Soul searching... Dreaming perhaps!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Soul searching... Dreaming perhaps!

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:44 am

There has been numerous "where would you move to" threads.

My question is a two-part question of sorts, so it's slightly different...

Preface:
Basically I was born good-looking and not rich (at least that's what my Mom says ;) )
And now being middle-aged/more experienced the tendency is to look back 10 or 15 years and then forward 10-15 years hoping to steer your future/destiny into the sunset with a smile on your face.
Sort of dreaming or reshuffling the deck and maybe playing a new hand with better cards (the experience thing)...

However, the last few years I can't stop thinking about what it's like to live somewhere elsewhere (possibly a mid-life crisis :mrgreen: )
I have vacationed to a handful of states and have had hunting trips to a few others, but my heart, up until this point, seems to be shifting from NH to "somewhere" else more easily.

So my two questions are:

#1) If work dictated your decision where would you live?

#2) Money was no object where would you live?

I think for #1 - I would have to go w/ the Mid-West quadrant of Twin-City / WI / MI / IL for my profession (most options for employment in the medical plastics/device industry)

For #2 - Probably one of the Mtn States

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Beast-Mode

Re: Sole searching... Dreaming perhaps!

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:52 am

Nice thread title!
For me its hard to imagine not living in Minnesota. I have left twice in my life and both times were to South Dakota and I went only a few miles over the border. Maybe as I get older and see more places my thinking will change.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:39 am

I like living in Iowa...I grew up there, left for a while and lived quite a few different places, and came back mostly because of my wife. If work dictated where I lived I would live in any major urban area being in the engineering profession but instead I choose to commute 50+ miles and am totally OK with it because that means I go home every night back home in the hills :D

If I started over, blank slate, money was irrelevant, I would hightail it for New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, (or Alaska maybe, but not sure if I want all that darkness in the winter)....or New Zealand, its pretty cool down there and more hunter-friendly than you might think. Somewhere with a wide array of outdoor activities, not just deer hunting as much as I love it.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 am

Sole searching.... Are you looking for shoes? :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 am

Job restricted I think I am fine right where I am in SE WI. I make good money and have great hunting with plenty of trophy potential in every direction. I never have a shortage of public land to hunt and if I want to do some big woods hunting it's all within a 3 hour drive.

If a job didn't matter I would like to live in Montana or Wyoming. I love the mountains and wide open spaces with very few people and plenty of wildlife. The variety of hunting options is endless and would keep me very happy. 8-)

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 am

solocam88 wrote:Sole searching.... Are you looking for shoes? :)

Take a walk on the wild side!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bucky

Re: Soul searching... Dreaming perhaps!

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 am

NE WI.... some of highest pay for pharmacists in country and some of the best fishing with Green Bay. Great whitetail hunting is within a few hours too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 am

Basically where I live now, Northern WI. I love this area for the fishing first, then solitude and hunting the style I enjoy. (Defiantly not the best whetail hunting the state has to offer.)

I used to travel a lot for work.......worked projects in 21 states with the vast majority east of the Mississippi River. Seen a lot of country and still call WI home. Now I am somewhat grounded with a work/office home base in the Fox River Valley (I live 2.5 hour drive north) and not in the field as much as before. This is a good thing for the family life. Still average about 2-3 nights a week away from home but that is a lot better than it was before and in my profession, nothing to complain about.

A close second for me would be Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Was even offered a satellite division a few years back and took a bit, but turned it down because of remaining family in WI. My wife was ok with the potential move but could tell it wasn't what she really wanted. Fishing would have been better, about the same or less work travel time away form home base and equal hunting or maybe even better than northern WI.

Same location but a different house. In fact two houses......one for the wife and kids closer to town and one for me further from town than I am already. :lol:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 pm

#1 Work, I have to stay in FL, preferably in or around a major city. I plan on moving somewhere on the outskirts of Tallahassee in a few years. The difference in deer hunting from where I am vs there is like the difference of the northeast and the midwest. Although there it still is not as good as the NE. LOL.

#2 Nowhere, I would be a nomad. Hunting cabins in several states, motorhome for traveling, beach house somewhere for summer. I don't like to let the grass grow under my feet.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm

#1. Right where I am. NE IL is a great spot for a water resources engineer, they regulate the crap out of people and someone needs to get their permits! Live 5 minutes from real home (WI border) and have a place to hunt in IL 5 minutes from home, plenty of public in WI just over the border (someday I'll figure out how to actually see deer with all of your help) and cabin in central WI is 3 hrs.

#2. Madison? Point? Appleton? Twin Cities? Just need to be closer than two hours from a trout stream, and I'm a Wisconsin guy at the core. Out west would be nice but would probably require me to get on shape.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:30 pm

I'd love to live in Iowa, and hunt every state Iowa touches.

I do believe everyone still uses electricity, so I can probably get a job somewhere.

I'm kinda dug in over here in NY, but our governor is making me think about leaving. It's an election year here so the ahole has a commercial saying he's gonna cut a bunch of property tax. He's trying to suck everyone in again....ugghhh... :?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:36 pm

After this winter anywhere but here!!! :lol:
I'm a Heavy Equipment Operator, so anywhere there is Dirt I guess I could work... Northwest MO, or Iowa would be top of the list.... If $$ was not an option, Texas sure was nice when I lived there.. Or anywhere I could ride the Harley year round would work.. 8-)

FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:46 pm

I think for the most part "home" is different and special to everyone for different reasons. For me that is wisconsin. There's no where else that i would rather be. My grandpa puts it the best and at 96 he's been there and done that more than enough to cover the bases but he says "you can travel all over the world but sooner or later your going to miss home". For us that's being on the farm and as much as i like visiting the mountains or being up north in the big woods after a week or two i can't wait to get back to the farm and be home.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:07 pm

I was born in Wisconsin, moved to Iowa, then moved back to Wisconsin, and now I'm back in Iowa. I don't want to be anywhere else. What is holding everyone back from making their dreams happen?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:14 pm

I been in MI now 23 years and Im dug in. I love what MI has to offer for the outdoors. Might not be deer hunting nirvana but where else can you do all things we do here.

A close second would be NH, I would probably want to live next door to Ed.

If I didn't have to work, I'm with Palmetto, I would just travel around and check the country out a bit more slinging lead weights and bullets
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”