Scent smoker

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Btoeps74

Scent smoker

Unread postby Btoeps74 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:37 am

Anyone ever try using a scent smoker? Seems kind of gimmeky but at the same time seems plausible in theory. They seem to be popular in ohio when reading the reviews.

http://scentsmoker.com

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Brad

Re: Scent smoker

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 am

I don't use any scent control anymore, I have come to the conclusion that you just can't beat a big bucks nose unless you don't allow him to smell you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 am

Never have tried one. Had a friend that used one. He said it works great. I asked him if he got busted when using, it he said yes. I said no more.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 am

I have not tried it, but it does not sound plausible. Deer separate odors so you can't over power one odor with another.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Used one a few years back- honestly saw some evidence SOME deer seemed as if there was nothing upwind, other came in to me investigative... Oddly friends in OH swear by them and have the walls to show they know a few things

Playing the winds is the only way to roll
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:51 pm

I tried this one year. Got busted more with more severe reactions. I was convinced that it not only didnt work but was harmful.

"In the deed, the glory"
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Before I found the beast I considered buying one, they are not that expensive compared to most other products, and they have rave reviews on archery talk. I read all those responses and figured it had to work, then I found the beast. Now I figure most of the success were deer not downwind and not getting the hunters scent.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Before I found the beast I considered buying one, they are not that expensive compared to most other products, and they have rave reviews on archery talk. I read all those responses and figured it had to work, then I found the beast. Now I figure most of the success were deer not downwind and not getting the hunters scent.

binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:41 pm

If you're going to use a cover scent I suppose smoke is better than fake fox whizz but the only real appeal I see is that smoke can kill bacteria which can lead to odor. I know I'm far from scent free but the only thing (besides playing the wind) that has helped was after hunting I run my clothes and boots in a bin with an ozone generator. Maybe it's placebo but I seem to have way less deer freak out if they cut the trail I walk in on. I have had them do that with no scent control as well but it seems more often with ozone.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:55 pm

One of my hunting buddies uses smoke from a bon fire as a cover scent when possible and I just don't understand the idea behind it. The ad says that the deer are used to the smell of smoke, which is true, but the odds of them smelling smoke in the location of your stand is very unlikely unless you are hunting right behind the farmhouse they mentioned in the ad. If that's not the case, the smell of the smoke seems more likely to put them on edge than anything else. I really think that there is no substitute for playing the wind and thermals.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:26 pm

I've seen the use of smoke in survival books and I think it's even in an army survival training manual... We have a regulation that says you can't hunt by the aid of smoke... So will actual smoke while hunting help conceal you a opposed to just smoking up your clothes?

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 am

I've been using hickory smoke out of the scentsmoker for 6 or 7 years. Some guys use bee smokers but the scentsmoker is designed to put out as much smoke as possible in little time. My scent control routine is to wash my clothes in baking soda before season. Base layers / socks get washed when needed but I also use merino wool so that helps with not holding human scent too. Preseason , all clothes and gear get covered in smoke. I still use the HS hunters soap or an unscented body wash. I just don't like having perfumey soaps on me in the woods. I try before every hunt to fire up the smoker and get that smoke all over me after Im dressed and ready to hunt. The idea behind the smoke is the killing of bacteria that causes human odor. I can honestly say Ive noticed a big difference in getting winded . I have witnessed different reactions to the smoke smell but cant say Ive had any deer come unglued and bust out when getting downwind. Some get a little nervous and stomp, trying to figure out what it is. Some put their nose up and continue about their business and more times than not , Ive have had deer follow my trail as if very curious. Some even chewed on the leaves that Ive brushed against. :lol: Im not saying this is magic pixie dust but I do know that the times I get "totally busted " from a downwind deer is a rare thing since using smoke.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:11 am

dan wrote:I have not tried it, but it does not sound plausible. Deer separate odors so you can't over power one odor with another.

Not even with Nosejammer?? :roll:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”