how large of a radius is burned in a hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

how large of a radius is burned in a hunt

Unread postby briar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:43 am

Its been said 100X that your best sit is your first sit. So after that first sit what distance do you need to travel to make the next sit a new sit and therefore keep your odds up?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: how large of a radius is burned in a hunt

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:45 am

Depends how much area you burned on the walk in. If you left scent, its burned.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:55 am

You can use water, fields, ditches for access and get by with multiple hunts.... so it depends

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:08 am

I don't want to bring it up again, but this is where scent control comes into play. If you pick your route, come in dry, don't touch vegetation, and don't jump your target, your not burning much of anything. You can "burn" a buck bed a lot quicker than a funnel.

I mentioned come in "dry" . Certain conditions hold less scent. Dry and cold = less scent left . Wet and warm = more scent left.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 am

Far enough for the buck to feel safe. Could be 40yards, could be 400yards. Depends on the buck, the terrain and the amount of pressure.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:08 am

Good topic ...

Dan mentioned he did grid hunting to kill a particular buck he knew was on a farm, because he never spotted during shooting hours. He stated he grid off 10 acres at a time to hunt that particular buck. Dan could you elaborate on your approach to hunting that buck as not to burn out the grid. How often you entered the property? ect...
go DEEP or go HOME
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am

A big part of burning an area is not entirely where you have been but where you haven't been. If the buck you are after is 100 yards up wind during your hunt, and he goes the opposite direction that day you may be ok. So the next day the buck circles the bedding area and you haven't been where is you still have a chance.

This is why I like a low impact style, you get more hunts out of an area. I don't think there is any certain distance, but more circumstance that dictates how bad you have burned an area. If you are hunting a buck bed and the buck is another bed 1/4 mile away you stand a good chance at getting another chance. I try and hunt like there is a tomorrow and set up accordingly.

I think you develop a feel on when to fold em. If you hunt a buck in a bed and bust him out and he knows you were/are there your chances of burning the area go up considerably. My goal is to try and remain undetected, this leads to success in my opinion.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 am

After I've burned a known area I would say the minimum is a 75 yard buffer.
That's based off of the terrain I hunt which is somewhat hillllly...
Sometimes more, but basically just out of site and "heavier" scent
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:14 am

It also depends on other hunters and how much pressure is being put on the surrounding area.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 am

There is no solid answer to the question... Each buck has a different tolerance level, and it really depends "where" you get your scent. If its within the bucks safe zone where he spends the majority of his daylight movement, they usually don't tolerate it.
On average I would say at least a couple hundred yard movement.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:34 am

lynchpin wrote:Good topic ...

Dan mentioned he did grid hunting to kill a particular buck he knew was on a farm, because he never spotted during shooting hours. He stated he grid off 10 acres at a time to hunt that particular buck. Dan could you elaborate on your approach to hunting that buck as not to burn out the grid. How often you entered the property? ect...

Really, to be a great hunter I think you need to be a bit paranoid about spooking bucks. But, I certainly don't let that paranoia get in the way of being aggressive or confidant. What that paranoia does though, is it keeps me thinking about what is going to bother that buck the most, if he is in a certain section and I am hunting it fresh, can I come in from an area already hunted? If not, can I hunt that area 1st without damaging my second hunt? Can I watch from a distance? Whats the lowest impact way to access the area close to the buck ?
I think great hunters are always plotting and strategizing, even when at work or at dinner with the wife... Back in my best days I can remember waking up in the middle of the night with a dream in which I came up with a plan for a certain buck and I would write it down before going back to bed so I wouldn't forget...

Point is, some things I, or others can't tell you what to do... Your situation is unique in some ways and once you get close, only you can finish the job or seal the deal... Your mind is your greatest tool.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:55 am

dan wrote:
lynchpin wrote:Good topic ...

Really, to be a great hunter I think you need to be a bit paranoid about spooking bucks. But, I certainly don't let that paranoia get in the way of being aggressive or confidant. What that paranoia does though, is it keeps me thinking about what is going to bother that buck the most, if he is in a certain section and I am hunting it fresh, can I come in from an area already hunted? If not, can I hunt that area 1st without damaging my second hunt? Can I watch from a distance? Whats the lowest impact way to access the area close to the buck ?
I think great hunters are always plotting and strategizing, even when at work or at dinner with the wife... Back in my best days I can remember waking up in the middle of the night with a dream in which I came up with a plan for a certain buck and I would write it down before going back to bed so I wouldn't forget...

Point is, some things I, or others can't tell you what to do... Your situation is unique in some ways and once you get close, only you can finish the job or seal the deal... Your mind is your greatest tool.

Great Dan... I don't at this time grid out my property, I have mental notes, but I believe it would be good to visualize my hunting spots by grid ( regardless if searching for a specific buck)... and plot locations of visualized bucks when on the stand or glassing ... but out of reach. I too believe the mind is our greatest tool. It is important to bring the MIND with us at all times... like you mentioned in a tone of posts... if your truly not into the hunt.. don't go! Too many times I go to increase my odds of killing a deer by the number of times I enter the fray... not appropriate.
go DEEP or go HOME

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”