hill country stand question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

hill country stand question

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:32 pm

i know that deer like to bed off points at approx 1/3 from the top. my question is...during the rut is it better to hunt closer to the points where the deer are bedded or to hunt at the head of a nearby cut/ravine?? i know jarrod recommended hunting at the head of these cuts at the 1/3 elevation but i know its also good to hunt near the bedding areas

buck_junkie

Re: hill country stand question

Unread postby buck_junkie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:35 pm

I hunt the doe bedding areas , the bottoms of hills espically those that come in contact with a substantial creek at the bottom seem to be winners in my area. I have always heard growing up hunt the does during the rut and that's what I do and it works.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:09 pm

I normally hunt 3 main ways successfully, a side hill with a leeward wind right at the wind tunnel, in between doe bedding where cruisers will travel, or adjacent to doe bedding where the bucks skirt the bedding to scent check for does.
But sometimes for the truly mature bucks I still hunt buck bedding. I don't believe mature bucksd participate as much in rutting activitys such as daytime cruising.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:29 am

dan wrote:I normally hunt 3 main ways successfully, a side hill with a leeward wind right at the wind tunnel, in between doe bedding where cruisers will travel, or adjacent to doe bedding where the bucks skirt the bedding to scent check for does.
But sometimes for the truly mature bucks I still hunt buck bedding. I don't believe mature bucksd participate as much in rutting activitys such as daytime cruising.

so dan do you hunt buck beds during the rut that u have located in the spring ? if you do have you already hunted them in early season,
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:17 am

so dan do you hunt buck beds during the rut that u have located in the spring ? if you do have you already hunted them in early season,

Yes... And sometimes yes. If I hunt a buck bed in the rut, I hunt the spot where I most likely believe he is bedding that day.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:18 am

;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:08 am

dan wrote:

Yes... And sometimes yes. If I hunt a buck bed in the rut, I hunt the spot where I most likely believe he is bedding that day.

how long have you hunted hill country was it before the marsh
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 am

I will be hunting hill country for the pre-rut, halloween time frame this coming fall. Do you guys find it's key to set-up in a LONG running ridge on the leeward side? Or is say, a crows foot type of ridge top more desirable with lots of doe bedding? I have the hill country dvd (and mapping trophy bucks book) but it doesn't explain as much as I could gain from real experience and I definitely believe real life experience explains more than a video could. Any assumptions or tips would be awesome. I'm going in blind with studying maps ahead of time. Thanks ahead of time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:09 am

Jack - My favorite is a crows foot type situation where multiple ridges come together for all day sits....

But I have seen lots of good bucks on benches (not always the leeward side either)

Saddles work, especially when it is tighter space between peaks - 50 yard or so and the tops are longer ridges just like Mapping Trophy Whitetails describes

The key is sticking tight all day no matter what... sometimes I start second guessing around 9-10AM without a deer sighting and then the next 3hrs are non stop action
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 am

every year i have good luck around holloween i shot my buck last year on the 30th and my friend his was on the 31st, i was hunting a funnel in the morning when a 10 point came through i barly got the shot off but i got him. my freind was hunting the lee side of the hill like you said, and had good luck. he shot his buck around 1 hour before dark just traviling the one thierd elevation, he stuck it and it ran for the rigde and bouced off the fence :shock: itwould been a long drag :shock: after the shot he looked out on a point and seen an even bigger buck :shock:
i also like hunting near or around doe bedding areas in the afternoon ive had good luck with that in the past, not so much big buck movment. in that situation u could still get away with hunting big buck bedding areas, it seem thats there the last to start rutting. another thing in the movie talked about cutts in terrain when you find them it wiil be ovbious were they travel through, manly on the high side they cross because of the thermals/ tunnle
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

Bucky wrote:Jack - My favorite is a crows foot type situation where multiple ridges come together for all day sits....

But I have seen lots of good bucks on benches (not always the leeward side either)

Saddles work, especially when it is tighter space between peaks - 50 yard or so and the tops are longer ridges just like Mapping Trophy Whitetails describes

The key is sticking tight all day no matter what... sometimes I start second guessing around 9-10AM without a deer sighting and then the next 3hrs are non stop action

Jack, I agree with Bucky's answer... But if the best looking terrain feature is a long ridge that will work too.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:56 am

how long have you hunted hill country was it before the marsh

I hunted Hill country on and off my whole life. I have hunted more though, in S.E. Wisconsin which is marsh, farm, and swamp.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 am

i cant wait untill you get that farm land movie going its going to bad
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”