How Many Years, And How Old Were You?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

d_rek

Re: How Many Years, And How Old Were You?

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:08 am

I didn't start deer hunting until I was 28. I now have my 7th season under my belt and just closed in on kill number 10 this year.

Two things got my into deer hunting: My wife, who came from a large hunting family, and my dad begging me to goto deer camp for the first time with my uncle and cousins for Michigan's firearms deer season.

I went out and bought a 20ga slug shotgun and was outfitted with hand-me down hunting clothes for that first hunt. On opening day morning I shot a doe, and in the afternoon I shot a 1.5yr old 8pt. I was hooked. The following spring I went out and bought a compound bow so I could extend my season. It would take me 3 more seasons to get my first bow kill, but now i'm on back to back seasons with bow kills.

Honestly when I killed that first deer it was life changing. A part of me that had been hidden revealed itself that day. Now I can't imagine life without hunting, and look forward to a lifetime of hunting and outdoor pursuits!

"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:00 am

Great thread.

I started deer hunting in 1994 when I was 14. Missed a nice 8 on my third hunt, and killed a yearling 8 on my 6th hunt with a bow that year. Killed a buck with a rifle each of the next two years and learned that I was a bowhunter at heart. School and athletics (runner...) got in the way and didn't hunt much until I graduated college. Finally killed another deer with the bow when I was 24. Have killed at least one deer with a bow every year since and have killed a mature (3+) buck about every 3-4 years. In all, bow hunting for 23 years now.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 am

My dad started taking me in the woods when I was 9. I started deer hunting in 1988 with a shotgun when I was 12 thanks to my dad (legal age was 16 back then). I missed chip shots at small bucks that year and the next year because I got wicked excited. My dad kept telling me to shoot a doe but I was stubborn. Finally at 14 I killed a 5 point. I started bow hunting at 14. I missed a small buck when I was 16 and killed my first bow deer (4 point) at 18.

It took me many years to keep my composure when shooting a deer. It doesn't matter if it is a doe, spike, or a 10 point. Once I decide that I want to kill that deer the heart starts pounding hard and fast!

I haven't shot many "good" bucks, I am a 4 point serial killer. :D I am getting a little more consistent at shooting more mature bucks the past few years.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 am

I started bow hunting in 2005 when I was 20, got my first deer Thanksgiving morning of that season, thought it was a doe until we found it and seen it was a button buck. I had a picture somewhere but couldn't find it.

Got my biggest deer 3 years later with a rifle.
165 lbs, 10 point.

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:35 am

I started deer hunting at age ten. Actually started hunting on the bow opener that year. First kill was a rifle kill on December 22, 1998. 3 year old 8 point, 14" spread. The next day I killed another, 5 point, 15" spread.

First mature buck was at age 12. Had seen a buck cross a hollow the Saturday morning prior but couldn't manage to kill him. I "scouted" my way out and figured I needed to be setup on the other side of the hollow to kill him. I actually ended up having to miss school on Thursday and Friday of the next week due to being sick so I wasn't supposed to go on Saturday morning. Slept with one eye open on Friday night and when dad went to leave I was already in the truck. That may be the only argument I've ever won with him.... Killed the deer mid-morning chasing a doe. Mid 120s 11 point. That was my first deer I killed alone, and tagged me out on a special season, I'd already killed two 3 year olds.

First bow deer was a doe at age 13. Third evening in a row of chasing a doe group around a grass patch. Finally guessed their entrance route right. I couldn't count on two hands how many deer I'd already missed with my bow in those four seasons :lol:

First bow buck was age 19. TEN seasons of bowhunting, 4 seasons of being nearly completely bow only, everything that could've gone wrong had happened. 5 days later was my next hunt and I turned around and killed my second bow buck. Hundreds and hundreds of bowhunts without killing a buck, and then all of a sudden, two in a row.

First mature buck with a bow was at age 26, avatar buck. Hopefully there's plenty more to come.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:36 am

I killed my first deer with a shotgun from the ground at age 13. All I remember about hunting as a kid is I froze!! We grew up poor so we didn't have the nice stuff, but we killed a bunch of game. I killed my first deer with a bow when I was 18. It was a spk, but I don't think I've ever been more proud of a deer. I'm 43 now, so it's been a while since I killed my first bow buck, but I can honestly say just about every good memory I have involves the Woods or the water. It has consumed my life since I let that arrow go in 1994.

My son is 12, he killed a 118" 8 pt when he was 7. He's killed several other bucks with a gun including a 6 yr old 10 pt this year. He's killed two deer with his bow.

I have to beg the kid to go with me hunting. I think there's a lot to be said for paying your dues. Maybe ole dad made it too easy on him. Haha!! I think this next year we'll get into the strategy of hunting and scouting. I hope that gets him hooked.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:01 am

I killed my first deer my second day of hunting.I was 14 years old and I shot a 6 point with my bow. I had my pick of 3 of them that walked by at 20 yards. It took me 8 years to shoot my first big buck...that was also with a bow.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:03 am

I started shotgun hunting when I was 14. Just hunted 2 days a year with my brother (my dad doesn't hunt). Started bow hunting when I was 27. Have killed a few decent bucks and plenty of does.

