Rut sign

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Rut sign

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:00 am

What percentage of rubs & scrapes do you think are activitly visited during daylight?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

OH nontypical
500 Club

Re: Rut sign

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 am

Not much unless close to bedding. IMO

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:37 am

From what I have seen hardly any, noe if you find the huge primary scrapes a lot during the day, I have always done super well over the car hood sized scrapes around Halloween.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:08 am

Yea I agree - I think about 90% of rubs and scrapes are probably made at night. My trail cameras on scrapes support that.

The only time I have consistently gotten daylight pics on primary scrapes are when for one reason or another I have hung a cam on a primary scrape close to a buck bedding area. Those can be hunt-worthy.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

I would say about 5%... Of coarse thats a guess. But it sure ain't much. I think older bucks are paranoid during daylight so the number for them is probably more skewed.

Like Joe said, if the sign is associated with a bedding area its good chance its daylight activity. But if its a long way from bedding not much chance at all. Daylight activity on scrapes and rubs does pick up during the rut though when bucks are cruising in daylight, but even then, most of the sign seems to be laid down at night.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 pm

my greatest mistake this year was burning sets by hunting was I thought was "hot" sign aka scrapes and rubs. soon realized after diving into this forum I had wasted my time. my experiences tell me that I am not hunting rubs and scrapes unless they are in areas bucks will be scent checking does...or they are primary and very close to the bedroom
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
GloryDaysDesign
Facebook: twitter: @leestrohe

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:14 pm

My target buck walked through the primary scrape (I wasted all my time on) last year, twice. Both times not hitting the scrape and just following a doe. Unfortunately this was all on my camera and not while on stand. Will also never put my camera where I hunt again.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:59 am

yungbuck wrote:my greatest mistake this year was burning sets by hunting was I thought was "hot" sign aka scrapes and rubs. soon realized after diving into this forum I had wasted my time. my experiences tell me that I am not hunting rubs and scrapes unless they are in areas bucks will be scent checking does...or they are primary and very close to the bedroom

Very good point.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:23 am

I would say >5%, On one property I hunt, there is a primary scrape that is the size of a car hood and is about 10" deeper than the surrounding ground. It is absolutely the best place I have to get pictures of mature bucks at 3:00 a.m., worthless to me. I'll not the height and size of a rub and check for tracks in a scrape but other than that I don't pay attention or hunt over such sign.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 am

Probably less than 2 percent in the Farmland I hunt. I only pay attention to the stuff near buck beds and travel corridors that go through doe bedding areas. The rest of it I don't get as excited about.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:11 am

They are visited a decent amount in the few days right before the first does come into heat. This is a short period of time when the bucks are worked up and aggrevated and does aren't ready to breed yet. When breeding starts, scrapes are visited less.

And if you are going by what pics your camera takes, that's not very reliable. I've seen lots of bucks get through an area and a pic never gets taken.

And it depends where the scrapes are. Field edges are almost all totally nocturnal.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:44 pm

I believe in the scrapes near bedding areas as being an exception. This is a scrape i set up a cam on which was near a bedding area. However for every daytime pic there were probably 10 night time pics. And the biggest buck never showed his face in daylight or anywhere near it.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”