There's A Lot Of Talk Of Killing Bucks, But..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: There's A Lot Of Talk Of Killing Bucks, But..

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 am

I took my two baldies straight to the meat locker last season. I had some steaks made, summer sausage, wieners, two roasts, and a ton of hamburger. I gave some meat to my grandma and a friend who helped me track one of the does. I made some venison stew out of the slow cooker with the two roasts already. I buy the Mccormick pot roast mix in the little pouch, add about two cups of water, the powder mix, 1 roast, and cook it frozen on high for about 6 hours. I add vegetables about the last hour, or they tend to turn into mush and never be seen again in your stew. Also, pour the stew gravy over some mashed potatoes and you're good to go... I also like boiling the wieners. I dont get to fancy with venison. I like steaks medium rare off the grill with salt and pepper and A1 sauce. Nothing tastes better than that IMO. I also made some tacos with some hamburger...

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:15 pm

I think scouting and eating them are my highlights..... seriously

Tied Neck roasts, ground w 10% beef fat, a few roasts and cube steaks.

We made a french country stew Monday w 3 different kinds of mushrooms, half a bottle of red, a ton of rosemary, and black pepper.....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Im gonna have to try the brats... sounds delicious

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:45 pm

For pastrami and corned venison I have been using the kits or bulk from this place.

http://www.eldonsausage.com/default.asp

The sausage I use recipes and ingredients.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:18 pm

I make more roasts than anything. I put them in a slow cooker for 4 hrs? Then I shread it so I can have venison sandwiches. SOme good bread with mayonase on both sides made a good filling lunch. Mayonayse takes away any wild taste.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks Joe and Spysar! I'm gonna try those out!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:19 am

I try to use it for anything I would use for beef..... Mostly steaks, fried nuggets, stew, goulash, bacon wrapped stuffed with jalepeno and cream cheese, and use the tougher shanks and stuff like that for burger and sausage... we usually eat about once to twice a week, only cause I keep a lot of fish and shrimp in the freezer or it would go faster
Make It Happen
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:04 am

Eat deer almost 5 days a week. I'm one of those nuts who eats paleo. No bread or dairy, just meat, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds. I have have to stay in really good shape for my job so its a really good lifestyle for me. Deer is the easiest source of protein, least expensive and most tasty in my opinion. Plus way better than store bought crap. I just really enjoy the process. My buddy and I did a deer ham the other day it was insanely good. We brined a hind quarter(bone in) for about 7-8 days from a young doe. We loosely wrapped it in foil and smoked it on a webber grill for about an hour and other than the consistensy of it not being ham it tasted exactley like a smoked virgina ham. Insane. It had a nice crust on the outside and really moist. I highly recomend it. It would be great to do for a party or holiday.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”