2013 SEASON BIG BUCK ENCOUNTERS...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: 2013 SEASON BIG BUCK ENCOUNTERS...

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:34 am

Second big buck (I think) was the day after I wounded the nice one in the evening after I gave up the tracking. I had been seeing a high racked 8 point 3 year old hanging out well before dark in a cut corn field. I setup in a tree I killed a good buck in the year before for the same reasons, big bucks in the field with does in daylight. I seldom ever hunt field edges and we all know why, but this was the exception. I was 10 yards off the field and could shoot 40 yards up the slight hill to the middle ridge behind me, I saw the buck I wanted but he wouldn't come down the field to me. I grunted a few times and put the call away. I heard a buck behind me grunting and making horrible noises like a dirt bike, he was walking around and grunting like crazy. I could tell he was within bow range but I couldn't see him. He started coming in and I dropped my can call you which made a clunk noise. He stopped and didn't move a foot for 10-15 minutes, and then ever so slowly started coming in. By now I'm down to the last minute or two of shooting hours, I could tell he was right on me but couldnt see him. Finally he stopped behind a cedar tree at 5 yards with no shot, all I saw was a huge body and it was black as tar. He stopped and looked for a few minutes, and then turned and walked back up the hill and got away. Had I been 15 yards back I would have owned him. Lesson is just because you killed a deer out of a spot does not mean it can't be improved on, and obviously dropping the can call cost me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: 2013 SEASON BIG BUCK ENCOUNTERS...

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 am

Brad wrote:Second big buck (I think) was the day after I wounded the nice one in the evening after I gave up the tracking. I had been seeing a high racked 8 point 3 year old hanging out well before dark in a cut corn field. I setup in a tree I killed a good buck in the year before for the same reasons, big bucks in the field with does in daylight. I seldom ever hunt field edges and we all know why, but this was the exception. I was 10 yards off the field and could shoot 40 yards up the slight hill to the middle ridge behind me, I saw the buck I wanted but he wouldn't come down the field to me. I grunted a few times and put the call away. I heard a buck behind me grunting and making horrible noises like a dirt bike, he was walking around and grunting like crazy. I could tell he was within bow range but I couldn't see him. He started coming in and I dropped my can call you which made a clunk noise. He stopped and didn't move a foot for 10-15 minutes, and then ever so slowly started coming in. By now I'm down to the last minute or two of shooting hours, I could tell he was right on me but couldnt see him. Finally he stopped behind a cedar tree at 5 yards with no shot, all I saw was a huge body and it was black as tar. He stopped and looked for a few minutes, and then turned and walked back up the hill and got away. Had I been 15 yards back I would have owned him. Lesson is just because you killed a deer out of a spot does not mean it can't be improved on, and obviously dropping the can call cost me.

I'm a big fan of horrible noises. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”