ahhh!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Re: ahhh!!

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:26 pm

will do!! im patiently waiting for the snow to melt so i can see if i can find his sheds! its killing me! i honestly thought about shoveling the snow around his bed LOL...

we got 3" or so after i was at the bed..he very well may not know i was there..and he is used to light pressure there from rabbit hunters once in a while...

i have atleast 2 more tracts id like to scout...both are pretty tough terrain and BIG..and this snow is a killer to walk in..im still going to suck it up and maybe break them down and hit them a few times instead of trying to hit it all in a day or 2...looks like i'll have snow for atleast the next week or longer..nothing warm enough to burn it off in any forecast yet...

i wish i could get to camp to scout...the places i need to scout arent accessible with this snow..it was rough going with a few inches of powder in rifle season...

its eye opening what you can learn from winter scouting...

finding that bed confirmed my biggest question....will big bucks bed in different areas during different parts of the season...part of me thought they WOULD bed somewhere different during the season..different food..lots of pressure etc...but i learned (atleast that buck) is bedding where he did in the fall..and thats evident by the rubs in his bed...he didnt make em recently...that in itself was huge for me to learn on my own and see first hand...it makes sense..they KNOW where they have the advantages..they will bed there all year to keep those advantages...

that buck i really think is bedding there using mostly just his eyes and ears..i dont know that he uses it on certain winds..its farmland..its scary how much he can see...and if you try to get near him from any direction he hears you..

i am pretty much stuck to only hunting him going out one direction...hes using that direction right now...im hoping that early in the season he will get on his feet before dark and mill around that stand of young cherries behind his bed...i can kill him there...there will be corn in the fields...but theres also going to be corn and possibly beans to the direction i just dont think i can cover...but as you can see he is so close to the open he isnt going to take a step into that till after dark...i think that cluster of cherries is where i will let the air out of him...i need to see if he has a rub line in there...i didnt notice anything but didnt hammer it hard..i was too excited after finding his bed and trying to follow his tracks around a bit..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”