Licking branch design, with a rope?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Re: Licking branch design, with a rope?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:39 am

Ya, I think it does say that in part two....I just thought this might be a good technique to try near your treestand, just to get the buck to stop, to get a good shot at him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 am

That's interesting. I hang a camera over a primary scrape to get an inventory of what deer are around - generally along a field edge well away from where I hunt.

I am not surprised that the Wensels got a bunch of does checking out the ropes in the summer, I have noticed does use licking branches just as much as bucks through early October.

I have seen bucks use all sorts of weird stuff as licking branches. Everyone who is thinking about doing this should read part 2 of the Wensel article, it gives some tips on making the "licking branch" more effective.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:22 am

When I worked at Cabelas last summer, there was a sales rep for a certain trail cam, that had alot of pics of nice bucks and one thing I noticed was there was a rope hanging down on all of them. When I asked him about it he said "good observation", but would not go into detail about what he was doing. It's got to be something along the lines of this post.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 am

I was hired to scout a property last spring and the guy had a lot of these rope scrapes up, and told me he had been told to put them up by a certain well know michigan hunting/property consultant. He said he had to sign a contract that did not allow him to discuss details of the rope scrapes.... All of his seemed active, but he had a very high deer population.
I also noticed that all his ropes had a large not on the hanging end.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:58 am

dan wrote:I was hired to scout a property last spring and the guy had a lot of these rope scrapes up, and told me he had been told to put them up by a certain well know michigan hunting/property consultant. He said he had to sign a contract that did not allow him to discuss details of the rope scrapes.... All of his seemed active, but he had a very high deer population.
[glow=red]I also noticed that all his ropes had a large not on the hanging end[/glow].

I'm not positive, but I think some guys do that so the rope doesn't just unravel itself. I guess some also put a zip tie up about one inch from the bottom.....
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:29 pm

always creative on the beast...
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:33 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
gjs4 wrote:yes it works...the keys are the location, height and the bare ground....no scent needs to be added.

I was wondering about the height thing also. How high off the ground is a good height, 4 ft? and when you say bare ground, are you saying that you make a mock scrape & rake the ground down to bare ground?

Yes on both

I laugh at all the scent comments here (below).....some people just dont get it or have too much money
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:34 pm

dan wrote:I was hired to scout a property last spring and the guy had a lot of these rope scrapes up, and told me he had been told to put them up by a certain well know michigan hunting/property consultant. He said he had to sign a contract that did not allow him to discuss details of the rope scrapes.... All of his seemed active, but he had a very high deer population.
I also noticed that all his ropes had a large not on the hanging end.

Odd- went there too- knots werent part of it, actually stated the contrary
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:59 am

I got to see some of these rope setups last spring while I was at Barry's place. Pretty cool. Seems like a great way to gather pictures of bucks. Probably the biggest value during hunting season is the ability to get a shot at a relaxed buck that is distracted by the rope/scent. To me, stoping deer naturally is the biggest advantage of scent. I constantly do it during the rut. Works best if you have a preset location. Make a BIG mock scrape right where you want the deer to stop for a shot. Nearly every buck that comes through will stop right where you want. I even do this in new locations that I've never hunted. For example, this past season I went in to a new area with a stand on my back. The area had been previously scouted last spring and I had a tree picked out. It was a natural funnel near a known bedding area. Before climbing my tree, I picked up a stout branch about 6 feet long and made a scrape about 4 foot in diameter. Then I literally peed in it from as far away as I could to minimize ground scent. You know. The "distance pee" trick. That evening a 150 inch 5x5 came out of the bedding area and walked right where I wanted him too. When he got to the scrape I had made just 3 hours earlier he stopped and gave me a perfect broadside shot. Unfortunately in an unbelievable stroke of bad luck I did not get good arrow flight or good penetration and I did not recover him. I probably clipped a limb or something. He's still alive. I got a trail camera picture of him 5 days later with a visible wound on his side. I also saw him again about a month ago. So the buck got away but the plan worked. I don't use mock scrapes or scents to try to attract deer. But they work great for making a lone buck stop right where you want him. I imagine the ropes can do the same thing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:42 am

I have never tried the rope method but i do have a spot that has an active year round scrape and there is a vine hanging down which would be similar to a rope i guess. The deer absoloutely love this thing here are the pics i got last time i checked my cam a few weeks ago.

I have put a ton of scent on this vine over the past two years and the one i use is James valley Lethal Weapon. Its like blended up gel like mixture. I just open the jar and dip the vine in so i don't leave any scent on the vine. Seems to work well for me. Might be a better "more natural" idea to try and cut a vine from somewhere and tie it up instead of a man made rope.

John

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”