when the season finally rolls around?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

basspro05
500 Club

when the season finally rolls around?

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:32 am

So lets say I've done my late winter/spring scouting. I have my beds located, I have glassed and shined my fields taking inventory of my bucks....

So when the season finally rolls around and everyone starts hitting the woods...is the only way to keep tabs on these deer to hunt them?

I guess the only thing I worry about is days and days worth of scouting gone to waste because of pressure from other hunters. Where I hunt in KS the largest public pieces are 80-160 acres normally, surrounded by thousands of acres of private. I am afraid after the first few weeks the mature deer will stick to private until dark.

In areas such as this, how do you keep track of deer in season and how aggressive do you get opening week to get tob them before others pressure the heck out these properties?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Edcyclopedia

Re: when the season finally rolls around?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:20 am

basspro05 wrote:So lets say I've done my late winter/spring scouting. I have my beds located, I have glassed and shined my fields taking inventory of my bucks....

So when the season finally rolls around and everyone starts hitting the woods...is the only way to keep tabs on these deer to hunt them?

I guess the only thing I worry about is days and days worth of scouting gone to waste because of pressure from other hunters. Where I hunt in KS the largest public pieces are 80-160 acres normally, surrounded by thousands of acres of private. I am afraid after the first few weeks the mature deer will stick to private until dark.In areas such as this, how do you keep track of deer in season and how aggressive do you get opening week to get tob them before others pressure the heck out these properties?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

It's called hunting limitations - And You're limited to public...

The regression is hoping the bucks still come your way, but father time is against you, meaning more hunting pressure as the season progresses.
It is called hunting and NOT shooting for a reason... :mrgreen:
Having numerous locations ups your odds! (I know - easier said than done...)

As far as mature deer sticking to private until dark; I think they will stick to dark no matter where they are, public or private.
Proximity to bedding = better odds for sure, but not too close or game over.
I find the magical 100-125 yards (for me) to be as close as my clumbsy approach will allow...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”