Moon Phases and Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OH nontypical
500 Club

Moon Phases and Rut

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:03 am

So I was in the dentists office the other day and read this article in Deer and Deer Hunting about moon phases and the rut's timing. I was floored to see what was said in the article (see below). I thought Charles Alshiemer and his moon calendar were directly related to Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine?? He may have a hard time selling his rut calender if his own magazine is putting out articles with research debunking his whole rut timing theories.

For what its worth I believe the rutting dates for the states I hunt are pretty consistent year to year. I was not floored by the findings in the articles, just surprised to see in Deer and Deer hunting.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Moon Phases and Rut

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:34 am

Read that article and I think they nailed it, they also said Alshiemer debunked the moon overhead and underfoot stuff but didn't give any details. I'm a big fan of overhead/underfoot moon days but I think the key to using them is to ignore most of daily times and just focus on the prime days that Dan posts.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Re: Moon Phases and Rut

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:12 am

Headgear,

Do you think he (Charles Alsheimer) will be backing away from his whole "second full moon after the Autumn equinox" triggers the rut theory?

I have never found his projections to be very accurate and the fawning dates rarely change from year to year in any state.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”