Moon days??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Moon days??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:13 am

If it were hunting season, would this week, especially the last 2 days, have been considered "Moon Days"? I have noticed the deer out feeding in daylight much more than usual the last couple days...we are also forecasted for storms tonight so not sure if that may be a driver too. A couple others I have talked to have noticed the deer out in daylight more this week also.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Re: Moon days??

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:20 am

This coming Sunday and Monday would be considered moon days

One thing I have noticed about moon positioning....when its overhead deer tend to be feeding.

I done some trials with plot watchers couple year back to check for overhead feeding. Was surprised with activity during overhead times.

The fronts we have had last couple weeks have to have an effect on their feeding due to the pressure changes

[ Post made via Android ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25 am

For me i see the most value in timing OH UF with weather fronts or just the sun side of dusk and dawn
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Where I am at I think it was overhead to falling, positioned at about 4 oclock I guess when I saw these deer. Also, do supposedly have a front moving though tonight. I definitely need to start writing this down!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:21 pm

gjs4 wrote:For me i see the most value in timing OH UF with weather fronts or just the sun side of dusk and dawn

X2 When the OH/UF times match up with sunrise, sunset times, then coupled with fronts, activity can increase for sure. I think the fronts can and often times play a stronger part in movement than the moon's positioning alone.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:23 pm

i do not pay much attention to the moon but it comes up enough that it makes sense for me to begin learning it...how I see it is simple- if I have the time to hunt I will be in the woods regardless of the moon
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 am

mheichelbech wrote:Where I am at I think it was overhead to falling, positioned at about 4 oclock I guess when I saw these deer. Also, do supposedly have a front moving though tonight. I definitely need to start writing this down!

You mean one oclock or two oclock position? four oclock would be just below the horizon I think (3 oclock I think of as moon set, 9 is moon rise)

I keep track of moon position. Thursday the moon was overhead at 4AM, underfoot at 4:30. Friday the moon was overhead at 5AM, Underfoot at 5:15 or so. There might have been some additional movement as a result of the moon underfoot in the early evening but - I have seen a ton of deer out feeding too and I think it is pretty common in early spring for them to do that regardless of moon. Does are really starting to need a lot of food as a result of their developing fawns, and green up hasn't come yet in the upper midwest so they are really having to scrounge for food.

Every spring I see piles of deer out often all day in early spring. I was out shed hunting Thursday afternoon and watched 8 does feed in a alfalfa field next to me for over an hour, early afternoon. As soon as green up hits they will be a lot less visible because they can fill their bellies a lot more quickly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”