Multiple sits at the same spot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Multiple sits at the same spot

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:49 am

I scout for sign all season long whenever I can get out. I try to avoid going near potential setups though at any point in the season, keeping a couple hundred yard buffer depending on circumstances from where I think I want to hunt.

I do think hunting a spot has a lot bigger impact than just scouting though. When you are sitting in a spot for hours your scent is drifting down onto every surface downwind of you and I think a deer passing through a day or two afterward can detect that a human was in the area for a long period of time, not just walking through. That's my theory anyway.

By the way...in the year and a half since I started this thread I have been fortunate to arrow two more mature bucks....both in first time hunts.

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:12 am

mheichelbech wrote:How much damage does just walking through an area checking sign cause?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

It would be no different than if you were hunting... or checking cams. If youre in there, youre laying down scent regardless. Hence why Dan and many others preach to scout with the stand on your back so you can setup if you do find fresh hot sign.

Of course, i think this all depends on where youre checking for sign... on the edge of a field? Or right next to good buck or doe bedding? Obviously one is more intrusive to deer than the other.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:14 am

JoeRE wrote:I scout for sign all season long whenever I can get out. I try to avoid going near potential setups though at any point in the season, keeping a couple hundred yard buffer depending on circumstances from where I think I want to hunt.

I do think hunting a spot has a lot bigger impact than just scouting though. When you are sitting in a spot for hours your scent is drifting down onto every surface downwind of you and I think a deer passing through a day or two afterward can detect that a human was in the area for a long period of time, not just walking through. That's my theory anyway.

By the way...in the year and a half since I started this thread I have been fortunate to arrow two more mature bucks....both in first time hunts.

Good point by staying away from potential setups joe. In season scouting is a GREAT way to get on a big buck... if you do it right

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:13 am

Bump
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:22 am

This is ahuge deal...1 yr. old beast here. Last year I concentrated on in, setup, and exits...this year consistently moving. I dont learn (have a hard head :lol: ) unless I experience something, it doesn't matter how many times I'm told. Also, being mobile teaches me to bring only bare essentials. Deer encounters have went way up. I keep trying new things and I keep getting closer...may never be a Beast but use the tactics to make me better...Right now its getting tough to get a day above 32, so its not only hard to hunt, but to be looking forward to pack up...but I only will sit a second time if I get a notion
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:59 am

Tomorrow I’m going back to do an all day hunt where I wounded my buck on Friday. I only sat there for two hours and I know it’s an excellent rut cruising spot. Best part is is overlooked by everyone else because they all gravitate towards the easy to get to hardwood ridges. It’s rained quite a bit a few times since Friday so I think it should be fairly fresh yet and good for another sit. Maybe I can even get a second chance on him or at the very least see him again to confirm he’s OK. It sure would be nice to have some closure on that. It’s easy to say move on but reality is that pain is always there.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:55 am

headgear wrote:The friend who helped me drag out my buck this year seemed to be confused why it was late Oct and that was only the 2nd time I hunted that spot last season. The simple answer I gave him was if I hunted it more the buck would not have been there. It flew right over his head and I am ok with that, if all public land hunters thought like us my hunting situation would be that much harder.

Like^^^^^
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 am

Good thread to be added to the "all time best tactics page"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”