Scouting Pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbay
500 Club

Scouting Pressure

Unread postby cbay » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:09 am

In the process of learning a piece of ground, scouting, finding the beds, getting some stand sites prepped, etc., i can see how this could educate a resident buck to the point it would be hard to hunt him.
Let's say you got a public place; heavy pressure during rifle, some bow pressure throughout season, and you start scouting after season. So you go looking for the beds a couple times. Then you find them and go back a couple more times to check the area some more. And then go in and trim some lanes, check different winds, work on access routes, and do some more scouting.
If you do all this from the end of season to around march or april and have a half dozen or more times in the bedding area do you think this will make things difficult next season?
I could see how resident bucks could have you pegged pretty good and make them hard to kill next season or even move them out of the area for a long time.
Would love to hear some discussion on this. Any experiences related to scouting pressure would be great. And how much scouting activity do you put on a bucks area to get ready for next season? When is the latest you do all the scouting / prep work? Any cool down periods before going back?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
headgear
500 Club

Re: Scouting Pressure

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:45 am

I would say if you are going to scout an area more than once try and do all your damage in the same week or two and let the area rest as long as possible. I try to get all my scouting done right away after the season closes before the snow gets too deep, then hit it hard in the spring. After that I stay out of the woods until just before opener (can't really glass in the bigwoods so I don't scout in the summer). I'm not scouting bedding just before opener but trying to locate a buck to hunt and keeping the pressure away from any areas I would hunt.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:59 am

I'm far from a pro...but I agree...get in..locate the bed...locate stand locations...do what needs done..stay out till you are ready to kill him...

That's where distant scout/observing comes into play... If you wanna keep tabs on the bed...find the nearest crops and shine at night if legal...glass late summer evenings..

Keep pressuring the area and he is prone to not tolerating that and finding another bedding area....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:10 am

Bucks get bumped from there beds quite a bit... Coyotes, wolves, dogs, small game hunters, shed antler hunters, hikers, and other deer hunters.
All buck bedding area invasions do some damage, but once a year months from hunting season do the least... Some bucks tolerate it more than others too... And certain terrains and areas the bucks are not even in there fall bedding areas right now.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Something I started doing is carrying a backpack with a pruner, saw, and steps to get up the tree. That way when I'm out scouting and find a good spot and tree I want to hunt I can prep the tree then and don't have to make any special trips out to do so. Then I'll take pictures of the tree, bed, make some notes about the spot and anything that would be of importance come hunting season

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm

If I can't break it with my hands I probably shouldn't be trimming it on public land. That is the way I look at it. Not judging anyone else, I have done it in the past, but I just don't want to carry extra saws and crap with me...

When I find a bed or bedding area I want to hunt in the future I gather all necessary info on the spot. 99% of the time, the next time I return is to draw blood. For the very reason you brought up, constant harassment is not a good thing on sacred ground.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”