I hope my 3 kids all start when they are 10-12 years old and that they have even more great memories than I have.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:11 am

My first deer hunt was the last 2 days of the 1983 NY gun season. I was 23 and has just returned from overseas. Saw a few deer. Really had no idea what I was doing. Went back in the military that spring and hunted firearm a couple times the last 2 years I was there. Spent several years in Germany then moved to the Upper Peninsula in the fall of 1988. Spent every available day in the woods from early October through the end of firearm season. Didn't harvest a deer that year but scouted hard and learned a ton. Scouted the following September and killed my first bow buck , an 8 pt on my very first hunt. Killed him on my second shot. The first was high, but ricocheted off a branch and stunned the deer. Have never killed what I would consider a wall hanger, though I've harvested more than my share of nice bucks and does over the past 28 seasons. Have hunted alone all but one season and am essentially, self- taught. Scouted with Dan and a good friend (UP Bownut) summer of 2014, but haven't had the time to get really serious about beast tactics till last season. I've always hunted mobile , but used a noise climber or hunted from the ground or what I could climb.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 am

I started hunting at 12(legal age for my state). I had been tagging along with the old man for several years prior. I shot my first deer at 14. It was a 2.5 year old 8 point with the rifle. It took me another 6 years to get my first with the bow. It was a fork horn buck on state land. Another 6 years or so later I finally got my first big buck. It was a state land 9 pointer with the bow. That was 12 years ago.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am

Got my liscence at 12 went duck hunting alot with my dad. He gone now but started deer hunting around i guess 2005.sriously around 2012-13 i guess. Hunted same way used gimmicks scents fell in scent loc loop etc. but 2018 and for now on gonna be alot different my confidence and outlook is skyrockeyed since seeing dan and being on forum.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm

I started hunting when i was 12 amd got my first doe with a rifle that year, and my first buck the following year. Just a little 6 point. I shot a 2.5 yo. 6 point when i was 12, but never found him. One lunged him and started tracking too soon is my guess. Learned a lot from it.
Then, shot my first doe archery hunting when i was 15 or so she only went 50 yards, that felt good.
I think I was 19 when i shot my first big buck. He was big for the area 3.5 yo with a 19" spread.
I've gotten a buck every year since then, so im ready for some big ones. I'd say I'm in the right place to learn how to get more ;)

Great subject. It's cool seeing everyone's progression.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
JusPassinThru

Unread postby JusPassinThru » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 pm

I started out gun hunting when I was 12 years old in 2005. Shot my first deer years later when I was 17, he was a nice tall tined 8pt shy of 20in. Didn't get into bow hunting until I was 18-19 and started getting serious when I was 21. Shot my first buck with a bow two years ago. He was a solid short tined 8pt with a 19 inch spread. After getting my first taste of shooting a buck with a bow, that's when I became addicted
baracus

Unread postby baracus » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 pm

I didn't start deer hunting until the 2016 season at age 39. I have fished and turkey hunted forever buy never had any desire to deer hunt until last year. I hunted all last year and saw 2 deer, one doe and a small 8 pointer. I took the 8 and educated myself all year by reading, listening to podcasts, and scouting and saw 35 deer this year. I hunt an 80 acre private land, mostly hardwoods with some small areas of pines in GA where other people hunt, but I was proud of my increased success and what I have learned over the past year. I passed on all but 3 deer this year, taking 2 does for meat and one nice 3 1/2 year old 8 pointer. I had an opportunity at a giant 10 that I had one trail cam pic of but wasnt able to get a shot. I have gun hunted so far but am looking for a used bow to start practicing with. I found this site after hearing Dan on a podcast about scent control.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:13 pm

I started hunting when I was 12. I had some interest in it, but not a whole lot. I was very impatient and would only sit somewhere for an hour or two and walk around. I only gun hunted for a couple of years, and didn't kill anything. As I got older, I started to have more interest. At the age of 16, I killed my first deer. It was a decent buck for the area, a 3.5 year old 8 point. I was tickled. Shot him at 15 yards with a 30-30 with open sights. After that I was hooked. I started bowhunting the next year, but didn't have any luck for awhile. I believe I was 20 when I killed my 1st deer with my bow, which was a 4 point in the northern part of Mississippi. I killed a bunch of does after that, and missed a bunch of bucks with my bow. I just couldn't shake having buck fever. It drove me crazy and cost me a bunch of really nice deer. I eventually pulled it together in my mid 20s and killed my 1st mature buck with a bow. I drilled him at 30 yards while he made a scrape and watched him run out and pile up end over end in a cloud of dust. He was a big bodied 4.5 year old with a small rack.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”