Ground Hunting/Scouting with Gun on Back and No Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Ground Hunting/Scouting with Gun on Back and No Stand

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:14 am

dan wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:Rather than slip hunting, what about stoppping and setting on the ground once you find the spot?

Much of the swamp i hunt is a flooded bog and scouting with a stand on back is not feasible so i often have to go back on a seperate trip with a stand. Rather than make that 2nd trip, it may be better just to sit on the ground in many cases?

You should see the crap I go thru with my stand... Its such a huge advantage to be in a tree when gun hunting that I only leave it behind if I plan to keep moving. If I plan to eventually stop and wait for a buck the stand is with me, don't matter if its a 1/4 mile or 3 miles of nasty swanp, stand comes with... My only comprimise is sometimes I take the hand climber cause its lighter.
I usually even wear the alpha and 5 sticks when we are are out doing public land drives all day. Huge advatage in shooting distance, wind/scent, etc.

I don't hunt much swamp land, but completely agree being elevated is a huge advantage in hunting there - or anywhere that is super thick at ground level. In average hill country however, I find being in a tree isn't that much of an advantage when I am gun hunting, in fact I would always rather be on the ground if the understory is open enough. Often best visibility is at ground level.

I like being able to adjust location immediately and am not worried too much about being seen since I try to keep my shots much longer than I would with a bow. My ideal range for gun hunting would be about 100 yards (I know in a swamp you need to get up to even hope to shoot that far), with a bow its probably 20.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 am

JoeRE wrote:
dan wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:Rather than slip hunting, what about stoppping and setting on the ground once you find the spot?

Much of the swamp i hunt is a flooded bog and scouting with a stand on back is not feasible so i often have to go back on a seperate trip with a stand. Rather than make that 2nd trip, it may be better just to sit on the ground in many cases?

You should see the crap I go thru with my stand... Its such a huge advantage to be in a tree when gun hunting that I only leave it behind if I plan to keep moving. If I plan to eventually stop and wait for a buck the stand is with me, don't matter if its a 1/4 mile or 3 miles of nasty swanp, stand comes with... My only comprimise is sometimes I take the hand climber cause its lighter.
I usually even wear the alpha and 5 sticks when we are are out doing public land drives all day. Huge advatage in shooting distance, wind/scent, etc.

I don't hunt much swamp land, but completely agree being elevated is a huge advantage in hunting there - or anywhere that is super thick at ground level. In average hill country however, I find being in a tree isn't that much of an advantage when I am gun hunting, in fact I would always rather be on the ground if the understory is open enough. Often best visibility is at ground level.

I like being able to adjust location immediately and am not worried too much about being seen since I try to keep my shots much longer than I would with a bow. My ideal range for gun hunting would be about 100 yards (I know in a swamp you need to get up to even hope to shoot that far), with a bow its probably 20.

I agree. Hunting our hill country here is usually wide open during gun season and most of it has the best visibility on the ground. I rarely use a stand hunting there with a gun. Even hunting beds, shots can be at longer ranges with virtually no movement, plus the option of moving locations if needed wit little effort.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:08 am

When gun season roles around, if I have killed my buck for the year (only 1 allowed here in Indiana) there is no way I'm sitting in a stand. I switch from hunting mode to harvest mode. It took me about 12 hunts to get my first deer last season (with a bow), it took about 20 minutes to get my next two with a gun. The last deer I shot in 2013 was 7 minutes from truck to truck. Knowing your properties or being able to read fresh sign can make short work of ground hunting with a gun.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:38 am

I killed 2 bucks this year from ground, both times I was 'scouting' with a gun. I have killed half dozen or so in last 5-6 years from ground. A couple were fully mature. The flexibility of ground hunting gives you a new level of freedom. I do love stand hunting but I feel that it can become a ball and chain if u let it.

Start hunting from the ground more you will learn your prey at a much more intimate level because you must match his movement patterns, slow, stay out of sight, constantly monitoring the wind. It will help you realize how the bucks utilize terrain and because you don't want to bump into other hunters you will learn which areas to avoid and when to avoid them. In essence you are learning not just to think like a buck, but to act like one and this paradigm shift is monumental.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:55 am

PalmettoKid wrote: I do love stand hunting but I feel that it can become a ball and chain if u let it.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Very, very true. Tree stands are just a tool, like all other tools they have a time and place.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”