How close to His bed for setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigHunt

Re: How close to His bed for setup?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Stanley wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:For me the rule of thumb is as close as you can without alerting the buck. On a windy day you can get closer. On a still day it is tough to get real close. If you bump the buck setting up it is usually game over. Keep that in mind. You have to give yourself a chance.

also great advice

Unless he circles back...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I have never had a mature buck come back after busting him out of a bed or bedding area. Your chances are so much better if you don't bust him out it's not even close. In my experiences when I have busted a buck out of his bed he often abandons that bed for the rest of the season.

There is a reason the first time in is almost always the best chance. That is not to say it can't happen but I don't like the odds.

stan..I did ...last season if you may recall I bump a nice 8 pointer walking out to this island ...when I walked out that night I kicked him out again ...I think he came back to check things out and so does Dan. instead of hunting that island I should of set up there with the chance of him coming back but I didn't. then again he was a "mature" deer looked only to 2.5 maybe 3.5

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:For me the rule of thumb is as close as you can without alerting the buck. On a windy day you can get closer. On a still day it is tough to get real close. If you bump the buck setting up it is usually game over. Keep that in mind. You have to give yourself a chance.

also great advice

well obviously theres no grantee in hunting

It isn't game over Big Hunt. Odds are down, but you saw it first hand last season. There is a second chance...well at least better than burning another bed and getting in late! Just my 2 cents.

agreed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:10 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

also great advice

well obviously theres no grantee in hunting

It isn't game over Big Hunt. Odds are down, but you saw it first hand last season. There is a second chance...well at least better than burning another bed and getting in late! Just my 2 cents.

Great point and wish I had known this earlier this season as I bumped a buck I was after from his bed. I didn't scare him to the next country, I think he just heard me slipping in to the tree and took off. I was able to watch him trot off and he was not spooked bad at all. Ended up killing him out of that very same bed just days later.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:20 am

Stanley wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

also great advice

I have never had a mature buck come back after busting him out of a bed or bedding area. Your chances are so much better if you don't bust him out it's not even close. In my experiences when I have busted a buck out of his bed he often abandons that bed for the rest of the season.

There is a reason the first time in is almost always the best chance. That is not to say it can't happen but I don't like the odds.

I think we all agree that a stealthy first set is best. I was merely challenging "game over" if you bumped him. To me its more like a "major setback". I've only observed this behavior twice (by accident) but Ive heard a few reports from others on this site.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:04 am

dan wrote:There is no set distance... For example when hunting marshes and swamps I am often only 75 yards from the buck, sometimes closer, but when hunting hill country or open woods sometimes I need to be a couple hundred yards away... You want to be just out of sight, sound, and hearing.

I'm glad you point this out.

In the past I have confused some of the posts, at times, wondering why some Beasts have an Indian (Tonto) ability/instinct;
While I appear to be a Clydesdale in the woods. :roll:

The best solution (that has been taught here) once finding the bed, is too plop your rear-end in the bed and spend 5 or 10 minutes studying "what the deer would see".

I like Singing Bridge tip of putting an orange hat in the bed and walk the perimeter so that you can just barely see it.
If you do this in the spring, before green up, it should provide a good start for "how far from the bed you should be"
Windy days, low areas, thick brush all help getting closer. The entrance is crucial and can be limited due to the wariness of a mature deer's senses of survival.

And after all is said and done, he could just get up and go the opposite direction...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:26 am

blackwolf wrote:In the hilly "big woods" I hunt which is oak ridges when there are acorns, I tend to set up on sidehill trails about 200-400 yards from where I think they are bedding. Out of sight and sound, but close enough.

Sounds like a great early season tactic with acorns involved.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:30 am

I think mastering my silence technique with the lone wolf is also a big key. I literally practiced with my stand in the backyard just working on getting setup quietly, It gave big rewards. Slow is good haha.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:32 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I think mastering my silence technique with the lone wolf is also a big key. I literally practiced with my stand in the backyard just working on getting setup quietly, It gave big rewards. Slow is good haha.

Using a LW hand climber.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:38 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Stanley wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

also great advice

I think we all agree that a stealthy first set is best. I was merely challenging "game over" if you bumped him. To me its more like a "major setback". I've only observed this behavior twice (by accident) but Ive heard a few reports from others on this site.

