anyone use thumb release?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

anyone use thumb release?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:58 pm

I'm seriously thinking of going to a thumb release this year.... one question, when the bow is just hanging on your bow hanger in the tree, do you keep the release just clipped on to the loop on the bow string? And do you have anything for a way to keep from accidently dropping the release to the ground?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

lostinstateforest

Re: anyone use thumb release?

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 am

http://www.cabelas.com/product/T-R-U-Ba ... lsrc=aw.ds

I shoot this release now. It is always closed unlike other releases that the jaws are always open unless cocked. The jaws open with pressure but close without pressure. You would be hard pressed to bump it off. I shot a chocolate last year and never clipped it to my bow for fear of it being bumped

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
buckyforever

Unread postby buckyforever » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:20 am

I use a Stan SX2, and I keep it hooked on the bow while in the tree. I haven't had any problems dropping it out of the tree, but do carry a spare release in my pack in case of dropping or forgetting my primary release.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:06 am

You have seen my Carter Chocolate Addiction I think. If you want to shoot it let me know. I keep it clipped to the D loop when hunting. I have never dropped it but always worried I could so I'm gonna buy a spare just in case. I have left it on the ground next to the bow and had to go back down for it in the climber. I would never go back to a wrist release after using a Carter! I wouldn't get a caliper one, look for one with a sear in it, they cost more but its worth it.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:17 am

Brad..... yes, I remember looking at your release that one night, but now I don't remember exactly what it looks like......... can you post a picture of it?
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:20 am

I shoot a Carter Chocolate Lite. I have never shot better and I hated having a release strapped to my wrist.

I leave the release clipped to my loop once I am set in the tree.
"In the deed, the glory"
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:24 am

jakedeaver wrote:I shoot a Carter Chocolate Lite. I have never shot better and I hated having a release strapped to my wrist.

That's the point to where I'm at, I just hate that thing strapped to my wrist.... and then if you put gloves on, it doesn't fit the same anymore.... I really think I would like the thumb release... I was just looking at the Carter's on ebay, they don't give them away, do they? :shock:
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:40 am

I am in the same position and just ordered a chocolate addiction to try. Reviews seem good and its supposed to be good for bigger hands. Not cheap through at $188.
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:14 am

I have a Carter Plain 1 and really like it. I customized a release strap and tuck it in. I will take a picture when I get home from work.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:17 am

My son and I also use the Tru Ball Max pro 4. Simple and perfect for hunting.

Clipped on the bow and hands stay warm in a pocket, release is ready at all times.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 am

Don't buy them new, get one on archery talk, I think I paid 110 or 120 for mine and it was like new. If you want me to I can keep an eye out for one of you want.
dreaming bucks wrote:
jakedeaver wrote:I shoot a Carter Chocolate Lite. I have never shot better and I hated having a release strapped to my wrist.

That's the point to where I'm at, I just hate that thing strapped to my wrist.... and then if you put gloves on, it doesn't fit the same anymore.... I really think I would like the thumb release... I was just looking at the Carter's on ebay, they don't give them away, do they? :shock:

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:29 am

Sure, if you see one, let me know.... I may go over to Pappas & see if they have any to try out.

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:46 am

Brad, what is the difference between the release you use and the Tru Ball Max pro 4? I have been looking at one of those for awhile. Thanks.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:58 am

Jeff G wrote:Brad, what is the difference between the release you use and the Tru Ball Max pro 4? I have been looking at one of those for awhile. Thanks.

Tru Ball is a caliper and the addiction is a sear. I haven't shot either yet, but the sear should be a crisper release. I think the max pro 4 is more of a pure hunting release. Whereas the addiction is dual purpose, although I guess a target shooter can use whatever he wants. Honestly, there is so much information on these that moving from a strap release was confusing. I just went with one that many ATers liked and will work for my meaty paws.
jelmore

Unread postby jelmore » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:55 am

I shot the truball pro diamond this year, it helped my shooting a lot. truball sells a wrist strap for their thumb releases that fit in those slots on the side of the releases. I got one after I let mine go accidentally when I first got it :doh: . I hunted with the wrist strap with no problems. I plan on trying a stan or a carter this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”