Back tags in WI?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Back tags in WI?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:30 am

I didn't want to sidetrack the call in reg thread, so I started this one...

Can you guys tell me what other states have gone away from the back tags? I know some have, just not sure of which ones....

I hate the tags as much as anyone, just wondering what the big attraction is to the WI DNR for keeping them? If it works for other states, why not us?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Back tags in WI?

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:45 am

No back tag for Minnesota, just have to carry it.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 am

As far as I know, New York is the only other state with a back tag requirement.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:15 am

I have never figured out why? The DNR needs to contact Bo Ryan about identifying players/hunters.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 am

they were almost gone here until the Chi Vang incident. back tags aided in his capture. I thought I heard that the back tag issue was going back up on the ballot for the spring hearings, but not positive. I see them gone eventually. we just need to be patient. write a letter to Scott Walker. he has done great things for the outdoorsmen. they are a waste of money and paper to print. it would save the state even more money. he may speed up the process.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:31 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:they were almost gone here until the Chi Vang incident. back tags aided in his capture. I thought I heard that the back tag issue was going back up on the ballot for the spring hearings, but not positive. I see them gone eventually. we just need to be patient. [glow=red]write a letter to Scott Walker.[/glow] he has done great things for the outdoorsmen. they are a waste of money and paper to print. it would save the state even more money. he may speed up the process.

http://walker.wi.gov/content/contact-us

I just did that.........hope he gets right on it! :D
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:10 am

Can't wait to get rid of those safety harness tether catchers! I used to like then back when they were the old paper ones, you could tell if a hunter had killed a buck because the bottom of the tag was the antler tag , so once you tore it off it it was only 2/3rds the size.

BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:14 am

I may get ripped for this but I put my backtag on my backpack and leave it there when I hang it up in my tree. I hunt private land 95% of the time. Otherwise a backpack would cover it up anyway when walking in correct?
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:22 am

Guys have been busted for that before, I think MOST officers would be fine with it because they understand what your doing, but some would write the ticket and have. I keep mine on my back in warmer weather, when I walk in my stand covers it, so I could get nabbed too. When its colder I have it on my jacket which I bungee to the stand so its visible.
BJE80 wrote:I may get ripped for this but I put my backtag on my backpack and leave it there when I hang it up in my tree. I hunt private land 95% of the time. Otherwise a backpack would cover it up anyway when walking in correct?

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:28 am

...i put it on my outer layer (trestand) so visable..when I get to my spot I take iy off and put on my back or outer layer so vislable wile setting up stand ...never no where that warrden is

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:30 am

After losing my backtag last year and then having to pay over $30 for replacement tags I am all for this. Can't believe WI has stuck with this stupid rule so long while surrounding states did away with them many years ago.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:04 am

Dewey wrote:After losing my backtag last year and then having to pay over $30 for replacement tags I am all for this. Can't believe WI has stuck with this stupid rule so long while surrounding states did away with them many years ago.

$30!!! Thats INSANE! I thought I lost mine for a while but was able to track it down but I figured it would be a couple bucks to print off a new one. Why on earth would it cost that much? Another great reason to get rid of the dang things.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:20 am

binney59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:After losing my backtag last year and then having to pay over $30 for replacement tags I am all for this. Can't believe WI has stuck with this stupid rule so long while surrounding states did away with them many years ago.

$30!!! Thats INSANE! I thought I lost mine for a while but was able to track it down but I figured it would be a couple bucks to print off a new one. Why on earth would it cost that much? Another great reason to get rid of the dang things.

That was to replace my gun, archery, antlerless and fall turkey tags. I agree insane is the word for this.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:59 am

BJE80 wrote:I may get ripped for this but I put my backtag on my backpack and leave it there when I hang it up in my tree. I hunt private land 95% of the time. Otherwise a backpack would cover it up anyway when walking in correct?

I believe it has to be visible. if you wear the backpack, (on your back. lol), you need it on your backpack. once you remove your backpack, you need to take the tag off and fasten to the back of your outermost garment so it can be visible. then take it off when your done hunting and put back on your backpack if your wearing your backpack on the way out. I wonder if the only reason they still make you wear them is for a revenue maker? (people losing tags and have to buy replacements or citing people for not having them on). I doubt they make more money off these two issues after the cost of paper to print them all, but one sometimes wonders.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:49 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:

I believe it has to be visible. if you wear the backpack, (on your back. lol), you need it on your backpack. once you remove your backpack, you need to take the tag off and fasten to the back of your outermost garment so it can be visible. then take it off when your done hunting and put back on your backpack if your wearing your backpack on the way out. I wonder if the only reason they still make you wear them is for a revenue maker? (people losing tags and have to buy replacements or citing people for not having them on). I doubt they make more money off these two issues after the cost of paper to print them all, but one sometimes wonders.

Last year my older girls took the hunter safety course. A Waukesha County Warden told us that they have to be on your back and not anywhere else.

chris

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”