Be Careful Hanging/Removing Stands...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
briar
500 Club

Re: Be Careful Hanging/Removing Stands...

Unread postby briar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:01 am

I have fallen twice and was very close a 3rd time. First fall was hanging a stand and it was damaged and I didn't know it. Got it hunt and was standing on it and the whole thing fell out. 2nd time I was going down the tree on a climber and my elbows came off the top part and the bottom dropped with me on it to about 8 feet. I landed, pulled the rivets out of the foot stirrups and went backwards off the platform. Pretty much landed on my uppper back. Last time I was hanging the stand and was tied in......whole stand came part and it fell out from under me and left me hanging...crazy part is I sat in it a full morning a week earlier.

Be careful out there....you never think it will be you til its you.

Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:15 am

I fell once. I had just shot my first buck. I was climbing down when an old wooden step broke. I fell about 10 feet onto a barbwire fence. I was lucky the worst injury I had was a large (but not deep) cut on my backside which I did not notice until I was cleaning the deer.
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am

I've had a two close calls that was about 7 years ago I worry still some times climbing I try not to be in a rush to hang my stand
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:15 am

Only fall I took was a few years ago free climbing a giant deadfall oak. I slipped on wet bark and landed square on my back, actually square on my ML which was slung over my back, on the trunk of the tree. I was only about 3' off the actual ground. I was so surprised at how immeasurably fast the action was from initial slip to me being on my back. There was no time to catch myself had I been higher.

I used to be pretty daring, I'm actually surprised I have never had a close call from a stand. . But I am going %100 connectivity from now on. I already use a belt when using open stands but I plan on taking no chances whatsoever from now on.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:15 am

I think the biggest thing is taking your time to hang the set, waited 365 days to do it again whats and extra 5 minutes to hang, I slowed way down hanging this year. I was pretty gun shy, this year during the 1st few hangs.
Muy Grande
Location: Alabama; chase whitetails in Tennessee and Kentucky

Unread postby Muy Grande » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:41 pm

keb wrote:I think the biggest thing is taking your time to hang the set, waited 365 days to do it again whats and extra 5 minutes to hang, I slowed way down hanging this year. I was pretty gun shy, this year during the 1st few hangs.

This is exactly right. Needless to say, I have slowed WAY down in hanging or removing a stand. A few extra minutes hanging one or a few more moments taken to climb are well worth it. I have no desire to hear bones crunch or feel that level of fear in my body ever again.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Glad you are doing good. This is a good reminder that we should see this time of the year. Most people think about tree stand falls in October/November but hanging tree stands can be just as dangerous. A few years back we would hug trees as we hung stands and looking back it was a pretty dumb thing. We risked a fall, especially when sweating horribly in anything over 75 degrees. I hate to say it but safety was a main concern but what got us away from "hugging" trees was when my buddy and I were putting up a stand while both wrapping our arms around a tree not noticing the poison oak all around the tree. I think it was god's way of saying, "If you are not safer, something is a lot worse is going to happen". We now wear a linesman's strap whenever hanging stands. We've been safer and haven't got poison oak since.
Muy Grande

Unread postby Muy Grande » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:52 pm

[quote="Bigb"] Most people think about tree stand falls in October/November but hanging tree stands can be just as dangerous. quote]

No doubt about it. I firmly believe the vast majority of accidents involving treestands occur when you are either stepping off of your ladder/sticks onto the stand or vice versa. I'm sure there is a study somewhere that shows that, but I am sure the % is high. And, that can happen while hunting or just putting them up or down. Thats exactly how mine went down, pardon the pun. Went from stepping onto my platform to cartwheeling off the side. Simple foot slip. Like someone said earlier, before you know it you're on the ground. I don't even think I got the first curse word/scream out before I hit. I did manage somehow to rip my bow sling off my back before hitting. My Alphaburner luckily took its own 25 foot tumble without me landing on it. It took it a lot better than I did, lol. It's killed a few deer since then :D. Of course, it also didn't land on an exposed beech root right on the hip socket either. I may have almost as many screws now as it does though. Be careful, fellows. And, thanks for the well wishes. I really appreciate it.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Good post. Thank you for sharing. This story will be in my mind while hanging stands this year. I'm glad you're ok bro.

VA
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 am

Maybe going up with lineman's belts will make me slow down also.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt even worse. Sounds like it's been a long recovery.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Muy Grande

Unread postby Muy Grande » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:54 pm

4 years ago this morning was when I fell...be careful out there guys.
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:19 am

Always strapped in. With that, IMO, we need to have a practiced/drilled plan for either self rescue or rescue by others AND a working plan on relieving pressure that can cause suspension trauma. Avoiding the fall is the first step.

I have moved to a RC harness and I carry an extra strap w/ Prussic and carabiner. Plan to inch my way down tree. Lower rope Prussic has a strap for my foot. I plan on stepping up, loosening and lowering the upper strap, and continuing until at ground level.

I still need to practice it, but waiting until I have someone there in case my plan does not work out.

I saw a video of a guy that does something similar on a lifeline. He adds a second Prussic carabiner and strap to main lifeline and inches down the rope.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:57 am

Great, great reminder. I know some of the guys get sick of me preaching safety and using a harness. Too bad!!!! I will not let off when it comes to advocating about getting the Beast hunters home safely.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:07 am

Glad your okay! Definitely a good reminder that anything can happen in the woods and to keep safety as the number 1 priority!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:11 am

I helped with a Hunter Ed course this past weekend, I asked how many had hunted from an elevated stand, about 1/2 raised their hands, I asked how many used a safety harness, 1 or 2 raised their hands, broke my heart. I stressed the importance and the gentleman teaching tree stand safety drove the point home as well. We've had 6 reported falls in Indiana this fall, most recently yesterday or monday.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”