cyber scouting...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

cyber scouting...

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:56 pm

I have heard the term cyber scouting a lot on here. Just curious how many beast members have actually done this and been successful in seeing or even killing a buck without ever being to that particular spot or area before? Pictures and stories would be great.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: cyber scouting...

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Mapping Trophy Whitetails and Dan's Hill Country Whitetails... never hunted or looked at either spot until the day I walked into them.....

Last edited by Bucky on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:00 pm

That is impressive Bucky!

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:05 pm

Those are both giants. Awesome and congrats on both of them... what does that 2nd buck gross score?

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Just now saw the third one. All giants!

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Dan talks about moving and being in a spot for the first time... I believe that is key to killing big deer consistently. I'm constantly trying new stuff... I usually fail 50x before a success. But I love seeing new ground and after a while in the hills you get a good feel for where u need to be... so studying maps can work. Buck was 186" gross

The big buck was killed in hilly timber in Missouri... pic was when I got back to WI.

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:27 am

Cyber scouting can be extremely accurate for finding buck bedding areas... I have had a lot of success cyber scouting.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:31 am

Bucky - those are some pretty impressive results. I would be interested in the stories and maybe some marked up maps showing how it all came together.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:15 am

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 6kicIStqIs

I will leave the looking at the topo up to you.... how many guys will post on the internet the exact spot they shot a 186" animal! :lol:

This is privately owned property... but if you look South you will see plenty of public.... 8-)

This was a ridge top with multiple points over looking a river bottom... the property was an escape area from the heavily hunted public to the South. Opening day the deer where piling in all around me. I passed up almost 10 bucks before I shot the BIG one. It was Nov 13th... peak rut. So once the does were pushed off the public, every buck in the section was racing around along the river and coming to check bedding pts on the ridges. You can also see how the inside corner pinched with the river where I set up....

The black line is the river... if you look to the South of my stand you will see a drainage ditch that runs up to the West... bucks were coming in from the South and West along this ditch. I accessed from T to the North... you can see an tractor trail as well to the South that neighbors used to access their property to the South of the timbered pond. The buck died next to the pond. My first shot was a neck shot (all I had) as the buck was standing in heavy cover. He made it over the ridge and close to the pond before I caught up with him and finished him off. The sign on the chunk of property at the time was UNREAL!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:24 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:Bucky - those are some pretty impressive results. I would be interested in the stories and maybe some marked up maps showing how it all came together.

I sent you a PM with a map, stand location, access direction etc 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 am

The current show running on our Extreme whitetail tactics is on cyber scouting hill country.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:55 am

If you read BigHunts entry to the Big Buck Contest you can see how he used maps/aerials to determine approach, stand placement etc. as another example too

I typically look for certain things.... water, food location/non hunted area/park/refuge, topography, some type of feature that causes a pinch point and access that allows me to get there without alerting everything in the timber (this is not always possible).
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:07 am

Ok thanks I will check out bighunts post. I did see that show dan and was very impressed. It was very informative and I look forward to watching the future shows.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:04 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:I have heard the term cyber scouting a lot on here. Just curious how many beast members have actually done this and been successful in seeing or even killing a buck without ever being to that particular spot or area before? Pictures and stories would be great.

Here is an old thread to peek at:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20013&hilit=going+blind

Killed this buck still hunting into his bedding area found on map.

Killed these two bucks 1 week apart from a tree picked on a map.

That is just this past season. I have killed several others.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”