Who has quit using scent control?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Who has quit using scent control?

I quit and get busted the same or less
67%
I quit and get busted more
3%
I still use scent control
25%
I have never tried scent control
5%

Total votes: 118
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Who has quit using scent control?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:01 am

Slight change of topic, but related...tight box blinds. While I HATE sitting in them, I have sat in them in areas where the wind is always swirling (secluded food plot scenario). I get busted while sitting in the tree, but I get away with it while sitting in the stupid box. Anyone else? Or is it coincidence. Not saying its scent tight, but its definitely controlling the transport of my scent stream.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:09 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Slight change of topic, but related...tight box blinds. While I HATE sitting in them, I have sat in them in areas where the wind is always swirling (secluded food plot scenario). I get busted while sitting in the tree, but I get away with it while sitting in the stupid box. Anyone else? Or is it coincidence. Not saying its scent tight, but its definitely controlling the transport of my scent stream.

It can help I agree... but still not "scent" proof
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:12 am

dan wrote:
Spysar wrote:
Also guys are saying they learned to play the wind at the same time went without scent control. That is a major changer in what you might see. Of coarse a "scent free" guy who doesn't play the wind is gonna see less. Just learning about the wind will make you see more.

Dan I don't understand why you dismissed that off hand...its a valid point even though I know it might undermine what you were looking for. Most replies mentioned they were more careful about the wind at the same time as changing scent "control" routines. A guy who learns to play the wind is going to see more than a guy who doesn't regardless of what he is wearing. Everybody in this debate would agree with that. No ones saying someone can just forget the wind and wear scent loc.

A valid point is right... It makes my point. Not his... You have to play the wind. wearing magic suits did not work, so they abandoned them and then started seeing more deer by playing the wind... They would of seen the same amount if they abandoned scent control and hunted the same stands.

I think we all agree on everything with the exception of one thing. We all know deer down wind will bust you, that you have to play the wind, that actually eliminating scent is a stupid idea. Some people think, including myself, that we can and should minimize our scent footprint, just like we can and should minimize "human" sounds as we walk in and set up. Other people, including you, thinks it makes no difference what so ever, that scent is just there, or not there. All our observations are biased by our opinions, so what I have seen versus what you have seen really doesn't matter really. Lets just disagree and wish it was bow season!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:16 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Slight change of topic, but related...tight box blinds. While I HATE sitting in them, I have sat in them in areas where the wind is always swirling (secluded food plot scenario). I get busted while sitting in the tree, but I get away with it while sitting in the stupid box. Anyone else? Or is it coincidence. Not saying its scent tight, but its definitely controlling the transport of my scent stream.

I have never used one but often wondered the same thing. So I won't comment on if it would or wouldn't.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:29 am

Stanley wrote: I used fox urine as a cover scent one year. Got it from a fox farm. I had more fox sightings that year than ever. I had some trail me to the tree. I wore rubber boots with the bottoms saturated in fox urine. I did not see where it helped in my deer hunting though. I even had one red fox yelping and howling at the bottom of my tree. I think I got $60.00 for that pelt would have gotten $80.00 but the pelt had a big broad head hole in it.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I like that.....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 am

I think you can sometimes trap scent in a box blind or tent... But its not fool proof. There is a company that sells a plastic box blind that has a chimney tube that goes way up in the air that your air comes in and out of. I think that can work till you open the window.
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 am

I used scents a lot my first few seasons especially scent eliminating products even dabbled in estrous scents. I have never seen any results from the estrous scents. Scent eliminators I had some success with but looking at it retrospectively the wind likely was a much bigger factor in whether I got busted or not. This past season I reduced my use of scent elimination products drastically and my deer sightings were very similar to previous years.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 am

One opinion was that deer at long distance spook from lots of scent and the same deer would spook less at long distance from less scent, and therefore you would see less deer with no scent control... However, the survey is showing the guys who quit are having better results. I am sure most of those guys are hunting the property and stands multiple times.

It would be very similar to if you and a buddy got sprayed by a skunk at point blank range... You take a roll of dry paper towels and wipe yourself off... Your buddy does nothing. The paper towels probably reduced your stank by 20% but when each of you walk into the kitchen is there going to be any difference in how fast your wives smell you?

Well, to a deer we stink worse than the men sprayed with skunk. They catch your odor from 10 yards, or 600 yards they know where your at.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 am

I wash my clothes just so they don't smell like manass and shower so I don't smell like pit. Other than that, nothing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:26 am

This is a good read... Pretty much tells me there is no way to rid ourselves of scent and, to me, is even pointless trying to reduce it... All of the scent glands and smells we omit... Especially read the part about the rubber boots at the end.. Pretty much backs up what Dan and others are saying

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/arm ... part1.html

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:32 am

checkerfred wrote:This is a good read... Pretty much tells me there is no way to rid ourselves of scent and, to me, is even pointless trying to reduce it... All of the scent glands and smells we omit... Especially read the part about the rubber boots at the end.. Pretty much backs up what Dan and others are saying

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/arm ... part1.html

How animals smell us!

Scientific research on the ability of wild animals to detect odors is minimal. But a good bit of work has been done on the dog's sniffer, because dogs can be taught to respond to olfactory stimuli and because search and rescue people and the DEA guys at the Miami Airport are interested in how well dogs smell. From findings we can extrapolate, to a degree, what a deer or bear or even fox and coyotes might smell, and how they might smell it. Dogs detect scent that is carried on thermal currents and scent that is on the ground. The airborne scent is comprised primarily of volatile molecules of aliphatic acids. A dog can detect concentrations as low as one part in 10 quadrillion. The ground scent comes from aliphatic acids that leak through our boots, even through rubber boots (a dog has detected the scent of a person eight minutes after putting on a new pair of 0.2-millimeter thick rubber boots). Secondarily we produce a ground scent downwind of where we walk a trail of smell, created by our constantly shedding scurf and it's bacteria hitchhikers.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 am

Yup that's the part... Before I found that I was about to post how they can smell thru rubber.... And if they could smell our scent trail downwind as opposed to only if they cross it.. I would think tho that it wouldn't drift as far as our body smell.... This makes me wonder how we can even kill a deer more less a mature deer.. Well I say we.. I really mean yall because I've only only killed one so far in my hunting years lol

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:50 am

The part the biologist wrote about the scent passing thru rubber is new to me... That was a surprise.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:54 am

dan wrote:The part the biologist wrote about the scent passing thru rubber is new to me... That was a surprise.

Actually looking closer, I don't think the guy is a biologist... And I bet part two is where the sales pitch for some product comes into play.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 am

dan wrote:
dan wrote:The part the biologist wrote about the scent passing thru rubber is new to me... That was a surprise.

Actually looking closer, I don't think the guy is a biologist... And I bet part two is where the sales pitch for some product comes into play.

Something smelled fishy so I researched the author and found out he owns a scent elimination company.

Barry is the owner of Swanson True Scent Company

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”