Knock'n on Doors.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trad4life

Re: Knock'n on Doors.

Unread postby trad4life » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Bring your kids...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

you beat me to it. kids can really help. if you don't have any kids, borrow someone's (preferably a family member or a friend's). it wouldn't be good to borrow someone's kids if they didn't know you. :lol:

also, it's easier to get permission to turkey hunt. start there. once you establish a relationship with the land owners, you can open the door to deer hunting possibly in the future.

I take my younger cousins out small game hunting but i have never had them there when i asked for permission. I have never tried to turkey hunt in my life so maybe this spring ill give it a whirl!
Good input, thanks!
-Trad4life

trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:34 pm

bblefty wrote:This is one aspect of my hunting on which I have been extremely aggressive. I've tracked down every contact my parents have ever had as well as people I've known through my high school. I've had a lot of luck by being polite, offering venison and being a good friend in general.

I'm surprised how many people consider allowing you to hunt, if you are young, in school and find a connection or something to talk about. My best property right now is one in which I just talk to this older couple who seem to like the company.

Now, I've just got to do a better job hunting.

Yeah aggressive might be a good tool to utilize as well. I have gained permission for a few acres in the suburbs more because of deer damage which is pretty cool.
trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Chris Conroy wrote:I'm working on a big farm that I got permission to run cams on 2 weeks ago. I'm running a Covert Special Ops and I offered to add his number so he could get all the pics that I get. He thought that was pretty cool and he can see what's on his land. I figured this is my first step towards hunting. I can scout and shed hunt while I hang the cameras.

That is a interesting topic with the trail cameras. Good idea!

-Trad4life
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:05 am

Bucky wrote:
Chris Conroy wrote:I'm working on a big farm that I got permission to run cams on 2 weeks ago. I'm running a Covert Special Ops and I offered to add his number so he could get all the pics that I get. He thought that was pretty cool and he can see what's on his land. I figured this is my first step towards hunting. I can scout and shed hunt while I hang the cameras.

Double edged sword.... sometimes the landowner has family over on the holidays and says "look at this" and shows a family member who hunts a nice buck etc.and you typically wont trump family. I have found it best if you are gonna show pics to show them or your phone or laptop to the landowner but try not to give mpegs, emails, or printed out pics because the first thing they do with such info is show it to a buddy to show off what is on the back 40! It is human nature and it only brings headaches....

The best way to get good access is networking.... be it at work, church, school, your kids soccer game... let people know of your interest in bowhunting and find out what interests they have so maybe you can help them - nothing better/more rewarding than making someone happy. Sooner or later it will lead you to an opportunity to explore....

X2 on sharing pictures. Sharing only brings headaches. I don't even show them. I'd much rather talk about how much fun I'm having out there and how gracious I am to have the opportunity. Most people just want to feel appreciated.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 am

I use shed hunting as a way to get access to private land. I spend a lot of time looking at plat books and aerials, then I will narrow down a bunch of properties I want to ask. I like using shed hunting first, because if a landowner gives you permission to shed hunt, you already know they aren't serious about deer hunting. This gives you a chance to weed places out. I will then stop by several times in the Spring, BS with the owners, and bring gifts. I rarely ask to deer hunt the first time I meet someone. Walking the property for sheds will also allow you to scout, look for treestands, and see if the property is worth while.

I got permission on a farm this year after establishing a relationship over 5 years. I actually never asked to deer hunt, they ended up asking me if I wanted to!!! This comes after 30 years of never letting anyone hunt, and shooting guns in the air over anyone that crossed his fence :lol: . I lost permission from 3 farms because of leasing this year, but by doing this process I have already gained permission from 3 new farms, totaling over 1000 acres. I am thankful for the opportunity to hunt, but I am more thankful for the relationships I have made with such great people.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am

Over the years I've beat on lots of doors. I've had all kinds of reactions and answers. Not a single one was ever a yes. Around here everyone is throwing tons of money at landowners and they all are well aware of it. An acquaintance of mine got permission on a small 10 acre suburban property. He hunted there one season and the following year someone offered the landowner $3500. I could never justify that kind of money for that size property.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm

recently read a book that mentioned writing them a letter that gives your contact information, general information like career family hobbies etc, and then states a day/time you will come to their house to see if they are open to granting you permission. the theory was that people have come to instantly not trust or welcome any form of solicitation from phone calls to door knocking. so i thought I might employ this tactic- any thoughts, suggestions, or people who have tried this means to gain properties?
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:51 pm

yungbuck wrote:recently read a book that mentioned writing them a letter that gives your contact information, general information like career family hobbies etc, and then states a day/time you will come to their house to see if they are open to granting you permission. the theory was that people have come to instantly not trust or welcome any form of solicitation from phone calls to door knocking. so i thought I might employ this tactic- any thoughts, suggestions, or people who have tried this means to gain properties?

Interesting, but I don't think I would do that. I feel that would be overwhelming and it is so much easier to throw it away. But who knows maybe it could work!

-Trad4Life
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:59 pm

we will see have not tried it yet but as the year goes on I realize I am burning up valuable time twiddln my thumbs
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:53 am

I have a significant amount of success writing letters when I started a few years ago. Anytime I've ever mentioned it on most forums, it gets downplayed big time. I've had people tell me I'm lying, and if I provide data (I keep success rate logs), they act like it's not real. So, I don't largely mention it anywhere else now. Some people here may find the tactic useful.

