What is the best footwear to be scent free?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

slabbandit

What is the best footwear to be scent free?

Unread postby slabbandit » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:36 pm

I have had several instances wearing hot rubber boots during early season and late season where deer pick right up where I walked in. I think that my best success rate of not being so easily detected comes when I use a scent away product before leaving the truck. I try to keep my neoprene rubber bottom boots from contacting any foreign odors but I could probably do a lot better job of this.
I would really like to just wear a courdura type hunting boot for more comfort, I've had 2 total knee replacements and the big bulky rubber boots have tripped me several times this year. I'm just wondering before spending the money if these can be made as scent free as rubber boots.
I have had fair success using cover scents in the past such as a pre estrus doe scent and had a doe feed nose down right across my entry trail one time as I had used red fox urine as a cover scent. I hadn't even got my gear all situated in the stand yet and she didn't even lift her head and fed right on thru.
I don't know how many of you remember the skunk cover scent that came in the 2 bottles and didn't produce the smell until equal drops of each were placed on a cottonball and placed downwind of your stand. This product was very strong and worked but the deer seemed to know that this was done by an alarmed skunk and made the deer very cautious while moving thru the area.

Brad

Re: What is the best footwear to be scent free?

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 pm

If a deer crosses where you walk they will smell you. They may not freak out but if they come across where you walked they will know you were there. You could wear whatever you want sprayed with whatever you want it won't make a difference. Rather then trying to be scent free, try to set up your spots (and your approach) so no deer can smell you before you have the chance to kill it first. I have done zero scent control the past 2 seasons and have killed some of my biggest bucks with no scent products at all, my clothes were soaked with sweat, dirt, pet odors and food orders etc. I just make sure my wind is blowing to a safe spot and I'm OK. The scent control industry is the biggest sham in the hunting industry in my opinion.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:46 pm

I bought a pair of mucks Arctic Pros last spring and really liked them this year. I had multiple does walk over my paths and not bust me. They knew I was there, but didn't seem to care too much. I had a few 2.5 bucks cross my path as well. I only had one react where he spooked for a second, but he only flagged his tail for about one stride, then calmed back down. I did my best to walk on trails and such that I know deer were least likely take. Halfway in to most of my spots I have a creek somewhere along the way, I usually stand ankle deep in it for a few minutes. I usually need to stop to take a break by that point so I don't sweat and I figure I might as well let my boots get some fresh water on them. Does it help, probably not, but mentally I tell myself it can't hurt.

I also like the mucks with a couple toe heaters in them. I'm tall and have a low body fat so my feet are always the quickest to get cold. Mucks with those heaters have been a savior for me.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:59 pm

I use just cordura,leather and hiking boots. I use the same pairs all year shed hunting, turkey hunting ect. Before deer season I will wash them all in a scent free soap in a plastic tub, scrub them with a brush real good and let them air dry and only wear them in the woods during season.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
uzi

Unread postby uzi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Brad wrote:If a deer crosses where you walk they will smell you. They may not freak out but if they come across where you walked they will know you were there. You could wear whatever you want sprayed with whatever you want it won't make a difference. Rather then trying to be scent free, try to set up your spots (and your approach) so no deer can smell you before you have the chance to kill it first. I have done zero scent control the past 2 seasons and have killed some of my biggest bucks with no scent products at all, my clothes were soaked with sweat, dirt, pet odors and food orders etc. I just make sure my wind is blowing to a safe spot and I'm OK. The scent control industry is the biggest sham in the hunting industry in my opinion.

Absolutely agree with this!! Focus your time on finding the bullet proof entry and right tree. I have spent plenty of time and money on scent control... now I just spend that money on more Treestands and arrows. Btw, I have a scent lok coat and pants for sale if anyone is interested.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Brad wrote:[glow=red]If a deer crosses where you walk they will smell you.[/glow]They may not freak out but if they come across where you walked they will know you were there. You could wear whatever you want sprayed with whatever you want it won't make a difference. Rather then trying to be scent free, try to set up your spots (and your approach) so no deer can smell you before you have the chance to kill it first. I have done zero scent control the past 2 seasons and have killed some of my biggest bucks with no scent products at all, my clothes were soaked with sweat, dirt, pet odors and food orders etc. I just make sure my wind is blowing to a safe spot and I'm OK. The scent control industry is the biggest sham in the hunting industry in my opinion.

Yes, this! Careful where you walk. Watching a mature animal hitting your ground scent in an area normally absent of human traffic is one of the most frustrating things to experience in the stand, especially when you carefully considered your approach to avoid it....
slabbandit

Unread postby slabbandit » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:47 pm

That's about the conclusion that I've come up with also. It really makes no difference what kind of boot you wear. Just be more careful about your approach and exit to a stand. Might as well get a good, comfortable, and warm boot whether it's a rubber, cordura, or leather model.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:56 pm

uzi wrote:
Brad wrote:If a deer crosses where you walk they will smell you. They may not freak out but if they come across where you walked they will know you were there. You could wear whatever you want sprayed with whatever you want it won't make a difference. Rather then trying to be scent free, try to set up your spots (and your approach) so no deer can smell you before you have the chance to kill it first. I have done zero scent control the past 2 seasons and have killed some of my biggest bucks with no scent products at all, my clothes were soaked with sweat, dirt, pet odors and food orders etc. I just make sure my wind is blowing to a safe spot and I'm OK. The scent control industry is the biggest sham in the hunting industry in my opinion.

