Hunting hills

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Philski

Hunting hills

Unread postby Philski » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:30 pm

I need more details on the wind tunnel. I hunt a ridge that plateaus at 1000 ft. The cropfield below is at 830 ft. Should I drop to 900 ft topo line and look for beds? I'm tryin to get a handle on this before I go scout next week. Any tips would be appreciated.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Crazinamatese

Re: Hunting hills

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Can you post a topo map of the area?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:22 pm

In Dan's hill country video he mentions 1/3 of the way from the top. In your situation that is 942ft. I guess if it was me, I would start there.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:08 am

What you are looking for are good bedding spots and travel corridors about 1/3 from the top on the leeward side of a ridge or hill BUT very situation is different - you can only armchair scout so much ;)
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 am

Most of the bedding I have found would be on this 1/3 elevation but not always. Yesterday I was out scouting and found a very nice buck bed about half way down. Boots on the ground is the only way to truly know. Good luck

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:55 am

Usually at a point where the gradual slope suddenly drops sharper. Some call this spot the "Military crest"
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:00 am

I'm a mi. flatlander who recently got ground in Coshocton cty. Ohio. Lots more hills/ topography to to deal with than I'm used to. I'm excited as the caliber of bucks is better here than southern mi. I got Dan's hill country video. Any other tips are welcome. Thanks for your help

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:38 am

Philski wrote:I'm a mi. flatlander who recently got ground in Coshocton cty. Ohio. Lots more hills/ topography to to deal with than I'm used to. I'm excited as the caliber of bucks is better here than southern mi. I got Dan's hill country video. Any other tips are welcome. Thanks for your help

Hunting the hills can be pretty tricky but if you watch and study the hill country dvd it's very educational. It will teach you a lot about how the bucks use the wind/thermals in the hills which is the most is the most important thing to learn in the hills IMHO

[ Post made via Android ] Image
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:47 am

My hunting buddy and I saw first hand exactly what Dan talks about in the hill country dvd.

Scouting yesterday we were standing at the bottom of a ridge when my buddy found some milk weed, he let go of a piece and it magically floated up the ridge...thermal effect...first time I have seen it in person.

Amazing.

We also let a piece go while standing in a creek bottom, and the wind basically took the milk weed through it just like a tunnel.

it looked like bumper bowling, no matter which side of the creek it floated to, it would bounce right off and continue heading down the creek.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”