Direction of stand for expected travel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How do you place your stand for expected buck travel direction

Poll ended at Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Side of tree toward buck
44%
Side of tree away from buck
20%
Side of tree quartering buck
36%

Total votes: 25
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Direction of stand for expected travel

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Curious as to how everyone places their stand for a bucks expected travel route. Do you face him so you can see him coming or on the opposite side of the tree to hide better or at quartering angle to maximize flexibility for the shot in case he uses a different trail?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Direction of stand for expected travel

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:20 pm

It depends on the situation. I could use any of the above choices. I want to see him coming from as far as possible while having to make as little if any adjustment for the shot. If there is not enough cover I will use my climber so I can face the tree by sitting on the bar (really hurts my but!). The main thing is that I can see him as soon as possible and still have a good shooting option. That could be straight on, quartering or other various degrees of angle. Ideally I will be facing where he is coming from with his expected travel bringing him past me on my left side since I am a right handed shooter.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:32 pm

Usually not side of tree as I don't want him to skyline me. Either want to use the tree to break up my shape and get a good and shot or look at him. Or break me up by hiding behind the tree. The last is least favorable because you have to move (blind) to see him. You run the risk of getting busted, sitting the backside IMO.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 am

As DS said, put your left shoulder to where the deer will come. (right hand shooter)
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:13 am

I always face to buck with my back to the tree and the shooting to my side when he passes...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:45 am

I voted facing the buck, which is what I do most of the time, but I evaluate each set up, and somtimes chose one of the other options. Back cover, height of stand, predominate wind, etc, help me dicide where to place the stand.
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 am

I face the tree cause I stand 95% of the time and if I see the buck coming I hide and get ready to draw my bow while keeping an eye on the buck then when he gets to where I want to take him I draw behind the tree concealing my movement

[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:01 am

In my opinion the most important ingredient is seeing the buck before he can see you. This gives you the opportunity to make adjustments if the buck doesn't travel as expected (they often don't). If you are facing where the buck is expected to come from you can monitor the bucks awareness as you adjust for the shot. You also will have less hunter movement as you sit and wait for the buck to be seen.

It's all about percentages for me. I want the best possible scenario to give me the best chance at the buck. If you are moving around trying to see you will get busted more often then sitting still. When you see the buck before he sees you this is the best percentage of killing the buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:05 am

It's worked for me I have yet to get busted by a buck

[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 am

Stanley wrote:In my opinion the most important ingredient is seeing the buck before he can see you. This gives you the opportunity to make adjustments if the buck doesn't travel as expected (they often don't). If you are facing where the buck is expected to come from you can monitor the bucks awareness as you adjust for the shot. You also will have less hunter movement as you sit and wait for the buck to be seen.

It's all about percentages for me. I want the best possible scenario to give me the best chance at the buck. If you are moving around trying to see you will get busted more often then sitting still. When you see the buck before he sees you this is the best percentage of killing the buck.

Agree 100%

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:40 am

I generally try to sit somehow facing the direction I anticipate the buck approaching from while having the most expected shot area/deer trail(s) to the front of me or off my left shoulder (right handed shooter) to minimize movement. But like Stanley pointed out they don't always do what you expect them to do so its best to see them first and slowly adjust for shots as necessary
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 am

Whatever is best for each situation.

I really have no preference, besides avoiding a stiff neck, tactically they all have pros/cons.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Hard to choose in the poll because I do every one depending on the situation.

A majority of the time I try to have my right shoulder facing towards the direction I expect the buck to come from (left handed shooter)

If tree cover is minimal I will set up on the far side of the tree and stand the whole time so I can hide myself easier.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:02 am

When I hunt out of my tree saddle I am facing the tree, so I try to have my left shoulder face expected direction of movement - easiest direction to shoot for a right hander.

When I am in a platform stand I actually just place it in the most concealed way depending on cover so there is no typical angle to it. I stand most of the time while in a tree (I used to sit but don't anymore) so to keep my left shoulder toward deer movement sometimes I face the tree, sometimes I face away, whatever is necessary.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:08 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Whatever is best for each situation.

I really have no preference, besides avoiding a stiff neck, tactically they all have pros/cons.

This is huge in a long grinding season. In the long run a comfortable hunter is going to have more staying power. If you have a buck tag the last day of season you still have a chance if your not burned/fatigued, out and hunting halfheartedly.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”