Absolutely agree with this!! Focus your time on finding the bullet proof entry and right tree. I have spent plenty of time and money on scent control... now I just spend that money on more Treestands and arrows. Btw, I have a scent lok coat and pants for sale if anyone is interested.

Yes and yes, what those guys said. There is a ground scent thred around here somewhere, some believe in it but I can't.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:00 pm

slabbandit wrote:That's about the conclusion that I've come up with also. It really makes no difference what kind of boot you wear. Just be more careful about your approach and exit to a stand. Might as well get a good, comfortable, and warm boot whether it's a rubber, cordura, or leather model.

I agree 100%

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Cordura is one of the worst materials for footwear concerning holding scent. It has so many places for scent to get trapped. I like smooth rubber boots knee high with pant legs tucked in. Some hunters can't get past a buck undetected as far as ground scent goes. I can and have many times. I have even posted pictures of me walking down a logging trail and have pictures of bucks walking down the same logging trail unalarmed just a short time later.

If you talk to any trappers they are most conscious of scent left behind. They prefer rubber boots. It is not easy and doesn't work under some conditions but it can be done. I have done it many times. Your best recourse is to walk where the deer don't. I try and do this as much as possible. There are times when this doesn't happen and you can't help it when a buck crosses your ground scent. I never keep trying things that don't work. If it doesn't work I don't use or do it.

I also recommend throwing out the chemicals they only add scent into the mix. Just clean boots is what I use. I did try the skunk stuff in the late 70s and it didn't work for me. I also tried fox urine. I saw more fox the year I used that stuff. Deer not so much.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Andrae wears leather boots and has more success than anyone I know... And I have shot a lot of big bucks wearing my work boots that are covered with oils and coolant... If they walk were you walk they know you were there. Entrance and exit. Thats what is important, and being mobile so they can't pattern you...

When they use hounds to catch people by ground scent, boots and carbon suits make absolutely no difference, and in all the testing I have seen the clean "scent free guy" gets found the fastest.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:04 am

One of the biggest elements in controlling the amount of ground scent you lay down is the bottom of the boots. Most guys wear the big Burly boots and they have huge scent holding cleats. The boots I wear have no cleats. The picture below shows the bottom of my boots (Tingley 17 Inch 3X ) and some Rockey boots for comparison. I wear tennis shoes & wool socks inside. I have arthritis in my big toes so my feet are problematic anyway. This works out for both scent control and foot comfort.

Couple of things; if you are walking in brush, tall grass, you will get busted every time. This is why the bottoms of the boots are real important. My system works only on bare ground and the dryer the ground the better it works. Dry leaves aren't too bad because they tend to disperse any scent that is left on the ground as the wind blows them around. Wind is better than light rain, just the way it is. I think the damp ground holds scent like a paste. Keep this in mind when setting trail cameras.

When you walk through tall grass and brush the scent you leave is at nose level for a buck. You won't get through undetected. When you walk on bare ground the scent you leave on the ground is 30 inches from the bucks nose. My system works because I use it where it will work not where it won't work. I think this why most guys can't get by a buck undetected.

Example; I used to hunt an area that I couldn't get to except crossing a small creek. I had a small boat and would paddle that across. I would always leave my boots on the other side and put them on after crossing and then go hunting. I would take them off and leave them there before crossing back to go home. If you throw your boots in the truck after hunting my system will not work.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 am

My next rubber boots will also be the "overshoe" style like Stanley has shown. I have an old pair (15 yrs+) of Marathon overshoe rubber hip boots and they still don't leak, plus they are the most comfortable boot ever because you throw a pair of shoes inside.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 am

dan wrote:Andrae wears leather boots and has more success than anyone I know... And I have shot a lot of big bucks wearing my work boots that are covered with oils and coolant... If they walk were you walk they know you were there. Entrance and exit. Thats what is important, and being mobile so they can't pattern you...

When they use hounds to catch people by ground scent, boots and carbon suits make absolutely no difference, and in all the testing I have seen the clean "scent free guy" gets found the fastest.

A hound could track me in my boots in a heart beat. Rubber has a distinct odor. A deer could track me in a heart beat. I have had so many deer cross my ground scent and not be alarmed that I know it's not an accident. Think of it like this If a car drives down the road and a buck crosses where that car just traveled will the buck be alarmed by the scent of the tires the car just left behind? Will the buck smell the human in the car? Could a hound track that car down the road? Of course the hound could.

Bucks cross rubber smell from tractors all the time it is an un-alarming smell. This happens all the time in ag country. In the pictures below what do both have in common? They both have a human, they both have rubber on the ground. In both pictures the human is isolated from the ground by the rubber. I had a lot of pictures of tractors, combines, trucks spreading lime. There isn't an area a buck can walk where he won't smell rubber. It is interesting to talk about even if no one believes it. All I can say it works or I wouldn't do it. I guess that is what makes it a good conversion.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:37 am

A hound could track me in my boots in a heart beat. Rubber has a distinct odor. A deer could track me in a heart beat. I have had so many deer cross my ground scent and not be alarmed

I know your opinion and respect it... But, I too have bucks cross my trail a lot and show no alarm. And when dogs are tracking, they are not following the rubber scent there following the human scent. I some of the tests dogs are only to find a certain person who is wearing rubber boots and scent free carbon clothes. Despite several other people going on and off the subjects scent trail the dog goes straight to the one person he is supposed to find... Its not the boot or the track they are smelling its the tiny scent particles that fall off you onto the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”