Knock'n on Doors.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trad4life

Knock'n on Doors.

Unread postby trad4life » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Knocking on doors to get permission to deer hunt is like me back in high school trying to get a date for prom..... a lot of hard hitting "no's " :lol: I have noticed that it is nearly impossible to get permission to deer hunt private land in Wisconsin if you don't personally know the land owner. So lately I have noticed that doing these things can increase the odds of you being able to hunt the property and form a relationship with the land owner.

1. Before you even knock, figure out the name of the landowners and how to pronounce the name.
2. Your appearance is everything. Don't look like you just woke up or had a of a night, but shave and look nice
3. Wear clothes that are respectable. Don't be decked out in camouflage or cut offs because this can send the wrong message if the landowners aren't hunters.
4. Greet them accordingly, that means with a cheerful smile and positive attitude. Personality goes along way.
5. I always ask to speak to the male because he is more likely to say yes to any sort of hunting (In my opinion men say yes much more often than women)
6. Introduce yourself and have a good handshake.
7. Speak politely and respectfully to the person. Don't come off as a "know it all" or as a hick.
8. Get your foot in the door. Personally I have asked to small game hunt much further in advance than going straight for the permission to deer hunt. If the landowners deer hunt they probably don't want some random hunter shooting "their" deer, so ask if you can small game hunt. Small game hunting can let you on the property and you get a feel for it while shooting some critters. Small game hunting also allows you to start building a relationship with the landowner.
9. Along with building a relationship ask if you can do anything like fix fences, help with the harvest, rake leaves, or mow the lawn. This shows you aren't just using them, but they too get something out of this.
10. If you are allowed on the land get their phone number and always tell them in advance when you are going to be there.
11. If you hunt a property and harvest game, always ask if they would like some of the meat (any animal deer, rabbit, squirrel, grouse, pheasant, raccoon etc)
12. Be considerate with the landowner. This means respect the property and the rules. If you can only shoot a doe then you only shoot a doe. Easy as that.
13. Always be grateful toward landowners so always tell them thank you (I will get them a gift and venison to show how thankful I am, they really do appreciate the gesture) .
14. Always keep in mind that you are a guest and that they are letting you hunt their property. It is a privilege, not a right.

-Trad4life

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Knock'n on Doors.

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Some good pointers.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:11 am

Another thing you can do is print out a word document and give it the landowners. Here is what I include.

1) Full Name, Address & Phone Number (I feel that most people know how to use the Wis. Circuit court website. let them look you up , so they know you have nothing to hide)
2) What ever vehicle you are going to be driving while hunting, including the license plate number. ( if more than 1, include all possibles)
3) A brief biography, of when you took hunter's Safety and what you hunt and for how long, talk about the traditions of your family if you have any.
4) Mention any clubs or organizations you are a part of, especially if you hold or held any office positions.
5) If possible give them a schedule of the days you usually hunt and request any days, that they would prefer you not hunt. ( maybe they will be having a big family get together on a weekend)
6) References for any other private landowners you have hunted on.

This has worked for me in the past. Giving them this information shows them, you have nothing to hide and that you are respectful sportsmen, that will take care of their property and follow their rules.

It's tough these days to get permission, so don't give them any reason to doubt. I have had it happen, where they initially said no and a few days later they called and gave me permission, so I figured they went and did a background on me and felt more comfortable, with the information I provided.
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:17 am

Bring your kids...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:11 am

C&T that sounds like great approach and will give it a go.
My thought of the day. ...when its time to plant your garden remind yourself to knock on doors to grow relationships. Easy to remember cause its corny.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:21 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Bring your kids...

you beat me to it. kids can really help. if you don't have any kids, borrow someone's (preferably a family member or a friend's). it wouldn't be good to borrow someone's kids if they didn't know you. :lol:

also, it's easier to get permission to turkey hunt. start there. once you establish a relationship with the land owners, you can open the door to deer hunting possibly in the future.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:53 am

justdirtyfun wrote:C&T that sounds like great approach and will give it a go.
My thought of the day. ...when its time to plant your garden remind yourself to knock on doors to grow relationships. Easy to remember cause its corny.

