Back tags in WI?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Back tags in WI?

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:06 am

BJE80 wrote:I may get ripped for this but I put my backtag on my backpack and leave it there when I hang it up in my tree. I hunt private land 95% of the time. Otherwise a backpack would cover it up anyway when walking in correct?

I was stopped by a warden at my truck and I had my back tag on my treestand in the middle of my back. He told me the law clearly states that you must wear it on your outermost garment in the center of your back and that a treestand is not a garment.
He said, furthermore your not wearing it when you take your treestand off. I explained that it is immediately put on my jacket when the stand comes off. He looked at my jacket for the tag holes and then let me off with a warning.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:09 am

BJE80 wrote:I may get ripped for this but I put my backtag on my backpack and leave it there when I hang it up in my tree. I hunt private land 95% of the time. Otherwise a backpack would cover it up anyway when walking in correct?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 am

If that isnt just the biggest case of nitpicking I've ever heard of! I wonder how they interpret it when an arrow isn't nocked, because until one is legally your not hunting. I would think legally you would not even need to have one until you load a firearm or nock an arrow by their laws.
dan wrote:

I was stopped by a warden at my truck and I had my back tag on my treestand in the middle of my back. He told me the law clearly states that you must wear it on your outermost garment in the center of your back and that a treestand is not a garment.
He said, furthermore your not wearing it when you take your treestand off. I explained that it is immediately put on my jacket when the stand comes off. He looked at my jacket for the tag holes and then let me off with a warning.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:22 pm

That is a bunch of crap Dan, if you would have had it on your back, covered by your stand he could have said the same thing. The regs say you can't have it covered by even a hood.

Time to get rid of the stupid things. I got checked by a Warden during gun season, had my tag pinned to my back pack, which was bungeed to the outside of my stand, it was visible, he didn't say a word about being a violation. Seems like a lot of gray area to me.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:That is a bunch of crap Dan, if you would have had it on your back, covered by your stand he could have said the same thing. The regs say you can't have it covered by even a hood.

Time to get rid of the stupid things. I got checked by a Warden during gun season, had my tag pinned to my back pack, which was bungeed to the outside of my stand, it was visible, he didn't say a word about being a violation. Seems like a lot of gray area to me.

Exactly. I got the run around on public from both scenarios. Never got a ticket but came to the conclusion you are going to get talked to if you have a stand on your back. After my incidents, I keep it attached to my fanny pack which falls center back when carry my stand and sticks. I strap it to the tree when on stand.

whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:59 pm

I always wear mine on my outer most visible area of my back {backpack or stand} to be seen by any person or warden who wanted to. not the correct way but the lesser of two evils IMO.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:18 pm

No tag needs to be worn in Ohio.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:01 am

I'd like to see these things gone. Hate the back tag, and the trouble it causes.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 am

Peta actually tells its members to look for guys wearing those backtags and get the number off it and make up violations and call them in to the tip line... You should avoid having your tag be seen in videos or pictures you post. And don't wear it into shopping malls and such.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Backtags are foreign to me in Indiana but maybe we had them long ago.

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 am

I realize I may be in the gray area. Like I said, when I get to my stand my backpack gets hung up and then the tag isn't even on my back while on-stand. If they want to give me a ticket for that. So be it.

Public land, it goes on my back.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:54 am

Back tags were meant to stop trespassing. But its like Demacrats outlawing guns to stop murder. We already have laws against Trespassing. Trespassers just take there tag off when they trespass.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”