WI winter severity index???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: WI winter severity index???

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:48 am

Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:It was -32 this morning up in Land O' Lakes. :o

Yikes! :shock:

I still can’t get over the fact that they closed some schools down in Milwaukee because of the cold yesterday. They’re getting soft. Guess that means they’ll have off all of next week. :roll:

Guy at work told me school was cancelled for his kids in Racine. I laughed and said it won’t even be below zero. When I was a kid school never got cancelled for cold and rarely even snow. I walked to school in -20 temps often in the 70’s and 80’s.Wonder if they cancelled school way up north? :lol: Just another normal winter day.

Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:04 am

Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

I still can’t get over the fact that they closed some schools down in Milwaukee because of the cold yesterday. They’re getting soft. Guess that means they’ll have off all of next week. :roll:

Guy at work told me school was cancelled for his kids in Racine. I laughed and said it won’t even be below zero. When I was a kid school never got cancelled for cold and rarely even snow. I walked to school in -20 temps often in the 70’s and 80’s.Wonder if they cancelled school way up north? :lol: Just another normal winter day.

Yeah, just plain ridiculous. We rarely got off of school either. I was stunned they actually cancelled school at 11pm the night before. Wow, that was early and really unnecessary.

A coworker of mine, who lives in IA, said their kids school had a 2 hrs delay Friday because of the cold then decided to cancel school at 12:30. How stupid is that?!?! :roll:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:27 am

Net Guy wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

Yeah, just plain ridiculous. We rarely got off of school either. I was stunned they actually cancelled school at 11pm the night before. Wow, that was early and really unnecessary.

A coworker of mine, who lives in IA, said their kids school had a 2 hrs delay Friday because of the cold then decided to cancel school at 12:30. How stupid is that?!?! :roll:

Meanwhile the wildlife are living in those temps 24 hrs a day. People sure are wimps. :lol:
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:43 pm

Canceled school tomorrow already. They should just cancel Wednesday while they're at it. That would make 4 days in a row, 5 out of last 6. They’re getting SOFT!!! I didn’t think today was all that bad either. Weather terrorist at their finest.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:47 pm

And it's going to be colder Wed and Thurs.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:51 pm

Wind chill map for Tuesday/Wednesday. :o

Anybody hunting those days? :think:

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Dewey wrote:Wind chill map for Tuesday/Wednesday. :o

Anybody hunting those days? :think:

I have an outside chance at Thursday... We'll see
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:01 am

Starting to worry about WSI in MN too, the numbers aren't bad yet but we have a lot of snow piling up and it could be one of those bad years if spring comes late. I plow a cul de sac so the school bus can turn around and in the ten years I have been here the piles have never been this high or deep. Come on spring and global warming, we need you this year.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 am

headgear wrote:Starting to worry about WSI in MN too, the numbers aren't bad yet but we have a lot of snow piling up and it could be one of those bad years if spring comes late. I plow a cul de sac so the school bus can turn around and in the ten years I have been here the piles have never been this high or deep. Come on spring and global warming, we need you this year.

You're supposed to get a fair amount of more snow tomorrow too, correct?
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:45 am

headgear wrote:Starting to worry about WSI in MN too, the numbers aren't bad yet but we have a lot of snow piling up and it could be one of those bad years if spring comes late. I plow a cul de sac so the school bus can turn around and in the ten years I have been here the piles have never been this high or deep. Come on spring and global warming, we need you this year.

I agree! Up here, my snow banks are beginning to look like they did in 2014. I've run out of room for more snow! The one thing we haven't had that we did that year was the extended stretches of the deep, deep freeze. We've had some cold blasts, but they've been broken up by some short stretches of more moderate weather. I think the gains we've made in the deer population over the last few years are going be wiped out though. :cry:
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 am

Net Guy wrote:You're supposed to get a fair amount of more snow tomorrow too, correct?

Yep! Another round tonight..... :o
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 am

What's a little tougher right now is that there's a crust of ice, significant in some places, that they may have a tougher time getting at food in cut crops. Now that ice might be buried in more snow. Hopefully we get another thaw in the not too distant future... Mid-March. They can probably get by on browse for a while.
----------
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:02 am

Net Guy wrote:
You're supposed to get a fair amount of more snow tomorrow too, correct?

Yep, winter can be never ending up here, often starting in early Nov and sometimes lasting into May, recent years fishing openers in mid-may have been questionable because of ice. Between hunters, winter and wolves the deer just never get a break. Just have to tough it out like usual.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 am

Been a fairly easy winter so far even in the northwoods. Nothing out of the ordinary at this point. Gonna take a whole lot more to stress them out. Deer are tough animals. December and most of January was very mild. They got a heck of a boost starting out the winter.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabita ... siest2.pdf
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 am

Dewey wrote:Been a fairly easy winter so far even in the northwoods. Nothing out of the ordinary at this point. Gonna take a whole lot more to stress them out. Deer are tough animals. December and most of January was very mild. They got a heck of a boost starting out the winter.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabita ... siest2.pdf

Very true on December. Actually probably made it easier on the local fish populations as well with ice being ready so late!
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”