Am I being too picky about the bucks I shoot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Am I being too picky about the bucks I shoot

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 am

Or document more of it on film. That is my plan this year...more video!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:42 am

Being happy is part of the game.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:58 am

Nothing wrong with being picky about the bucks you shoot as long as you don't define your season by having your tag filled every year. Since I started holding out for nicer bucks I have eaten my tag more than I filled it. That is really tough to take the first few years but over time you learn to enjoy the whole experience more and not focus so much on the kill.

I raised my standards about 10 years ago and I believe that was a huge step to becoming a better hunter. If you settle for small bucks and easily fill your tag every season you won't grow much as a hunter. Mature bucks are like a different species of whitetail and the learning curve is much harder once you want to focus strictly on them. It can be very frustrating at times but it's all part of the journey that makes the reward that much sweeter.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24 am

i choose my sets, i choose my weapon, i choose my deer...I have among the least experience on this forum but I passed on 2 deer last season (1 was a doe fawn broadside 18 yards, 1 was a big mamma doe with 2 fawns with a little grass between us) because I want to make clean shots and I wont shoot a fawn. the buck i finally killed was a small yungbuck but meant the world to me. I would have mounted him if money were limitless. I would rather eat tags, which I did, and fill them with the deer that meet my size and ethical standards. Now that I have a couple harvests under my belt I am going to raise the bar and shoot 2.5 yr olds or better (antlers still not my objective)+ mature does. I know bigger deer are in the area so it is worth improving my sets, with more chances of tag soup, but greater reward when I do connect on a mature deer. my .02 is hold our for the best trophy for you and for your property- cameras, prints, rubs and stories from locals help reinforce whether bigger deer are on the property. to go a year or two passing smaller bucks to finally connect on that buck of a lifetime seems like a battle worth fighting, and a story that will stay with you forever!
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:25 pm

I like passing up smaller bucks or younger bucks. Makes feel good.

Idk about you but I still get pumped even if a little guy comes in. :D

Also I watch their body language very closely to learn more.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:10 pm

I set a goal each season based on the area I hunt, time I have to hunt, and what bucks I know are around. Eating a tag does not bother me as much as shooting a deer that is smaller than the goal I set.
I also look at age more than just rack score or size.

As Stanley said make sure to enjoy your hunting whatever you decide to shoot or not shoot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”