Is your most memorable buck your biggest buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Is your most memorable buck your biggest buck?

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:20 pm

No, not the biggest...the most memorable buck for me was the one that I shot and didn't know anything hit him. It was a tough 30 yards shot, grass and brush covered the bottom 2/3 of his chest but I knew the arc of the arrow would go over top that so I shot, arrow disappeared behind the brush and I heard a good thump but he just kept walking, no reaction. He kept walking and tipped over dead 15 yards later mid-stride when he ran out of blood. That is the most memorable even though others have been far bigger.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Nope it was a 120 inch 8 killed in the most pressured public land in my region. Killed him at high noon.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:43 pm

broken record
i have only shot at 2 deer (both were harvested) in my extensive 3 year career :P I will never forget nov 5 2013. My first deer, first buck, first bow kill- watched him get out of bed and slowly, I replay my emotions for that shot and tracking job. I have not scored the 6 pt buck but I am sure each time I pass his mount in my garage I will rekindle that wonderful day that I finally considered myself a deer hunter.
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:49 pm

The buck that means the most to me is one I killed back in 1980. Close to the last day of the season. Worked hard all season and the hard work payed off.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:46 am

Very similar to Palmetto's , not my biggest or first, saw a real nice 10 pointer chasing a doe on my way to a stand. I was in CRP and I hit the dirt, I was periodically looking up to see where they were and trying to figure out what to do. The doe circled out into the CRP and it became apparent she was going to come right down the trail I was kneeling on. I put my bow across my chest and leaned as far forward as I could while on both knees. The doe came about 5 ft from me and then boogered off the trail. I drew my bow think the next deer was the big boy. I was in my peep and as soon as I saw brown I found the crease between the sternum and the shoulder and let it fly from maybe 3 yards. I hit exactly where I had aimed. I popped up to watch a palmated 50" 8 point jump the fence. I dropped my bow and my jaw in disbelief. I watched the buck drop about 50 yards away. I turned to pout and swear and guess who watched the whole thing from 10 yards away. The 10 pointer just looked at me for what seemed like a minute. All I could do was smile. The buck I got was small but did have a cool rack. I also remember the mile drag.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:33 am

I remember the misses more than the hits.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:48 am

gjs4 wrote:I remember the misses more than the hits.

You had to bring it up! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
gjs4 wrote:I remember the misses more than the hits.

You had to bring it up! ;)

I could not agree more...missed a gimme doe shot 10 yards this year thought the shot felt good and the doe ran 50 yards and then watched me...I looked down and saw a branch swaying slightly...the branch seemed invisible before the shot but it was clear i missed her and smoked that little distraction! I have not missed a big buck, but I cannot imagine the emotion that comes with that, when I got worked up over a nice doe (which is a trophy to me)
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Mine is still my first deer a button buck with my old Browning Shadow bow. Climbed a Cherry tree on what I now know was a transition line in a wood lot and arrowed him at 12 yards. I was only about 8 feet off the ground.

I have shot many good bucks since that day but that first kill hooked me for life.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:33 am

Yungbuck I thought you said previously only shot at two deer and both were harvested hahahaha...I like to think of my misses as non attempts too. Just giving you a little good ole ribbin bud keep up the good work.

trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:52 am

My first bow kill.
I hunted on and off 6 yrs with a bow.
I had shots and missed smaller bucks and does.
Finally, hunting a small woods in ag land I connected.
It was during the rut at daybreak, the buck came through nose to ground.
He was too far out, so I mouth grunted.
The buck turned and came right past the tree at 5 yards.
I'll never forget watching him go down!

MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 am

Well I have a few most memorable bucks. The first one is in my avatar as he is the biggest public land buck I've taken. I called him in it was in mid September like a week into the bow season he's 112 inch 10ptr. The second most memorable buck and no I didn't kill him. This was my first encounter with a truly giant whitetail buck. This was on the same piece of public land that I shot my 10pt. I was sitting in my stand and I heard what was a saw cutting some brush. I was like what the was that and than I saw a couple of does come through and opening in the thick brush and than a few minutes later a huge buck came through the opening and was to far to shoot, but he was a brute I still remember that to this day. To bad he got shot my a gun hunter and I think he was 6x5. The third encounter was a huge wide 10 pt. I was in my LW Assault and hunting a point that jutted out in swamp and cain grass. I was watching a bunch of bucks all fall and decided to make my move my stand to this point and go in for the kill. Well that first night in the knew tree I was getting discouraged as I wasn't seeing the bucks that I knew were using this spot. Than as primetime was coming and that I heard some sloushing back in the swamp and than I could make out a glimpse of a deer coming down the trail and the buck came out and paused for like 10 minutes pawing the ground with his front hoof and than he came out and offered a shot and I thought was 25 yards and I put my pin on him and released the arrow and I missed by inch as the arrow flew underneath his belly and he didn't know what happened, but knew this wasn't the spot to be and took off. I think you remember the misses more than the once you put your tags on. Also all these hunts took place on public.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Looks like I'm odd man out...........my most memorable buck was my biggest :mrgreen: . I had scouted like a madman in the off season, had kind of crummy luck early in the season, had the death march to get to the stand, no deer seen the first few hours, then all of a sudden he was there and then he was dead. The 5 hour drag out is burned into my memory too :lol:

I kinda agree but my first was still the most memorable and my biggest buck was by far my most satisfying. [glow=red]After almost 20 years of trying to kill a big one the sense of accomplishment was almost overwhelming. It took me awhile to gather myself after finding him and was a very emotional experience. Nothing like getting that monkey off your back.[/glow]

Absolutely, every hunter will have one point in his life that everything will come together. With the flood of emotion with that moment, we are humbled, brought to our knees and to tears, appreciative of the gift bestowed upon us. At that moment, all the work, strife and pain come into focus, a vindication for what we do, and the price that has been paid, nothing left to be gained or nothing left to prove. We have coined a phrase for that moment, we call it "joining the big boys club"
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Whitetailassasin...I had blocked the miss from my memory ha ha

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”