Moon calendar is this stuff real??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Moon calendar is this stuff real??

Unread postby keb » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Curious how many guys believe in this and plan hunts around it? More early season data is what I am looking for.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Bucky

Re: Moon calendar is this stuff real??

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:06 pm

keb wrote:Curious how many guys believe in this and plan hunts around it? More early season data is what I am looking for.

[ Post made via iPad ] [img]http://
www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/iPad.png[/img]

I think there is some validity in it.... fronts seem to have larger impact on movement though in my experience.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I believe in the moon... :P

Human pressure will dictate deer movement more than the moon phase.
In very non-pressured areas I believe it is accurate.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:10 pm

It works but as with fishing also....... Weather and hunter pressure trumps moon.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:12 pm

The only time I have seen a significant effect from the moon is when a new moon coincides with the chase phase of the rut. Then things can get pretty intense. Continued heavy cloud cover during the chase phase can also make it better.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Is there any scientific evidence that proves the moon causes deer to behave differently?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Bucky wrote:
keb wrote:Curious how many guys believe in this and plan hunts around it? More early season data is what I am looking for.

[ Post made via iPad ] [img]http://
images/mobile/iPad.png[/img]

I think there is some validity in it.... fronts seem to have larger impact on movement though in my experience.

X2

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:20 pm

When the moon is directly overhear and underfoot (moon transit) I have observed that deer are more likely to be on their feet. I keep close track of it but it is only one factor....weather conditions still trump all others in my opinion. If I get moon overhead + cold front coming through + late pre-rut, I will do just about anything to be in the woods.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:31 pm

I did a trail camera moon survey last year. You can read about my findings on the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=286&t=17707&hilit=moon+survey
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Cold front and then moon second.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:30 am

I have seen enough evidence that I know its a factor, but not all moon charts are created the same. Moon o/h and u/f is the only thing that I have observed differences in... Its not a huge factor in hunting season with pressured mature bucks, as others said, weather will trump it.
It does not have to be a huge factor to add success though... Say a buck moves about 100 yards from his bed in daylight each evening on average. When moon is over head is when that average peaks and he makes it to 175 yards... You might be able to kill him 175 yards from that bed, but not 100 yards...

Also, during rut, I have seen a significant correlation with daylight cruise times and o/h u/f times.

And while scouting, glassing or shining, you can go out and all the deer are bedded ( even at night ) or you can watch the moon chart and go out when they are moving / feeding
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:50 am

dan wrote:I have seen enough evidence that I know its a factor, but not all moon charts are created the same. Moon o/h and u/f is the only thing that I have observed differences in... Its not a huge factor in hunting season with pressured mature bucks, as others said, weather will trump it.
It does not have to be a huge factor to add success though... Say a buck moves about 100 yards from his bed in daylight each evening on average. When moon is over head is when that average peaks and he makes it to 175 yards... You might be able to kill him 175 yards from that bed, but not 100 yards...

Also, during rut, I have seen a significant correlation with daylight cruise times and o/h u/f times.
And while scouting, glassing or shining, you can go out and all the deer are bedded ( even at night ) or you can watch the moon chart and go out when they are moving / feeding

agreed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:07 am

I plan a lot of my hunts around it and have seen a dramatic difference in deer movement when the moon is right. Weather will get them moving too, especially an. October cold front. You cant kill deer without being out so I go when the moon is not right too but I know those days to be as close to beds as possible or just do annobservation hunt. When weather and moon phase coincide, I try to go for it. One buck I killed last fall came through at 11am right when the moon phase hit, he was crusing that first week of Nov.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:58 am

Good study Stanley, how would you gage pressure on the grounds the survey was conducted.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:11 am

I believe it's just another piece of the puzzle. It is one of many factors that affect deer movement. Ultimately I think pressure has the final say, but moon phase, weather, time of year and many other things all play a role.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”