Knock'n on Doors.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

yungbuck
500 Club

Re: Knock'n on Doors.

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:07 pm

i have 2 hunting buddies that live in my town and the rest just have homes in neighborhoods (which do carry deer but are not huntable). I have considered putting an add in some church bulletins ha but that is what I would call desperation. My goal is a couple of spots within 20 minutes of home....we will see

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 am

yungbuck wrote:i have 2 hunting buddies that live in my town and the rest just have homes in neighborhoods (which do carry deer but are not huntable). I have considered putting an add in some church bulletins ha but that is what I would call desperation. My goal is a couple of spots within 20 minutes of home....we will see

As long as it is ethical, there's nothing wrong with trying to get hunting access.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:45 pm

agreed! seems the key is who you know...and getting the who you know to realize they have valuable land when it comes to deer but to not fully realize the value of that land...if you get my drift...I would easily pay a close spot owner a few hundred bucks for a crack at a nice buck and the saved gas money....but that property could probably lease for 500-2000 any day thats the balance of finding open land and giving the owner respect and some compensation for them allowing you to hunt
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:40 am

There can be many ways to approach new people and none are bad until proven such.
The church bulletin sounds good for rural area maybe. I considered visiting a VFW bar area during the day to visit with the "old timers" and feel the time spent would never be wasted in that circumstance. Between the stories they share and the company I share its a win-win. They are the type that bought the 40 acres way back, hunted on it, cut firewood off it and now it sits.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:26 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:There can be many ways to approach new people and none are bad until proven such.
The church bulletin sounds good for rural area maybe. I considered visiting a VFW bar area during the day to visit with the "old timers" and feel the time spent would never be wasted in that circumstance. Between the stories they share and the company I share its a win-win. They are the type that bought the 40 acres way back, hunted on it, cut firewood off it and now it sits.

i hunt a property like that...its about 30 acres timber and 20 acres crp and 40 crop...used to cut firewood so I never know where the people have walked on the property but he does not hunt it and allows me to hunt so its really a win win...hearing some of the hunting sotries from the property has been truly a gift in and of itself!
mtmaggard

Unread postby mtmaggard » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Has anyone had success with calling to ask for permission to hunt without ever meeting the owners? Or is this a bad idea when compared to just knocking on doors? I am trying to work up the courage to ask permission but its not as easy for me as it is for some more outgoing people. (I know, suck it up, all they can say is no).
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:00 pm

mtmaggard wrote:Has anyone had success with calling to ask for permission to hunt without ever meeting the owners? Or is this a bad idea when compared to just knocking on doors? I am trying to work up the courage to ask permission but its not as easy for me as it is for some more outgoing people. (I know, suck it up, all they can say is no).

I would definitely not go this route... i cant see anyone giving permission based off a phone call.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”