Suburban bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Suburban bucks

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 am

Any special consideration while hunting these bucks or are they the same?

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Re: Suburban bucks

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 am

Good question. I hunt a 10 acre parcel right smack dab in the middle of town. Houses are everywhere around this parcel, which is city owned, so no problems there. This is a highly used side road - vehicles going by and kids standing out waiting for the bus. From my experience, the deer there are more resilient to humans. In one instance, I had 3 doe on a small ridge next to me, that circled directly behind me and came from behind me to my right. Now the tree that I was in had a small hill next to me, and the oldest of doe came right next to me less that 10ft! We were eye to eye, she looked right at me! Never blew nor seemed startled. I also in another hunt had a nice 6 pointer come within 15 yards of me browsing on the same hill, feeding foliage and never seemed startled. So with her exposure to humans, I think city deer in some ways, are used to humans being around in the area. The trick however, is getting in early before everyone gets up for work to sneak in and get setup well before sunrise. I used a red lens to cut down on brightness of the flashlight just in case. I hope this helps out.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:02 am

One major setback with Suburban bucks for me was that most of the properties were relatively small and there was a lot of areas posted no hunting, or illegal to hunt and the mature bucks would just stay away from the pressured areas till dark outside of the rut.
If your the only one hunting the land you can combat it by not over hunting it and training the big bucks to stay away.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:38 am

Bedding tendencies still the same?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:03 pm

DropTyne wrote:Bedding tendencies still the same?

Kind of... They have to deal with what they are given.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:05 pm

dan wrote:
DropTyne wrote:Bedding tendencies still the same?

Kind of... They have to deal with what they are given.

There is small tracts everywhere around this parcel that I'm hunting. So, from what I gathered via topo maps and just scouting, they were bouncing from parcel to parcel. The acreage ranges from 5-1500. So, it was somewhat a challenge to locate bedding areas, but the adjacent property had a huge ridge that ran nearly .5 mile or more that overlooked a 100+ field. After scouting, we were able to locate numerous beds along the 1/3 of the ridge, like Dan stated.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:53 pm

another one of my struggles would be the small properties I had permission on would only have one bedding area, or worse, none. Limiting how much pressure or hunting I could put on the property.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:44 am

If I hunted the strips of timber that run between the houses in my neighborhood, I could arrow a 3.5+ year old buck nearly every year. The bucks are actually allowed to age in such an environment. I arrowed a 3.5 year old buck last year, my best to date, sitting in my and listen to this.....(.25) acre backyard by the creek!

When I get older maybe I will ask around to try to gain spots in the suburbs. These days I am having too much fun trying to hunt down bucks in the big woods on public land. I thrive on the challenge. It has forced me to become a much better hunter in order to have a fighting chance to kill a better buck.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:39 am

Well yeah their the same, they eat, sleep and bump uglies...

They certainly have to put up with a tolerable amount of human interaction, as they have no choice. Unlike humans, we can rent a U-Haul truck and move to the country, or vise-versa, just like the Beaverly Hilbillies :roll:

My experience is that I could fill all my tags with 1 1/2 year old bucks or less than wary Doe's and fawns. The challange is to find AND connect on 3 1/2 year old Bucks OR Educated Old Doe's, not so simple... They tend to be very nocturnal until rut. Swamps and nasty thick stuff help keep these keen (older) deer breathin:)

Most of the homeowners feel the deer are pets, so ninja skill is required to find an access point and it may not be a very good access point, which can lead to trial and ERROR. I have been very fortunate to have had continual help from a family of 5 brothers that are very successful in back yard bucks! I attribute, what I call, my recent few years of success to two of the brothers in this family. The biggest hurdle I find is finding knowledgable AND successful hunters in my area of New England. No crops / fields / other attractants or large deer populations like the rest of the country... just good old fashion R&D
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”