Who has quit using scent control?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Who has quit using scent control?

I quit and get busted the same or less
67%
I quit and get busted more
3%
I still use scent control
25%
I have never tried scent control
5%

Total votes: 118
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Who has quit using scent control?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 am

Thats how they hook all these guys... The guy is passing himself off as a biologist, and a writer and doing a two part article that he hooks you on the 1st 1/2, then drops the sales pitch on the second 1/2...

adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:03 am

Just a question, so for an experiment if a guy was to put 2 trail cams out, at 1 camera he put 3 drops of human sweat and on the other he dumped a 5 gallon bucket of human sweat. Do you think the deer would stay away from both spots the same amount of time?? Just curious, if their was a way to do this it would be a very interesting experiment.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:04 am

Lol... I didn't see that... Well then I guess you can't trust that... If it's on the Internet it must be true right? Lol... Still though, I've had does bust me wearing rubber boots going into my stand thru a shallow drainage Creek.... I wasn't fully busted... She didn't snort and run but she knew I had been there... She was looking.... So how did she smell me with a little bit of water and rubber boots? I was high in the stand so she picked up my ground scent but how can they smell thru rubber? The myth buster show, he was wearing a fully enclosed suit and the hound still tracked him

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:09 am

adrenalin wrote:Just a question, so for an experiment if a guy was to put 2 trail cams out, at 1 camera he put 3 drops of human sweat and on the other he dumped a 5 gallon bucket of human sweat. Do you think the deer would stay away from both spots the same amount of time?? Just curious, if their was a way to do this it would be a very interesting experiment.

That would be an interesting experiment.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:13 am

Did some searching after reading the article Checkerfred posted and it seems scent does actually pass thru rubber. Here is something I found on rubber balloons being tested:
Matter is made of atoms that bond together to form molecules.
These particles are too small to see, but we can smell some of
them
! Scent molecules are so small
they can travel through the
balloon membrane.
Scent molecules are very volatile, which means that they easily
vaporize from liquid extract into a gas. We added a liquid
extract to the balloon, but it soon vaporized, filling the balloon
with scented air.
Air gradually leaks out of
the
tied balloon. This is because the
tiny air molecules inside the balloon move through the pores of
the balloon’s skin, in a process known as diffusion.
Air always
diffuses from areas of higher pressure to areas of lower
pr
essure. An inflated balloon has greater air pressure inside it,
so the air gradually diffuses into the lower air pressure
surrounding the balloon
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 am

dan wrote:
adrenalin wrote:Just a question, so for an experiment if a guy was to put 2 trail cams out, at 1 camera he put 3 drops of human sweat and on the other he dumped a 5 gallon bucket of human sweat. Do you think the deer would stay away from both spots the same amount of time?? Just curious, if their was a way to do this it would be a very interesting experiment.

You got that right Dan. I think that 5 gallons might be a bit on the extreme side, but I sure would like to see how concentration levels effect deer.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 am

62kodiak wrote:
dan wrote:

You got that right Dan. I think that 5 gallons might be a bit on the extreme side, but I sure would like to see how concentration levels effect deer.

Right, maybe if you wore stinking clothes, touched a bunch of stuff with bare hands, pissed by the camera, wore boots you stepped in gas and diesel fuel with, and at the other spot just wore clean clothes and clean boots and were careful about what you touched. I might try this by my house.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 am

Here is another good read for those interested... Sorry if this stuff bores you, it fascinates me :mrgreen:

In this crime dog nose study they tested how long dogs could smell an individuals odor on an item. Although fresher scent was recognized easiest, it says dogs have matched scents 7 years old :shock:

Here is a link, not sure if it will take you to the right page or not, it was page 56

http://books.google.com/books?id=R6rSP7 ... er&f=false
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am

adrenalin wrote:
62kodiak wrote:
dan wrote:

Right, maybe if you wore stinking clothes, touched a bunch of stuff with bare hands, pissed by the camera, wore boots you stepped in gas and diesel fuel with, and at the other spot just wore clean clothes and clean boots and were careful about what you touched. I might try this by my house.

I think they kind of did that on the mythbusters test when they had the dirty guy against the clean guy.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:We should discuss something less controversial..............such as repealing the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution :mrgreen:

:lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:46 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:We should discuss something less controversial..............such as repealing the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution :mrgreen:

:lol:

Took you long enough to look it up :lol:

OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:57 am

Remember when two of my buddies bought Elimitrex boots several years ago because they said Elimitrex could defeat a bloodhound. Once they saw everything that went into using them they gave up. Didn't last a season if I remember right. As far as wearing Elimitrex and defeating a Bloodhounds nose??? I doubt it highly.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:04 pm

My cameras don't get any mature buck activity for 7-10 days after I deploy them. If I were to stand by the camera I'm guessing they would never come by. If I were to drop 1 hair I'm not sure how long they would stay away. If I were to drop a fist full of greasy hair I am betting that would cause them to stay away longer than 1 hair.

I might try this next year. I could use 1 hair that was washed with the green soap and a fist full of greasy hair. If what everyone says is correct bucks should stay away the same amount of time. I am glad you brought this up I never have thought about this before.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:08 pm

OH nontypical wrote:Remember when two of my buddies bought Elimitrex boots several years ago because they said Elimitrex could defeat a bloodhound. Once they saw everything that went into using them they gave up. Didn't last a season if I remember right. As far as wearing Elimitrex and defeating a Bloodhounds nose??? I doubt it highly.

I wanted to do an experiment with those going through tall grass. I just couldn't justify the $100.00 for the Elimitrex boots. I did try chest waders in tall grass years ago and they did not help I got busted every time.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
365all_out

Unread postby 365all_out » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:26 pm

2 years going on no scent control here!

Question: How well can deer pick apart different scents?

I have tried twice sitting on bedding locations on 2 different private parcels where the wind was blowing right towards bedding or in the general area of travel from the bedding. One property the neighbor burns garbage almost every Thursday and I set up with that smell blowing over me towards the bedding location, that night I seen 1 fork buck that was in range down wind of me and didn't show any sign of knowing I was there (young deer though) the other property they were spreading cow poo that was pretty potent that day and tried using that as my cover and did not see any deer that night?? The strong smell of such things like burning garbage ext.. will they help you??? These were the only 2 times I tried this on wrong wind situations but always wondered if one "common" smell would out weigh another??

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”