If it's a farmer they will be very busy at that time. For farmers the time to contact them would be January, February or now.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:58 am

trad4life wrote:5. I always ask to speak to the male because he is more likely to say yes to any sort of hunting (In my opinion men say yes much more often than women)

I've always had the complete opposite of this...

However, I have the Kovorka so it's understandable ;)

good notes though Trad!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:23 pm

great topic. And now is a good time for planning for the fall. You can get a ton of info and the local registrar of deed. I have sent letters to landowners. Sometimes you drive by a place and you always wonder if its a good time. Around here there are a lot of absentee landowners and knocking on doors isn't an option.

Turkey and especially coyotes are a good start that could lead to deer hunting. Many farmers want coyotes controlled
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:29 pm

I've once gained permission to hunt a property the spring before. I just asked if I could look for sheds in his woods. That kinda scratched the surface that resulted in me getting permission to hunt that land. Morel mushroom hunting might be a good way too.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm working on a big farm that I got permission to run cams on 2 weeks ago. I'm running a Covert Special Ops and I offered to add his number so he could get all the pics that I get. He thought that was pretty cool and he can see what's on his land. I figured this is my first step towards hunting. I can scout and shed hunt while I hang the cameras.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Chris Conroy wrote:I'm working on a big farm that I got permission to run cams on 2 weeks ago. I'm running a Covert Special Ops and I offered to add his number so he could get all the pics that I get. He thought that was pretty cool and he can see what's on his land. I figured this is my first step towards hunting. I can scout and shed hunt while I hang the cameras.

Double edged sword.... sometimes the landowner has family over on the holidays and says "look at this" and shows a family member who hunts a nice buck etc.and you typically wont trump family. I have found it best if you are gonna show pics to show them or your phone or laptop to the landowner but try not to give mpegs, emails, or printed out pics because the first thing they do with such info is show it to a buddy to show off what is on the back 40! It is human nature and it only brings headaches....

The best way to get good access is networking.... be it at work, church, school, your kids soccer game... let people know of your interest in bowhunting and find out what interests they have so maybe you can help them - nothing better/more rewarding than making someone happy. Sooner or later it will lead you to an opportunity to explore....

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I've once gained permission to hunt a property the spring before. I just asked if I could look for sheds in his woods. That kinda scratched the surface that resulted in me getting permission to hunt that land. Morel mushroom hunting might be a good way too.

I like the mushroom hunting idea. Kinda a way to ease into things before asking if you can go kill a deer behind their house.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Bucky wrote:
Chris Conroy wrote:I'm working on a big farm that I got permission to run cams on 2 weeks ago. I'm running a Covert Special Ops and I offered to add his number so he could get all the pics that I get. He thought that was pretty cool and he can see what's on his land. I figured this is my first step towards hunting. I can scout and shed hunt while I hang the cameras.

Double edged sword.... sometimes the landowner has family over on the holidays and says "look at this" and shows a family member who hunts a nice buck etc.and you typically wont trump family. I have found it best if you are gonna show pics to show them or your phone or laptop to the landowner but try not to give mpegs, emails, or printed out pics because the first thing they do with such info is show it to a buddy to show off what is on the back 40! It is human nature and it only brings headaches....

The best way to get good access is networking.... be it at work, church, school, your kids soccer game... let people know of your interest in bowhunting and find out what interests they have so maybe you can help them - nothing better/more rewarding than making someone happy. Sooner or later it will lead you to an opportunity to explore....

I agree with sharing the pictures but it was my only way on the property. Even if I don't hunt his land, it borders water access only public lands. He and his 2 boys hunt the farm. We talked for over an hour about hunting and other hobbies. I'm hoping it leads to more in the future.

bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:07 pm

This is one aspect of my hunting on which I have been extremely aggressive. I've tracked down every contact my parents have ever had as well as people I've known through my high school. I've had a lot of luck by being polite, offering venison and being a good friend in general.

I'm surprised how many people consider allowing you to hunt, if you are young, in school and find a connection or something to talk about. My best property right now is one in which I just talk to this older couple who seem to like the company.

Now, I've just got to do a better job hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”