Saddle question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OH nontypical
500 Club

Saddle question

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:46 pm

So i have been doing a bunch of cyber scouting and was wondering how to target stand sites/beds near saddles. Snipped a pic of one off a map. I cant hunt this area but it looks like a classic saddle so though I would ask for input then apply the knowledge learned when I find a good one.

Thanks

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Saddle question

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:51 pm

I would hunt that saddl;y on the top of the narrow side with a South , S.W, or S.E. wind ( during rut for cruising bucks) I would hunt the lower side of the narrow part (during rut) on a NORTH, N.E. OR EAST WIND.

There is not a buck bedding area close enough to put me in that spot outside the rut. I would be in other spots on that map.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Dan do you ever see deer move in the low spot of the saddle, ie the middle between the two highest points?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:58 pm

OH nontypical wrote:Dan do you ever see deer move in the low spot of the saddle, ie the middle between the two highest points?

Yes... They move along the ridge which will put them at that low spot eventually. Thats usually a crossover spot too. And, thats where I was referring to set up.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Ok I see it now, I had always thought them to be great rut spots but was never sure where to set up. I am going to go back and look at my notes to see if I have actually had sightings or any kills in a saddle. Thanks
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Always good to ask any additional questions on your mind. I thought Dan was telling you during the rut to sit between the 1,000' & 1,020' lines just NE of the northern most 1,040' hump not far from the 1,000' label. So I was a little :? :think:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm

I personally like to see a little deeper belly in the saddle. It gives you more chances of bucks at different elevations to pass through. A important thing about a saddle is what is on both sides that will make it good. Bucks are always going from one place to another. The better the structure, cover, benches, ditches, ridges etc on either side makes the saddle better to sit in during the rut or any time for that matter.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:35 pm

I feel the same Stanley (as well as a narrower saddle and a deeper cutting more gradual slope in the draws), as I know many Beast members do too, but with that photo being the only thing to go on it's hard to say if it would be better to hunt somewhere else or not. This could be a killer spot depending on what's around it.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I feel the same Stanley (as well as a narrower saddle and a deeper cutting more gradual slope in the draws), as I know many Beast members do too, but with that photo being the only thing to go on it's hard to say if it would be better to hunt somewhere else or not. This could be a killer spot depending on what's around it.

I agree, I more than likely would not hunt that particular saddle.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Like was said if the saddle was deeper it'd probably be a better rut spot...it still very well may be but might not be so defined and funneled...

I like to think of a saddle as an X...thats typically how it'll be used..depending on wind and doe bedding and feeding areas during the rut etc...you still have 20-40 feet of elevation so it might not be a bad spot...but might take fine tuning to get onto the right trail...just to have the next buck through take the trail you were previously on...

There are cuts on both sides of the saddle...that in itself may funnel deer movement...they may or may not be able to cross it where they wish..top of a cut that is pretty impassible can be a great spot when they are on their feet searching..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:36 am

A important thing about a saddle is what is on both sides that will make it good.

Stanly makes an excellent point here... Don't get hung up on saddles. A lot of people talk so much about these features that hunters start to think you need to find saddles and other features in order to hunt properly.

In truth, saddles are one of the last things I look for. 1st thing is always bedding. in rut, deer travel between bedding areas. Non-rut they travel from bed to food During rut you need to get on a ridge that connects the most bedding areas on the lee side... Outside of rut you need to be as close to bedding as possible. If a saddle just happens to be in the right position great, if not, you still need to set up where the deer move in daylight.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:04 am

Thanks for everyone's comments. I was just curious because I never though much about them before. I reviewed my notes and did indeed kill a buck in a saddle a few years ago but it was during the rut. It was a cross over area like described here. The picture I posted is not an area I can hunt anymore but I just posted to get the conversation going.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”