What Benefits Deer More?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

What Benefits Deer More?

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 am

Which of these two options will benefit the deer you hunt more.

Planting a 1/2 of an acre food plot, OR

Killing 1 coyote........ :?: :?: :?:

What do you think???

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: What Benefits Deer More?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:01 am

Food plot. I don't think one coyote is going to do much.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:10 am

I think yotes do a lot more damage than you think. This is a pic taken locally by a friend of mine. Ironically, this pic was taken in a foodplot.

Last edited by Spysar on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:15 am

In one of the areas I hunt I would say killing a coyote. They are really bad in this particular area. I have found several deer that have been killed by them. Mainly small deer. I have shot two bucks and left them over night only to come back and find them ate up the following morning. I see several during the season when I hunt this area and have killed a few with my bow too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:28 am

I hunt some areas with high populations of coyotes. I have never noticed a lot of carnage from the yotes. They do get some of the sick and wounded animals. The deer herds seams to flourish in the high coyote populations. You would think they would take a toll on fawns, doesn't seam to be the case. I think they feed on mice, rabbits, turkeys and rodents as much as anything. I have watched them stalk deer but never seen them take one down.

The one farm I hunt has huge populations of mice and yotes. I have seen them chase squirrels also. I'll stick any yote that comes by the stand though. I would say the food plot may benefit deer more than killing one yote.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 am

One coyote wouldn't even dent the population here... Food plot
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:40 am

Stanley wrote:I hunt some areas with high populations of coyotes. I have never noticed a lot of carnage from the yotes. They do get some of the sick and wounded animals. The deer herds seams to flourish in the high coyote populations. You would think they would take a toll on fawns, doesn't seam to be the case. I think they feed on mice, rabbits, turkeys and rodents as much as anything. I have watched them stalk deer but never seen them take one down.

The one farm I hunt has huge populations of mice and yotes. I have seen them chase squirrels also. I'll stick any yote that comes by the stand though. I would say the food plot may benefit deer more than killing one yote.

I completely agree with Stanley.

Can't say I ever heard of coyotes killing healthy deer around here. Only sick or wounded animals that would not survive anyway. If you are talking about killing a wolf then it would be a totally different story. They are deer killing machines and show no mercy.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:43 am

I shot a deer this year, right at last light. I decided to come get it in the morning. When I got to it, the leg bones were 50 yards from the carcass. There was no skin only hair, no guts , every entire piece of meat on it was gone. I mean nothing left. How many coyotes do you think it takes to do that in one night?

I think quite a few fawns get pulled into dens, never to be seen again. While the fawns are real small, and the dogs are feeding pups.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:45 am

Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:I hunt some areas with high populations of coyotes. I have never noticed a lot of carnage from the yotes. They do get some of the sick and wounded animals. The deer herds seams to flourish in the high coyote populations. You would think they would take a toll on fawns, doesn't seam to be the case. I think they feed on mice, rabbits, turkeys and rodents as much as anything. I have watched them stalk deer but never seen them take one down.

Can't say I ever heard of coyotes killing healthy deer around here. Only sick or wounded animals that would not survive anyway. If you are talking about killing a wolf then it would be a totally different story. They are deer killing machines and show no mercy.

What about that pic I posted?? They look like they're attacking a healthy deer there....
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:48 am

Spysar wrote:
Dewey wrote:

What about that pic I posted?? They look like they're attacking a healthy deer there....

Looks like a very young deer and how do you know it's healthy? May be wounded or sick. :think:

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 am

Around here it's kill a hog. If you plant a plot the hogs will
just root it up. Kill a hog so the deer have more food!!!!

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:01 pm

dan wrote:One coyote wouldn't even dent the population here... Food plot

agreed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:02 pm

Yotes are great scavengers that is for sure. Leaving a deer lay overnight in Yote country is a recipe for bone soup. I have lost a few myself. That said I just don't see much evidence of mature deer being taken by yotes. There would be carcases laying everywhere if that were the case. I'm sure like in your picture it happens but not very often. Hunters over killing does is a much bigger issue than yotes.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Definitely a food plot. When I used to trap I remember reading that you needed to take out 90%+ of a local coyote population to have less the next year. Meaning if you had 10 and killed 8 or less you would still have 10 next year. I do believe coyote hurt deer population though. The best time to kill a coyote is fawning season, they are on feeding frenzy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:04 pm

I don't think they take mature healthy deer either. I say they are doing the damage at birthing season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”