The Johnny King buck ( story from Jay Fish)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmahunter
500 Club

Re: The Johnny King buck ( story from Jay Fish)

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:14 am

I am sure many other deer never get scored. Who knows there could be a bigger deer already taken that know one knows about.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:47 am

No matter what side you are on this whole story is kind of sad, just have to roll your eyes at these clubs and antler collectors drawing lines in the sand. Feel pretty bad for Mr King and the buck, what a fiasco!

Would be funny to see the next "world record" holder not enter their buck. No doubt it wouldn't be "official" but I have to think hunters in general think differently of B&C after everything that has happened.
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:49 am

/\ /\ /\ Isn't that the truth.

It's a private organization and can pretty much do as they see fit, but B&C has lost a lot of credibility in the eyes of many enthusiasts over the way this deer was handled.

The last panel scoring was a dog and pony show, IMO.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:02 am

wmahunter wrote:I am sure many other deer never get scored. Who knows there could be a bigger deer already taken that know one knows about.

I agree with this statement

I know a guy in western wisconisn who is our neboir and hes got some slobs on his wall ....he don't tell no one and don't get them scored he even takes it to the extreme in mounting his own deer he is a retired taxidermist :lol: hes got over 400 acres of prime land he only hunts he takes a huge buck every year out of there and could quiet possibly be were my gun buck came from this past season.... some of his deer go over 200 for sure. im often in his house and when company is over and wants to take pics hes get real mad real fast :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:21 am

BigHunt wrote:
wmahunter wrote:I am sure many other deer never get scored. Who knows there could be a bigger deer already taken that know one knows about.

[glow=red]I know a guy in western wisconisn who is our neboir and hes got some slobs on his wall[/glow] ....he don't tell no one and don't get them scored he even takes it to the extreme in mounting his own deer he is a retired taxidermist :lol: hes got over 400 acres of prime land he only hunts he takes a huge buck every year out of there and could quiet possibly be were my gun buck came from this past season....[glow=red]some of his deer go over 200 for sure.[/glow] im often in his house and when company is over and wants to take pics hes get real mad real fast :lol:

Sounds like he has a "good spot".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

[glow=red]I know a guy in western wisconisn who is our neboir and hes got some slobs on his wall[/glow] ....he don't tell no one and don't get them scored he even takes it to the extreme in mounting his own deer he is a retired taxidermist :lol: hes got over 400 acres of prime land he only hunts he takes a huge buck every year out of there and could quiet possibly be were my gun buck came from this past season....[glow=red]some of his deer go over 200 for sure.[/glow] im often in his house and when company is over and wants to take pics hes get real mad real fast :lol:

Sounds like he has a "good spot".

the whole area is a good spot a lot of famers don't hunt in the area and there are many sanctuary's. you hear all the talk down at the tavern. " o I seen spits agin tonight out in my back yard chasing does" they feed the deer in the winter so finding sheds is impossible on my land. they also have food plots to keep them around. im allowed to turkey hunt some of these farms and let me tell you walking around I drool at some of the buck bedding areas that are just BEAT to the ground . some of trees are shredded away year after year from rubbing. some of the farmers are my friends and I try telling them they an kill those bucks they just laugh at me ....well you'll get that from old timers they been there done that sort of thing :roll: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:20 am

The NBBC calls the King buck their World Record. Here's the final scores at the end of this article. Ironically, the NBBC's net score (they use gross in their book) wouldn't have beat the Hanson buck anyway......I believe the Hanson buck went 213 5/8, and the King buck (as scored by an NBBC panel, a big panel) nets 213 3/8.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/artic ... -king-buck
Last edited by Spysar on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:25 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Hey Spy,
I had a conversation w/ my best friends Mom and Ron is her cousin - small world, I thought it was ironic...

All I know, is me , Edcyclopdia, and Exojam, held the rack and heard the story from probably the most famous scorer in North America! I am convinced that this is a typical rack. Yeah, it has a small point, so what? It still is in a typical spot. Everything about it is typical, with the exception that it's small.

