Do YOU follow the law?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do YOU follow the law?

I do what I want and just try not to get caught
No votes
I do what I think is right regardless of the law
4%
If I don't think it's hurting anything I do it despite the law
14%
I try my best to follow the law but sometimes come up short
49%
I always follow the law
10%
I think I follow the law but admit I go on here say on what the rules are
2%
I check the rule book every year so I know I'm following the law
21%
I follow the law but will make an exception for a kid
No votes

Total votes: 81
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Do YOU follow the law?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 am

Another post just got me thinking about how sometimes I see people suggest or at least elude to illegal hunting tactics on here. I think many people don't realize what they are suggesting is illegal and therefore don't realize that they are poaching when they kill or catch fish and game when in the process of breaking the law. Sometimes they do know and don't care because they determine in their minds that it's a dumb law or they just don't care. This has me curious what other Beast members think and do so I thought I would add this poll.

For me, I simply don't want any of my fish or game to be poached. If I'm not able to do it without cheating to get an unfair advantage over other legal hunter's or fisherman, no matter how small it may seem, then I feel I need to either step up my game, change my goals or find something else to do whether I like it or not. I just try to be a law abiding citizen and follow the laws regardless of whether I agree with them or understand them. For me to cheat is for me to take advantage of someone else that has chosen to follow the rules.

Having said that, I want to be clear that I am no saint and don't expect anyone else to be. I'm just curious how the rest of you view things.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Do YOU follow the law?

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:52 am

I try my best to follow the law but sometimes come up short.

I use to pride myself on following the law and doing what is right. I tried my best to bring my boys up that way also. That being said, 2 years ago I was duck hunting at Ballard county WMA and got checked. I had 4 shells to many in the blind with me. Cost me $198 for that one. Broke my heart. I didn't know there was a limit on shells in the blind. Ballard is the only place around that does that.

Like Deer slayer said, I ain't no saint. But if I do something illegal, it isn't intentional. No point in it really. And I've probably commited a few more errors in the past that I didn't realize.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 am

I try hard to follow the laws, but have broke a few... Anybody who clips a single branch on state land is a violator in Wisconsin. Think about that for a minute... If you think "that rule is dumb" and do it anyway, when you kill your buck because of the advantage you have over someone who couldn't shoot cause there was a limb in the way, you actually "poached" that deer... If you ever shoot a monster buck, don't think some one won't come knocking asking to see exactly where you shot it... And if the warden finds a cut branch, your loosing that buck.

I got stopped for my back tag not being on my outer most garment cause it was in the middle of my treestand... I got a warning.

I shot a big buck opening week of bow a couple seasons back and decided that since I had to drive the truck back to the other end of the farm and spook the deer to retrieve my kill, I might as well shine my way back... Got the buck, and shined all the way home too... The next day retrieving some stuff out of my back seat I realized my rifle was sitting back there, had I been stopped I am sure no one would of believed me that it was an accident...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 am

I try my best to follow the law but sometimes come up short

My biggest violations are probably breaking live tree branches on public land and also I have found myself on the wrong side of a property line a time or two which were accidents but nonetheless a violation and my ignorance of where the exact property line was.

Southern Man wrote: if I do something illegal, it isn't intentional

Yep. It doesn't pay. And when I shoot that buck I want to be able to say without a doubt I got him fair and square.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 am

I try, but sometimes come up short. Back tag issues, causing damage to trees by cam locking, etc., etc. There are too many easy ways to break the law.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:26 am

I am a rebel...... :P
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 am

Zap wrote:I am a rebel...... :P

I knew it :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 am

I try pretty darn hard, tough to keep up with all the regs and can be confusing.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:45 am

When it comes to hunting I take pride in doing things according to the rules. Many are ridiculous but the law is the law until it's changed. I don't even carry a saw anymore so I am never tempted to do any trimming which I have been guilty of sometimes in the past. This is probably a good thing because now I leave very little trace of where I have been hunting. It has cost me a few deer because of not having a shooting lane but that is just another challenge that comes with hunting on public land. Been more than a few big bucks that I had in front of me a few minutes after closing too but I refused to shoot even though I could easily see my pins.

I always say integrity is what you do when nobody is looking.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 am

I try my hardest but that pamphlet they hand out doesn't have all the rules in it. As far as trimming goes I know this is 7 years old article by WI DNR but posted it below. But I feel too many things are left to warden discretion. I hate that. Im careful about everything, If you get one ticket for even something some might consider dumb everything you've ever done will come into question. So I follow the rules as best as I can.

Weekly News article published: September 11, 2007 by the Central Office

To stay legal, bow hunters also need to remember the rules.

"While bow hunters can use tree stands on public lands, tree stands must be removed from the property at the end of hunting each day," Lawhern says. "Also remember that screw-in tree steps are not legal to use on state-owned public lands because they cause damage when screwed into trees."

In addition, trimming branches to create shooting lanes must be kept to a minimum on public lands. Dead branches can be removed and small amounts of pruning can be done.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:35 am

I'm a rebel without a cause!!! I break the law everytime I hunt a particular WMA with a treestand. The law requires a full body harness, but I'm not risking my life to abide by this law I'll continue to use my rock climbing harness. It does give me an unfair advantage as I can fall yet get back in my stand & continue to hunt. I can also shoot 360 with it on. Sorry guys I'm a cheater!!!

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:02 pm

no comment

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:04 pm

I try to follow the law as best I can, the back tag one I break because there is no way not to break it if you carry your tree-stand on your back in Wisconsin. I have also broke branches and I used a screw in bow holder a few times because I couldn't find one that didn't screw in until recently. I am not out cutting shooting lanes on public, shooting after hours, shooting deer I am not allowed to etc, but I think no matter how hard we try we are going to break some of the minor laws.
I would hope Wardens realize the difference between the frivolous laws but Lance is right, if we want to be technical it is poaching.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Funny I have wondered the same thing. Especially about cutting shooting lanes. I don't do it on public here, my friend was asked by a CO if he had clippers or a saw. I have been checked twice by a CO to see if my gear was legal, lisence, etc.... Both times I was good to go. I can see how someone has the best of intentions and still make mistakes though. I know I have inadvertently broken some. I was hunting "over the line". When a neighbor claimed the posted signs were not correct, but we talked it out and no harm was done.

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:15 pm

I think most guys try to follow the law. But there are guys who just think they can do whatever. My friends neighbor got busted big time for shooting deer with a ATV at night and drunk. It was a sting operation and they got him on semi public Thanksgiving day. Makes me sick to see those guys on wild justice just killing an leaving them to rot on their own land.

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”