunt for does in low deer populations is pure hog wash in my opinion. When that buck is tied up with a doe wouldn't it be better to have more bucks looking for more does?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:30 am

I have seen "some" situations with large populations and small bucks... A lot of lower Michigan is a prime example where guys shoot only bucks and are allowed two, and buy tags for family members and friends to kill more bucks. You end up with a heavy population that is very doe heavy. and very few bucks making it past 1.5 years old.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 am

I've noticed during the years, that it seems the age class of bucks fluctuates every 3-4 years, where I'd have at least half dozen bucks 3.5 yrs old or older, that I'd probably shoot. I've ran minerals for years and that's what the cameras show anyway. I suppose hunter pressure has a lot to do with that. Me not moving on to greener pasture was a big waste of time!
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:16 pm

On a regional level I agree high populations equal more bucks most of the time but on a local/farm level small clusters of high populations often do not mean more adult bucks - outside of the rut adult bucks prefer to keep more to themselves.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”