Lake Shore bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Lake Shore bucks

Unread postby briar » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:24 am

I see a lot of information here about marshes and ponds ect..but our ground really doesn't have a lot of those kinds of features. Not many year round wetlands where cattails ect thrive. I do however have a decent size river and a lake it feeds that is Federal land all around it for a flood plain. Its a lot of ground, but its mostly a thin strip all the way around the edge of the lake with some areas that jut out or land that is extra away from the lake.

Anybody find bucks bedding near a lake or lake edge? Do they like land that goes out into the lake like a peninsula? Going this weekend to walk a little and just look...maybe some tips will help me find where to park.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Lake Shore bucks

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 am

briar wrote:I see a lot of information here about marshes and ponds ect..but our ground really doesn't have a lot of those kinds of features. Not many year round wetlands where cattails ect thrive. I do however have a decent size river and a lake it feeds that is Federal land all around it for a flood plain. Its a lot of ground, but its mostly a thin strip all the way around the edge of the lake with some areas that jut out or land that is extra away from the lake.

Anybody find bucks bedding near a lake or lake edge? Do they like land that goes out into the lake like a peninsula? Going this weekend to walk a little and just look...maybe some tips will help me find where to park.

I've looked at a lot of land surrounding reservoirs (Lakes) around here. I never found very good buck bedding in those areas. Sounds like your situation could be different though; worth a walk to see what is there
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:56 am

I hunt near several lakes, they can hold good to great bedding but as usual it depends on the specific area. I don't think you will find many beds out on the points of a lake, bucks could get cornered out there with their only exit to swim and expose themselves. Not that they wouldn't do that if they had to but I dont' think they will choose those locations if there are better spots available. I usually find lake bedding where there is extremely thick cover and a little buffer zone between them and the lake so they can sneak away or circle around any danger if needed. If you are talking a thin strip of swam I don't know if that will be enough, I usually find the beds in larger swamp/wet area next to lakes. Post some pics and we can take a look.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:52 am

headgear wrote:I hunt near several lakes, they can hold good to great bedding but as usual it depends on the specific area. I don't think you will find many beds out on the points of a lake, bucks could get cornered out there with their only exit to swim and expose themselves. Not that they wouldn't do that if they had to but I dont' think they will choose those locations if there are better spots available.[glow=red]I usually find lake bedding where there is extremely thick cover and a little buffer zone between them and the lake so they can sneak away or circle around any danger if needed.[/glow] If you are talking a thin strip of swam I don't know if that will be enough, I usually find the beds in larger swamp/wet area next to lakes. Post some pics and we can take a look.

Nail on head FWIW. But I have noticed they do prefer to bail out the back door through the water (these are smaller ponds/sloughs though, not large lakes)to quickly put that barrier between you and them, but the brush prevents you from having clear view of them while they are exposed, if that makes sense...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 pm

I concur, how wide of a "fringe' are you talking?
I used to see nice deer and lots of deer duck hunting in cattail patches.
We hunt the cattails for pheasants around a large reservoir in North Dakota, every year we bump a couple nice bucks.. But there is very little cover in the area, no woodlots,,mostly rolling prairie and ag land.
One of my best spots is a two acre cattail "Fringe" off the side of a boat launch with a tiny two tree island in the middle..Lake on one side, two lane highway on the other..but there is a lot of AG land and pressure within 1/4 mile.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:18 am

Can anyone tell me how to post a map? I can get the photo off our DNR website but don't know how to bring it to here? Thanks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:18 am

Can anyone tell me how to post a map? I can get the photo off our DNR website but don't know how to bring it to here? Thanks

Try this link:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5754
or this one:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10695
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:18 am

I think your the only one that can accurately answer your own question. Regardless of the terrain, the same rules apply. You need to do the leg work, and probably lots of it. Scout, scout, scout! Maps can give you good starting point, but you never can know for sure until you check out every last inch of the land. I would start now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”