Who has quit using scent control?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

I quit and get busted the same or less
67%
I quit and get busted more
3%
I still use scent control
25%
I have never tried scent control
5%

Total votes: 118
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:14 am

LETS BE HONEST...

I would like to hear from those hunters who have used scent control, and gave it up... Did your hunting get better? worse? stay the same?

PK_
500 Club

Re: Who has quit using scent control?

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:19 am

I quit, get busted less BUT i also learned a lot about utilizing the wind in that timeframe. I got winded once this year(that I know of) and have had over 20 downwind deer encounters within 200 yards(that I know of). Thats not a bad percentage for literally zero scent control.

I should add, my not getting busted was due to rising thermals.
Last edited by PK_ on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:20 am

I used to go the whole 9 with scent lok suits, not touching anything, changing in tree... still got busted when they were downwind... So geared it back to just spraying down and keeping clothes in containers... Since I have found the beast I now do nothing... May use scent free soap sometimes but usually wear dirty clothes and such and focus on the wind more now...

Only difference Ive noticed is an improvement due to using the wind better... No difference as far as deer busting me cause they always have when downwind... I enjoy hunting more without all the scent control stuff as well
Make It Happen
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 am

I haven't used any scent control products, devices, gadgets at all this last season and saw more deer than I have in the last 3 years, and put down 2 mature does. I give credit to setting up according to the wind.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:32 am

I quit, started scouting more and understanding how deer use the wind and how I can use it to my advantage. I had my best year for encounters this year hunting from the ground, which made me even more wind savvy.

If your scent is blowing to the buck there is a 99.9 percent chance he will pick it up.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
chester33

Unread postby chester33 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 am

I used to practice scent control. Have since quit doin it and learned to hunt the wind

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:39 am

Hi my name is Bryan, & I'm a recovering scent control addict. Gave it up a yr ago. This yr I was winded less because I considered wind/thermals on every hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:39 am

I voted "I quit and get busted more" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But, I think the reason I'm got busted more is a change in tactics. This past year I tried to focus more on bedding and got a bit too aggressive on several occasions. You definitely need to be on your toes. On the times I was busted, the scent control stuff I used to do wouldn't have made a difference anyway. The ways of wind currents and eddies is a learning experience.

Looking back, on times I hunted in spots where I used to, there was no difference without the "scent control".
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
uzi

Unread postby uzi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:45 am

Since I quit using scent control I actually get busted less but that is because I am paying more attention to thermals/wind. For me not having to deal with the mind game of "did I wash this?" or "is this scent free?" questions that use to rattle around in my head consistantly, the sport has become less expensive and more enjoyable!!!

Its also fun to debate with hunting buddies that are still on the scent lok program.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:46 am

I used to try to practice scent control.... Have even tried smoking up my clothes... Didn't matter.... I still got busted... I even pee outta the stand now...Have had deer go right over it and not so spook.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:47 am

I was crazy about scent control for years and when deer got downwind of me sometimes they busted me and sometimes they didn't. Thanks to Dan , I gave up scent control this year and only use scent free products (grocery store dye/scent free detergent) now to avoid UV Dyes, which I do believe will make you more visible to deer in low light conditions. Without a scent regiment to waste my time I arrive at stands earlier and without being uncomfortable from changing outside on a cold morning. This year, without scent control, when deer got downwind of me sometimes they busted me and sometimes they didn't...so the same results as before. Oh BTW, I ended up shooting a 140s class buck that was downwind of me, he was circling my position after I called him away from a doe he was chasing around. Clearly I got the shot off before he found my scent stream. If a TV "expert" had shot him, credit would be given to whatever scent control product sponsored the show.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:52 am

JohnnieU wrote:I was crazy about scent control for years and when deer got downwind of me sometimes they busted me and sometimes they didn't. Thanks to Dan , I gave up scent control this year and only use scent free products (grocery store dye/scent free detergent) now to avoid UV Dyes, which I do believe will make you more visible to deer in low light conditions. Without a scent regiment to waste my time I arrive at stands earlier and without being uncomfortable from changing outside on a cold morning. This year, without scent control, when deer got downwind of me sometimes they busted me and sometimes they didn't...so the same results as before. Oh BTW, I ended up shooting a 140s class buck that was downwind of me, he was circling my position after I called him away from a doe he was chasing around. Clearly I got the shot off before he found my scent stream. If a TV "expert" had shot him, credit would be given to whatever scent control product sponsored the show.

And that right there is why people buy into the scent control products. If you don't know about the thermals and testing with milkweed you would swear that your scent control worked that time... Great Example
Make It Happen
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 am

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 am

ttt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:26 am

So if we look at the results 15 minutes into the poll:
I quit and get busted the same or less 82% [ 18 ] x
I quit and get busted more 5% [ 1 ]
I still use scent control 9% [ 2 ]
I have never tried scent control 5% [ 1 ]

We only have one person who quit and got busted more... And if you read his post he explains that getting busted more had nothing to do with scent control, rather in his aggressive tactics.

Still, rather than look at the science, or the results of others, the nay sayers will still push scent control because they want to believe. They don't want to believe they wasted time and money, and they don't want to believe they have been tricked into buying into the magic pixie dust scheme.
Hunters really want to find some magic product that will put more big bucks on there wall... Reality is hard work, and hard scouting combined with time spent hunting is what puts bucks on the wall... Not magic suits.

If scent free products are a must have, me and Andrae must be the two luckiest hunters in this country. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”