Any Regrets?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lewis1303

Any Regrets?

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Does anyone have any regrets in their hunting career in regards to looking back and thinking they could have done things differently with spending time with family? Did that ever bring up tension within the family? I was recently blessed with my first son this past October and coming up on 2 years of being married. Before that, there were no restrictions on hunting. My personal regret is that I wish i knew hunting beast tactics during all my single years. Now, time is very valuable. I would have done so much more scouting. For you with kids grown up now, do you have any regrets looking back? Did you neglect your kids for hunting? What would you change if you could do it all over again?

"Back in the old days if a man shot a deer he was considered a good hunter. Today if he shoots a deer it is said he has a good deer blind." Some unknown old time Yooper!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Any Regrets?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:21 pm

I wish I knew what I know now back when I had the time. Doesn't everyone?

I think most hardcore hunters with a family struggle with this balance. I don't have any regrets. Family is always a factor in my decisions and I make my decisions for a reason. Family first is a good rule of thumb and is my general rule.

Most hunters rightfully gauge their success based on a kill. However, the time commitment for mature buck hunting is significantly higher than typical deer hunting. Its easy to feel regret when mature buck hunting when your time doesn't translate to success. If you find joy in the passion of the chase, you have no worries. The passion of the chase defines me as a hunter.
Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Don't ever put hunting ahead of family. It will cause issues if you do. I love killing big bucks as much as anyone but would rather be remembered as a great father and husband than a great hunter. Bass is right that all hardcore hunters struggle at first to find balance with this issue. Just remember the kids grow up way to fast!

My kids are 15 and 12 and I hunt less now because I want to be there for them and their Mom. I now try to hunt smarter not just hunt a bunch. I have zero regrets because I never missed a truly important family event to hunt. Best part is my oldest loves to hunt now too.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Unfortunately I have quite a few regrets. Some would fall under deep regrets. All I will say is be careful how high up you put hunting on your priority list. Regrets really stink.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:54 am

I am venturing into this territory myself, my wife is ready for kids...I would say I am ready as well, just hurts to think about fishing and hunting times being less and less
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:10 am

I wish I would have found Dan earlier. These techniques really bring it all together!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:07 am

yes, should not have hunted years with people who were always hunting in the wrong place. Once I broke away from them to hunt on my own and harvesting deer, they started following me.

:lol: :lol:

then they would never move to another place and I would shift around to other places.
Lewis1303

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:13 am

[quote="wmahunter"]yes, should not have hunted years with people who were always hunting in the wrong place. Once I broke away from them to hunt on my own and harvesting deer, they started following me.

I'm experiencing that right now. Not quite sure if I'm being followed yet, but their is great interest in knowing where i'm killing deer and stand locations from those i used to hunt with.
"Back in the old days if a man shot a deer he was considered a good hunter. Today if he shoots a deer it is said he has a good deer blind." Some unknown old time Yooper!
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:24 pm

we just had my daughter,our first, and I am interested to hear the veterans speak on this topic...right now I am planning next season knowing I will hunt much less...going to hunt smarter but still need to the hone my skills! Faith family work hunting in that order for me

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:57 pm

Family is first. But what works for me is laying it out their when you'd like to hunt well before the season mark something up. Aim high for amount and then compromise. Family agrees to it. Then you hunt rain or shine dark to dark. Make the most out of it and bring them something back. Even if its just alittle rock you find. I brought back some gigantic burr oak leaves to my daughter loved them. Typically your family will want you to be sucessful at something your passionate about.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Thinking back I wouldn't change much.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 pm

There are some great thoughts shared here from experience. I don't think you will have near the regrets choosing family over deer hunting.
Learning to balance the two is tough but totally worth it, so hunt smarter.

I now have 2 little girls that get excited about hunting and want to go with me and love the woods. I wouldn't trade that for any big buck!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lewis1303

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:33 am

Maybe I should be more specific by asking or considering these questions, What will your wife say looking back? What will your grown up children say about Dad and his hunting besides "he loved to hunt and was never around". Will they say "dad missed out on certain events in your life because he was pursuing the big buck?" Will your grown up children be a reflection of your negligence or of your sacrifice of being there for them when you could have been hunting? Will they say there was a good balance? I know my father makes mention that he would do things differently and not been gone so much hunting while we were little. I personally don't have any recollection of my dad not being there when i needed him. I know my mother would say he was gone when she needed him. I will say he did include me more and more in the outdoors as I neared the legal age to hunt and I'm so thankful for that! Thank you for all your honest input. It's a humbling thing to say I screwed up, but I believe it's even more prideful to say I did it perfectly. I know I'm going to struggle with these situations as my family grows. The expression "we reap what we sow" is so true in every aspect in life. I hope I won't be that person 20 years from now complaining about my kids or wife because of this, that ,or the other thing which was beyond my control without considering my role throughout those years. I appreciate all the advice!
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:54 am

In the past 8 seasons I've hunted between 7-11 afternoons during the rut per year and that has pretty much been all the hunting I've done. In addition I've had to limit my hunting to near by public land that has been as highly pressured as it gets. I've only taken one buck in the last 4 years. I put my family first, but I'm not going to lie to you it has been extremely painful to do so. Now I am 53 and I hope to get back to it. But I'm not in the shape that I used to be in and I don't quite have the vigor. But I'm going to try. And I will do so without any regrets. FWIW
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:57 am

Maybe, I hunt a lot but not as much as I did before I was married. I'm usually gone hunting or fishing on weekends and on vacation time, but I'm also home nearly every night to spend time with my wife so she is pretty happy, she knows what it means to me. I will say I lost a lot of great girlfriends when I raced stock cars, one I would have probably been married too right now if I hadn't raced. She didn't like playing second fiddle to a shiny fast car, and I wasn't around enough. I don't blame her for leaving. I also don't know that I regret racing either though, met some of my best friends from it and I have some awesome stories!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”