Tree prep for aero hunter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wylee

Tree prep for aero hunter

Unread postby Wylee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 am

Seeing what's the skinny with tree prep for using aero hunter saddle. Any help would be great. Btw awesome info on this site! Thanks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

redsquirrel

Re: Tree prep for aero hunter

Unread postby redsquirrel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:22 am

If you can use screw in steps I use the ameristep steps. I get up to my hunting height and depending on which side of the tree I want to hang the most I set up 5-6 steps around the tree that I will stand on. I screw in one small accessory hook to hold my bow, another step to hold my bag, and a final step up above eye level to keep my hanging strap (I use a tree saddle) from sliding down. I have 30-40 tree's setup like this that i can rotate to throughout the season.

To be mobile I will use 5 lone wolf sticks with 5 cranford screw in ez steps for my platform, or the old strap on plastic ameristeps on 1 strap if I can't screw in. I also have a strap on accessory hook.
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Thanks for reply. I'm new to sling style but have been out in the aero hunter setting spots and shooting out of it. Love it. It allows me create a lot different shots and angles while being completely safe and stealthy. Any more tips would me much appreciated. Sounds like you've been in the saddle game for a bit.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:19 am

The eberhart books/videos are worth reading/watching for sling tips too. You tube is loaded with videos too.
redsquirrel

Unread postby redsquirrel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:30 pm

Wylee wrote:Thanks for reply. I'm new to sling style but have been out in the aero hunter setting spots and shooting out of it. Love it. It allows me create a lot different shots and angles while being completely safe and stealthy. Any more tips would me much appreciated. Sounds like you've been in the saddle game for a bit.

If you run into any problems or have any questions feel free to reach out to me. I'm glad to hear that you like it! :D It definitely has a learning curve and sometimes people give up on it too soon.
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:39 pm

Thanks for tips. Own eberharts books and watched most all you tube vids on subject. Like anything getting hands dirty has no equal. Always open to learning though.

yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:59 pm

i just threaded on the saddles- had never heard of them prior but they are an interesting style of hunting that has some real merit and perks!...part of me thinks I would sleep the day away ha
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:50 am

All good to take nap. Safest I've ever felt.

186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 am

Just a quick question for those of you that use a tree saddle system. Why not just get climbing spikes and go up the tree like the tree trimming guy's do? It may make a little noise but I would think it would be not to bad. Maybe not for those close encounter hunts when the deer is 75 yards away. I would think it would work best for guys that do alot of drives. You could get up a tree quick.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:01 am

Negative on the spikes on Public land you tear the living you know what out of the tree and they are noisy. Especially on pines spruces and firs. plus they wiegh as much as 4 sticks and there is no way you could get in position for half the shots your capable of pulling off by having a set platform to manuever on once you got to you desired hunting height . Its an option but not a good or responsible one to explore.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:34 am

I just priced climbing spikes for a guy who called and asked if I knew of any for sale. Roughly $250.

There's trees where spike marks aren't very visible - older big oak trees,maybe big sugar maples,etc...But the vast majority of trees look like heck once they've been spiked. Those wounds are a pathway for tree diseases.

Nothing else looks like spike wounds.

They are noisy. Clink!

Also,they're not completely idiot-proof: I have a really cool-looking scar on my left calf from driving a spike - HARD - into my flesh instead of the tree. It was a 2 1/2" spike and it went almost all the way in...I finished the job before looking at it - it looked like hamburger poking out from the hole.
redsquirrel

Unread postby redsquirrel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:17 pm

seeds wrote:Also,they're not completely idiot-proof: I have a really cool-looking scar on my left calf from driving a spike - HARD - into my flesh instead of the tree. It was a 2 1/2" spike and it went almost all the way in...I finished the job before looking at it - it looked like hamburger poking out from the hole.

And that's why I'll stick to screw in steps and sticks... :shock:
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:37 pm

I personally cannot imagine putting 6 tree spikes in a tree each hunt (that is a lot of work while strapped to the side of a tree, and also not legal on public) I understand why people pre drill or leave the steps...I would do the same if I took this route
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
redsquirrel

Unread postby redsquirrel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 pm

yungbuck wrote:I personally cannot imagine putting 6 tree spikes in a tree each hunt (that is a lot of work while strapped to the side of a tree, and also not legal on public) I understand why people pre drill or leave the steps...I would do the same if I took this route

If you use steps with good sharp tips (I use the cranford ez screw in step) putting 6 in for a platform is nothing. That being said I don't use those for my preset spots and much prefer to have those trees setup well beforehand.

Where I hunt I am allowed to use screw in steps on all state public land, just not the federal land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”