How close to His bed for setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How close to His bed for setup?

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:17 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Stanley wrote: If a buck hears something and busts out there is a better chance he will come back. If the buck hears you and sees you he more than likely is not coming back.

There is also some difference in the type of beds the buck uses. There are buck beds that you can't see the buck in unless you bust him out. I call these hides rather than beds.
If a buck is hiding in those you will not see him until you bump him.

You can literally walk within a couple of feet of a buck in these and not see him or bust him out. I have seen this many times. Wounded bucks sometimes head for this type of bed (buck I killed in 98 did). The second example is a brush pile bed/hide. Not many hunters look for a buck in a brush pile. I have watched bucks get into huge brush piles left behind from bulldozer clearing.

I sat next to a brush pile about 30 years ago waiting for the buck to come out I watched go into. He never did. I am sure he knew I was there just wouldn't come out. I probably could have crawled up into the pile but could not have killed the buck. I checked that brush pile many times after that the buck was never there again. All beds are not created equal and all bust/bump outs are not either.

I think a deer may stay in there spot if they hear you or see you...

However, that is only if they are not threatened.
They will spend more time scent checking before returning and probably only bed on a perfect wind.
If there is any concern you will likely never see them again until scent free.

If it happens a couple of times I will guess that the spot will die...

I stood 6-7 yards from this bed for approximately 10-minutes before the deer busted out at me!

Great example Ed. You showed it better than I said it.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”