Jumping the string

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Jumping the string

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:03 am

I don't have alot of deer under my belt bowhunting, but the few I have shot, have never jumped the string on me, but I hear hunters talking about this happening to them... Have you guys ever had a deer jump the string, and if so, was it a long shot, where they have time to do it, or can they jump it from say, 20 yards ? I'm guessing most deer jump the string if they have been stopped by us the hunter, and are now on alert to some degree ?

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: Jumping the string

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:08 am

THe deer i shot this year jumped the string. It was a 35 yard shot and i purposely did not stop him because i didn't not want to make him alert. He still heard my bow go off and dropped down a bit and then i hit him in the spine
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:34 am

I also spined my deer for the same reason - although I stopped him mid-trot. Nothing worse than that... You been there, you know what I mean.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:44 am

They drop right before they take off. Deer on high alert have a very good chance of ducking the arrow anything more than 20 yards. When a deer is on high alert at that range, I aim for the heart. That way if they do drop, I still get a good hit. I wouldnt worry about it if they have no clue you are there, unless your bow of course sounds like a .22 going off. :lol:
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 am

happened to me last season. Had two does standing together in the corn field. The bigger doe was standing closest to me, I shot and she ducked and the smaller one jumped up. I hit the smaller one in the leg and lost blood. ugh! I hate that.....
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:27 am

Happened to me a couple of times. Always when they were on alert.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:34 am

Speed of Sound = 1126 feet per second
Speed of Arrow = 320 feet per second

Speed of Sound is a full 3.5 times faster than an arrow.

On a 30 yard shot here are the times the sound and arrow will reach deer

Sound = .08 seconds
Arrow = .28 secons Plenty of time between them for a deer to jump the string
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:40 am

I watched a video clip once where a guy was standing on the back side of a barn,holding a paper plate stapled to a wooden lathe or stick.On the other side of barn was a guy with a bow aiming at the paperplate,from I think 20 yards away. The man holding the plate was suppose to react by pulling away the plate only by the sound of the bow firing.He managed to pull away fast enuf to escape the arrow everytime.And I,m sure a deer on aleert would even have a faster reaction time.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Contrary to what most hunters think most string jumping occurs at closer ranges as opposed to longer shots. This makes sense if you really think about it. The closer you are the easier to hear the shot.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Last year I heard of two different hunters getting a shot at a buck that was 180"+ in the same area they both got shots at 12-15 yards and both times the buck jumped the string and ducked the arrow totally unharmed.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:55 pm

I've heard alot about this, but have never had this happen to me.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Aim low....

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:47 am

I had a 140ish 3 year old 8 pointer come by close to 40 yards out ( long time ago, but it sticks in my head ) I thought I could make the shot so I drew the bow back and he caught the movement and looked in my direction. I shot. My arrow flew perfect where I was aiming, but he dropped and ducked the arrow completely then just rose back up and stared at me in the same position. I chose not to shoot again.
Most the time the "duck" is them actually dropping to run... But they can actually duck an arrow... This was way back in the days of slower aluminum arrows though...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:12 am

I have seen deer jump the string before, yet for some reason I always seem to still kill them...:) The one thing I see more is when a deer slightly ducks yet turns on a dime in a split second. That has caused me to single lung/liver shoot deer. That fact alone has caused me to adjust my aiming point on a deer more toward the front shoulder. So if a deer does the string duck/pivot I have a greater chance of producing a better shot.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:35 am

We used to video years ago. Late bow season we would bait and film just to fill our tags. We have footage of deer ducking at least 4" at 20 yards.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”