I have exclusive permission on multiple properties from letters. I have also done the bulk of my out of state access via letters, and about 20% via phone calls.

Let's break this down.

Say it takes you 4 hours to drive to the state in question. You need to be prepared with research and you know the counties/towns you want to hit up. You burn 8 hours of drive time plus gas knocking on doors. Chances are you have to burn up an overnight trip just to roll the dice on getting permission...that means a hotel or camp, etc. Now, you're up in the several hundred dollar range for cost between gas, food, hotel. Just for a gamble of the dice.

Hypothetically, I can take $100, send out letters to 200 landowners in the same county, and never leave home. I wait for the responses. The ones that say yes opens the dialogue and a phone call typically ensues to touch base and get details. Once I feel enough time has lapsed where I feel I won't get anymore responses, I will then schedule a weekend to head to the area and visit all of the owners I get permission from and scout. This time, however, I'm not banking on a roll of the dice. It's a known place with a known schedule. I can map out the aerials ahead of time along with topos. I have a plan in place.

Realistically, I send much fewer letters because my success rate is higher than I thought in the state I focus on. I have a lower success rate in my home state, but it is still more than acceptable with the cost.

There are some pluses to letters (and some detractors). Inevitably, some owners want face to face. That's fine and understandable, but the point to remember is that you don't know which ones are like that. There are just as many who prefer a nice, well-written letter they can read on their own time and feel comfortable making the call. LANDOWNERS call me. That's right. They call me to say yes, or no, or maybe. I've found out just as many owners actually prefer to do it on their own schedule. Face it, people are busier today than they were 10 years ago. Some owners have told me explicitly that I got permission solely because of my approach.

Really, you are playing a numbers game. The most letters I have ever sent out in a batch was 52. Much more often, I only send out 10-15 because it can be hard to keep track of who you send to. I stagger my mailings, sending out a few each week from Jan through March/April.

One of the funny points mentioned by a prior poster is that owners will just throw the letter away. I'm sure that happens with those not interested. They'd likely say no anyway. But, I've had two landowners call me 3 months and 13 months after I sent them the letter. Seriously, one guy called me over a year later, saying he meant to call me, set the letter on his desk and it got buried. He came across it and called me back to offer me exclusive access to his parcel, and one that his neighbors have been trying to hunt for decades. Why'd he give me permission? He's a police office and absolutely loved my approach and the letter showed that I was a serious hunter who would treat his land well.

I'll close out with my success rates for when I started tracking them three years ago

In-state
52 letters - 2 yes, 1 maybe (one turned out to have good bucks, but every quality spot had a stand in it when scouted, I passed - the other was the aforementioned cop)
22 letters - 2 yes (one turned into an exclusive gem - the other I passed on)

Out of state
32 letters - 3 yes
11 letters - 1 yes, 2 maybe (passed on both maybes)
7 letters - 1 yes
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:47 am

Do you send out the same letter to all the landowners or do you sometimes decide to change it up a bit?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:07 am

Wlog wrote:Over the years I've beat on lots of doors. I've had all kinds of reactions and answers. Not a single one was ever a yes. Around here everyone is throwing tons of money at landowners and they all are well aware of it. An acquaintance of mine got permission on a small 10 acre suburban property. He hunted there one season and the following year someone offered the landowner $3500. I could never justify that kind of money for that size property.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Wow! I've never heard of $350/acre for a lease. That is nuts. I hope it was a slam dunk property.

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:43 am

Phade -

I am interested in anything else you have to share about your methods.

Thank you.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:05 pm

I admire your hard work Phade. Have you ever thought of sending out letters, and then contacting all of the landowners by phone maybe a week or so later? I think you would maybe be able to pick up a few more properties if you didn't wait for them to contact you. :think:
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:14 am

dans wrote:Do you send out the same letter to all the landowners or do you sometimes decide to change it up a bit?

I worked in a role for several years in the communications field for my current company. I learned that the key is to make a communication not look like a form letter while making it 95% a form letter.

So the short answer is that I have a template that I use and only make changes to select specific parts of it to speed up the process. More letters sent out = more spaghetti on the wall. Not every yes is going to turn into a viable hunting location. But for my time spent, cost, etc., I seem to do OK on access.

There are instances where I will customize a letter. For example, I just sent out some letters this week. One letter I knew was going to an older female English teacher - one who had published some children's books. She owns a small parcel, but one I know will be good from the aerial layouts - she has a few major physical funnels on her ground. In that letter, I highlighted my education (BS/MS), my professional certifications, career, and writing background. I made sure to use writing features such as a semicolon correctly in a sentence. Little things like that will go a long way - you know the teacher in her is going to see that semicolon used correctly...and she's familiar with the fact that 99% of the population cannot use it in a sentence properly. If I know I am reaching out to a professional person or a successful business person, I highlight my education/career. That seems to open doors and dispel the myth of the redneck hunter. If I write to a farmer - it is usually omitted and I focus more on treating the land well and that I come from a farming town.
Last edited by phade on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”