Man Made Mound/Hill Bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Man Made Mound/Hill Bedding?

Unread postby DaHunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Went scouting today and found a bunch of rubs along and around the base of this man made hill. There are buildings and heavy equip 50-100 yds behind this (upwind), but I'm thinking I may have found a lightly used bed. It was at the only spot on the hill that was somewhat flat. This hill is pretty steep but I did notice faint trails on it. Would a buck bed here? Buildings/people/wind to his back and looking down into the brush/woods for predators? I may have to set up a trailcam...

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Man Made Mound/Hill Bedding?

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:43 pm

great find.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Seems to be more and more true bucks need in places we least think...We found a bed close to a public land parking lot...buck could exit when people came to park and he would always know when people were in his area

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:04 am

On one of the properties I hunt had a lot of dirt work done about 12 years ago. They the pushed up some mounds of dirt that are out in a overgrown field. The mounds are covered in weeds and brush now and it is just a perfect bedding area for a buck. All the little trees that have grown up on it are just torn up from the bucks that have bedded there the last few years.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 am

Possibly early season when the vegetation is thicker... If thats a recent bed, I would think its a night bed.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 am

I highly doubt any buck is gonna bed on that barren mound of dirt, so close to all those buildings. No doubt whatever made that sign did it at night.

A deer would stand out like a turd in punch bowl if he bedded there. I'd move on to a better spot.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 am

More likely the faint trails are from fox or coyotes. They use mounds like that to gain a better view.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am

i'd have to agree with Spysar. All night time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:07 am

One thing I would say is that based on what I've read on here is that your thinking and willingess to look at a spot like that as a possibility is certainly on the mark! Finding spots no one else would think to look at is key.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:31 am

Spysar wrote:More likely the faint trails are from fox or coyotes. They use mounds like that to gain a better view.

I hunt coyotes here all the time and that mound looks exactly like Spysar stated.

Were there any deer tracks or deer hair in the bed? Cool that you still investigated a mound like that though.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:12 pm

No hair in the bed and it wasn't for sure a deer bed, I just thought it might be because he could watch the woods. The trail on the hill did look to be from deer but it also wasnt going right to the bed. Probably a night bed or even a coyote perched up there waiting. I still might run a camera early season just to be sure. Ya never know with deer!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”