I think one important thing to realize is that you only see this behavior if you set up and wait for them to come back... A lot of guys whom say its pretty unlikely probably have not given it a chance either... I know I believe in it a lot more as I use the technique more... Yep, in most cases the buck probably don't come back, but in a lot of cases he does. And in the last several years I have had this tactic work for me at least once each season on decent bucks.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:34 am

dan wrote: I think one important thing to realize is that you only see this behavior if you set up and wait for them to come back... A lot of guys whom say its pretty unlikely probably have not given it a chance either... I know I believe in it a lot more as I use the technique more... Yep, in most cases the buck probably don't come back, but in a lot of cases he does. And in the last several years I have had this tactic work for me at least once each season on decent bucks.

There could be some misunderstanding on the degree of bump/bust out. If a buck hears something and busts out there is a better chance he will come back. If the buck hears you and sees you he more than likely is not coming back.

There is also some difference in the type of beds the buck uses. There are buck beds that you can't see the buck in unless you bust him out. I call these hides rather than beds. A couple of examples come to mind. 8 feet tall horse weeds you can't get close with out the buck knowing you are there. Dead horse weeds make a huge racket when walking through. If a buck is hiding in those you will not see him until you bump him. These are impossible to scout in the spring as they don't exist yet.

The buck moves into them in the summer after the green growth. You can literally walk within a couple of feet of a buck in these and not see him or bust him out. I have seen this many times. Wounded bucks sometimes head for this type of bed (buck I killed in 98 did). The second example is a brush pile bed/hide. Not many hunters look for a buck in a brush pile. I have watched bucks get into huge brush piles left behind from bulldozer clearing.

I sat next to a brush pile about 30 years ago waiting for the buck to come out I watched go into. He never did. I am sure he knew I was there just wouldn't come out. I probably could have crawled up into the pile but could not have killed the buck. I checked that brush pile many times after that the buck was never there again. All beds are not created equal and all bust/bump outs are not either.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:41 am

I mostly agree with that Stan... I think you can get away with sight and sound a lot more than scent though. I find if they smell you its more likely they are not coming back.
I do agree though fully that the type of bed and the hardness of the bump have a lot to do with it also...
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:26 pm

The OP was inquiring about distance. I think that is best determined at the time set of up. That's not to say you shouldn't have options. Or in the case of only one option it really isn't a question. Haha
My point is that it would be very difficult to guess what the foliage will look like in September when scouting in March.
The difference between opening week and the middle of October are worlds apart in my areas.
Couple in the wind and even sunny or overcast conditions and I say pick your tree on your approach.
Which of course is based on the wind determined favorable for that bed for that day.
IMHO

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:28 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

also great advice

stan..I did ...last season if you may recall I bump a nice 8 pointer walking out to this island ...when I walked out that night I kicked him out again ...I think he came back to check things out and so does Dan. instead of hunting that island I should of set up there with the chance of him coming back but I didn't. then again he wasn't a "mature" deer looked only to 2.5 maybe 3.5

opps I meant not mature
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:49 am

Arrowbender wrote:The OP was inquiring about distance. I think that is best determined at the time set of up. That's not to say you shouldn't have options. Or in the case of only one option it really isn't a question. Haha
My point is that it would be very difficult to guess what the foliage will look like in September when scouting in March.
The difference between opening week and the middle of October are worlds apart in my areas.
Couple in the wind and even sunny or overcast conditions and I say pick your tree on your approach.
Which of course is based on the wind determined favorable for that bed for that day.
IMHO

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thats a really good point Arrow...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:29 am

Stanley wrote: If a buck hears something and busts out there is a better chance he will come back. If the buck hears you and sees you he more than likely is not coming back.

There is also some difference in the type of beds the buck uses. There are buck beds that you can't see the buck in unless you bust him out. I call these hides rather than beds.
If a buck is hiding in those you will not see him until you bump him.

You can literally walk within a couple of feet of a buck in these and not see him or bust him out. I have seen this many times. Wounded bucks sometimes head for this type of bed (buck I killed in 98 did). The second example is a brush pile bed/hide. Not many hunters look for a buck in a brush pile. I have watched bucks get into huge brush piles left behind from bulldozer clearing.

I sat next to a brush pile about 30 years ago waiting for the buck to come out I watched go into. He never did. I am sure he knew I was there just wouldn't come out. I probably could have crawled up into the pile but could not have killed the buck. I checked that brush pile many times after that the buck was never there again. All beds are not created equal and all bust/bump outs are not either.

I think a deer may stay in there spot if they hear you or see you...

However, that is only if they are not threatened.
They will spend more time scent checking before returning and probably only bed on a perfect wind.
If there is any concern you will likely never see them again until scent free.

If it happens a couple of times I will guess that the spot will die...

I stood 6-7 yards from this bed for approximately 10-minutes before the deer busted out at me!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”