How Many Years, And How Old Were You?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mikew36

Re: How Many Years, And How Old Were You?

Unread postby mikew36 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 am

I was a late bloomer, didn't start until I was 28, and I only bow hunt, so no gun references here. Shot my first buck when I was 30, a 7 pointer basket rack with a nice body. First "nice" buck by my standards was this past fall, 8 pointer about 225lbs. Not by any means a trophy, but my best to date.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 am

I shot my first buck at ten my first year of hunting during gun season I was sitting in tree eating candy from Halloween looked down and had a spike under my tree I we had a stair down then he took off running. I put one up the tail and dropped him! in his tracks I then proceded to shoot the deer 8 more times reloading in between lol my dad always told me make Shure he's dead so I did just that! I didn't know they kicked around on ground after they drop so I shot till he stopped moving! I will never forget the look on my dads face after I ran a quarter mile down the ridge to tell him what happened. he could not figure out what ww3 was about over buy my stand lol
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 am

I started hunting at the age of 7 or 8. The first years hunting was on the best property I've ever had the good fortune to hunt. 1000 acres, plentiful game and only hunted by me and my dad and brother.

First year hunting I killed 2 doe and a spike with a open sight 30/30. Shot my first big buck actually 2 within minutes of each other the day after thanksgiving of year 3.

Started bow hunting in my early twenties, took 2 years to kill a doe. Year 4 or 5 I started giving myself a chance or 2 at the older age class bucks. Around year 10 of bowhunting I believed enough in myself and abilities to believe if I battled through and didn't get caught up in the highs and lows I will get a crack every season.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 am

Age 12 in the year 2000. Got two bucks that year a week apart. A little 5 point in WV, and a nice 3.5+ 110ish 7 point in PA. That was a heck of a deer in PA at the time so I'll call it my first big buck. Both rifle kills. The big one came out of an "old reliable" camp rifle stand. The one in WV I scouted and picked my own spot. Guess which one I was actually more proud of...

Killed another decent one 115ish with a rifle the next year out of old reliable then had a dry spell with some smaller buck kills. First big buck bow kill was a 130ish 9 point with 5 minutes to go in 2009 archery season. I was a college senior at PSU where I caught the big-woods bug bad. Killed a few decent ones since but still trying to top that one.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 am

I started hunting when I was 38 and shot my first deer during my third hunting season.

Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:06 pm

I started rifle hunting my home state NH when I was 16 back in 02. In 03 at 17 I shot a forkie that weighed 120lb with my open sight 30-30. Pretty sure I picked up bow hunting in 04 and took a doe the same year.Took my biggest to date at 25 in 2011. MN buck 8 pt with broken off brow tine, 155 lb. not necessarily a "big" buck but I was sure happy with it.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 pm

19 when I started really bow hunting. Shot a button buck 3 years later. Shot 9 more deer with a bow before ever killing one with a gun. First pope an young buck was shot around year seven. Several followed in the second ten year period. With only one buck tag per year in Ohio and only hunting for 3.5 and older deer my kills have slowed down. I haven’t hunted gun season much in the last 10 years. I have shot my one big mature deer with a gun back in 2005. I’ll be 49 in July.

Should also note that I have an 18 year old son that has two buck above 140 inches with a bow. He started going to the woods with me when he was 5. Shot his first deer around 10 and first big deer a couple years later. I’m more proud of helping him set up for both those kills than any deer I ever shot myself.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Started hunting in ‘77 when I was 12. Was not allowed to gun hunt for deer till I was 16 in ‘81 killed my first buck that year, did not start bowhunting till ‘86 Killed my first bow buck a small basket 8 point in 87 with the bow on the second day of archery, Ohio and NY were only about a 35 mile drive either direction from my house so started hunting Ohio and NY that year after I killed my PA bow buck, had a close encounter with a mature buck first sit in Ohio, killed that buck the next year in ‘88 with a shotgun after many close encounters with him in ‘88. I started scouting my but off in the off season from ‘87 on and the bucks started falling like crazy, killed bucks with a bow in al three states for many years from ‘88 on usually killed a mature buck every other year from ‘88 till late ‘90’s then had several years where I killed multiple mature bucks. Been a couple years since I’ve killed multiple mature bucks but I’ve been a little more picky
Persistence pays!!!
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm

I was introduced to bowhunting when I was 12 back in 1987. Bad experience that first year as it was my drunk of an uncle who was getting me into it. Really didn't like it at all.
After hearing great deer hunting stories at work I decided I wanted to give it a go again... I was 37. After getting close on a few occasions, I finally got my first deer this past season, a young 9 point.
I'm strictly a bow hunter.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Started bowhunting at age 12 back in 1984 and shot a button that fall. First buck (4 pt) came the following year, and my first "good" buck, at least back then, came in 1989.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 am

If I can remember correctly, I was 12-13 for small game. Dad didnt want me big game hunting with gun. He thought it was dangerous? He did permit me to bow hunt deer and bought me a Darton bow in 82-83? Got a doe in 84 & a 5 point 86. Then started with the gun 86, or when I was 18. Bigger bucks started mid 90`s. There just were not many deer back then & any legal buck was a trophy. Mike
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:19 am

I started deer hunting when I was 12-13 and killed my first when I was 15
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:48 am

I killed a small 4pt on my first hunt when I was ten. My dad hunted small game and doves. He wasn't a deer hunter, but when I asked to go, he was happy to oblige. When the four point walked out there was no hesitation. I popped him with an open sighted 30-30 at about 50 yards. I'm not sure who was happier, me or dad.

I was probably seventeen or eighteen when I killed with a bow for the first time. A doe with my twenty yard pin. Double lunged her.

I've killed several deer over the years, both bucks and does, however my proudest is the one in my avatar. I was thirty and on my first public land hunt. He's not huge but still my biggest to date. My cousin and I shot bucks within two hours of each other along the same ridge-top. We were no more than a few hundred yards apart. After I shot I texted him telling that I made a good hit. I slipped out and started running to his setup because he stayed in the tree after he shot since we were pretty close. He started my way as I started his. We met about halfway and had the quietest high-five/chest bump/bro-hug ever. It was an awesome moment. Our wives are sick of hearing the story.

One thing all of these have in common is that I was shaking like a mad man for each of these shots, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:51 am

I started gun hunting when I was 12 in 2003. I shot my first deer that fall, a one antlered fork horn buck. My dad thought it was a doe and so did I! I shot a 90 inch 8 point a few years later. I think I was 16. In 2012 I shot a 7 year old 10 point on opening morning. This year I shot my biggest buck to date a 135 inch 8 point.

I started bow hunting 2 years ago, I shot a doe this year and am definitely hooked. I had opportunities at bucks with the bow but could not close the deal. When next deer season comes around I will be 27.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

I started at 10, killed a deer with a gun the first year.
Killed my first bow deer in my early teens, that was 25 years ago and I still learning and getting more efficient at killing bigger more mature deer every year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”