Oh, I'm the handsome one in the bottom pic. :lol:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 pm

I still maintain nets are for fish :lol: The Damery buck grosses higher than the King buck or the Hansen buck...as do a couple others I think.

Frankly the whole affair is pretty sad. Its a beautiful deer. My take-away from reading through what Jay Fish wrote is he sounds excessively whiny. My advise to him is talk less and hunt more lol.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:32 am

On a side note, isn't it crazy that both the King buck and the Hanson buck were shot on deer drives and that both were shot in the antler? Not my place to judge the hunting style but its crazy to me how these big bucks are so good at surviving that the only thing that seems to put them at risk is a bunch of guns pushing out a wood lot. Since both were hit in the antler it shows that they could have just as easily have been missed or wounded and maybe never seen again.

Not to knock their accomplishment because they killed the buck but it just makes me appreciate Mel Johnson's record that much more. It also draws me to the beast style of hunting- not relying on luck but putting in work and reaping the benefits.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:18 pm

binney59 wrote:On a side note, isn't it crazy that both the King buck and the Hanson buck were shot on deer drives and that both were shot in the antler? Not my place to judge the hunting style but its crazy to me how these big bucks are so good at surviving that the only thing that seems to put them at risk is a bunch of guns pushing out a wood lot. Since both were hit in the antler it shows that they could have just as easily have been missed or wounded and maybe never seen again.

Not to knock their accomplishment because they killed the buck but it just makes me appreciate Mel Johnson's record that much more. It also draws me to the beast style of hunting- not relying on luck but putting in work and reaping the benefits.

That's a great point. Not just those two bucks....a very large proportion of world class deer get shot in drives or just by guys walking around in the woods, or by noobies who are not supposed to know what they are doing.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:09 am

JoeRE wrote:
binney59 wrote:On a side note, isn't it crazy that both the King buck and the Hanson buck were shot on deer drives and that both were shot in the antler? Not my place to judge the hunting style but its crazy to me how these big bucks are so good at surviving that the only thing that seems to put them at risk is a bunch of guns pushing out a wood lot. Since both were hit in the antler it shows that they could have just as easily have been missed or wounded and maybe never seen again.

That's a great point. Not just those two bucks....a very large proportion of world class deer get shot in drives or just by guys walking around in the woods, or by noobies who are not supposed to know what they are doing.

The biggest buck in our hunting group ever shot, was on a drive... but now for the last 10 years, nobody wants to make drives anymore, everyone just sits all day, and we don't see near the big bucks that we use to...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:31 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
JoeRE wrote:

The biggest buck in our hunting group ever shot, was on a drive... but now for the last 10 years, nobody wants to make drives anymore, everyone just sits all day, and we don't see near the big bucks that we use to...

My 2013 gun buck ( biggest) was pushed to me by another hunter on the neboir s land ..unknowingly to us they just got done doing a drive when one of the drivers walked back to truck , he walked through a standing corn feild and kicked him out to our land...amazing the buxk reeked liked corn..so I would imagine he spent a lot of his time there during season

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:20 am

headgear wrote:No matter what side you are on this whole story is kind of sad, just have to roll your eyes at these clubs and antler collectors drawing lines in the sand. Feel pretty bad for Mr King and the buck, what a fiasco!

Would be funny to see the next "world record" holder not enter their buck. No doubt it wouldn't be "official" but I have to think hunters in general think differently of B&C after everything that has happened.

X2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:33 am

headgear wrote:No matter what side you are on this whole story is kind of sad, just have to roll your eyes at these clubs and antler collectors drawing lines in the sand. Feel pretty bad for Mr King and the buck, [glow=red]what a fiasco[/glow]!

Would be funny to see the next "world record" holder not enter their buck. No doubt it wouldn't be "official" but I have to think [glow=red]hunters in general think differently of B&C after everything that has happened.[/glow]

x2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”