Do YOU follow the law?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do YOU follow the law?

I do what I want and just try not to get caught
No votes
I do what I think is right regardless of the law
4%
If I don't think it's hurting anything I do it despite the law
14%
I try my best to follow the law but sometimes come up short
49%
I always follow the law
10%
I think I follow the law but admit I go on here say on what the rules are
2%
I check the rule book every year so I know I'm following the law
21%
I follow the law but will make an exception for a kid
No votes

Total votes: 81
mkuf79
Facebook: matthew.kufahl.5

Re: Do YOU follow the law?

Unread postby mkuf79 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 am

Most of the places I hunt on public land, it's not possible to use a climber without cutting a few branches. I'm not afraid to bend over a few trees to open up a shooting lane either. If I were to get a ticket for that, it would be worth it. That tree is ready to hunt for a years to come and a big buck is definitely worth it. Leaving my stand at the base of the tree the evening before and coming back early in the morning is another. If it cuts down on sweat and noise, its worth it.

yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:29 am

Yes...just how I am

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:59 am

I do my best but I am no angel. My worst persistent offense is intentionally leaving my hunting license in the truck when I am hunting my own farm or my in-laws' land. The truck is normally several hundred yards away from where I will be sitting.

So to put it in perspective, I dont hunt without a license but sometimes I hunt without it being in my person. I would never do this while on public land though, where the possibility of getting stopped is much greater.
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:03 am

AntlerAddiction wrote:I do my best but I am no angel. My worst persistent offense is intentionally leaving my hunting license in the truck when I am hunting my own farm or my in-laws' land. The truck is normally several hundred yards away from where I will be sitting.

So to put it in perspective, I dont hunt without a license but sometimes I hunt without it being in my person. I would never do this while on public land though, where the possibility of getting stopped is much greater.

Why do you choose to not bring it? Is it cumbersome or just do not want to misplace it? In Minnesota it is a very small piece of paper that you can just slip in a pocket.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:35 am

It's interesting to see the honesty of people on this subject. I half expected most people to claim they are better about following the law than they really are.

I think almost everyone has broken the law at some point even if it was without realizing it.

I thought for sure I would see people vote for that last one. I hear of that around here fairly often which is a bummer. Teaching a kid to break the law right from the start is a bad idea IMO.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:16 pm

I think you would be spot on if it was any other forum, beast members already work so hard and are so dedicated to the sport that they don't want to cheat an accomplishment by breaking the law. A great group of folks we have here!
DEERSLAYER wrote:It's interesting to see the honesty of people on this subject. I half expected most people to claim they are better about following the law than they really are.

I think almost everyone has broken the law at some point even if it was without realizing it.

I thought for sure I would see people vote for that last one. I hear of that around here fairly often which is a bummer. Teaching a kid to break the law right from the start is a bad idea IMO.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:13 am

dans wrote:
AntlerAddiction wrote:I do my best but I am no angel. My worst persistent offense is intentionally leaving my hunting license in the truck when I am hunting my own farm or my in-laws' land. The truck is normally several hundred yards away from where I will be sitting.

Why do you choose to not bring it? Is it cumbersome or just do not want to misplace it? In Minnesota it is a very small piece of paper that you can just slip in a pocket.

It is def. not cumbersome. Here in Kentucky we don't even really have "tags" for deer. We must fill out a harvest log before moving the animal on the back on the paper and then telecheck it within 24 or 48 hours. I think it is just a matter of misplacing it. I really need to improve on this before I end up with a ticket.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:18 pm

dans wrote:

I'm guilty as charged, usually leave my wallet in the vehicle while hunting, when the regs say you must have it on your person.

I'd rather not risk losing my wallet or having it soaked if I get caught in the rain.

Most times, if you can prove that you bought a license, the ticket isn't written or at court the charge is dismissed.

What are the odds of getting checked for such a violation hunting private land in Iowa during bow season? Extremely LOW.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:32 pm

i have only had my license checked one time, during squirrel season- the officer tracked me in the show- glad he was checking hunters but all for a squirrel tag :P
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:53 pm

I break a lot of what I feel are insignificant laws... For the most part I follow laws but I probably break one nearly every trip lol.... I trim branches, use screw ins quite often, things of that nature. I Also don't pay much attention to going in a little early or coming out late....
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”